Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   cruise won't work 02 F350 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1076759-cruise-wont-work-02-f350.html)

74redone 06-20-2011 05:24 PM

cruise won't work 02 F350

I bought an 2002 F350 and the cruise doesn't work. Looking for a starting point.
T%hanks for the help!
Matt

jc8825 06-20-2011 05:29 PM

Does the cruise control light illuminate when you push 'ON', then 'SET ACCEL'?

projectSHO89 06-20-2011 06:09 PM

Jumper the SCDS and re-test.

74redone 06-20-2011 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by projectSHO89 (Post 10482871)
Jumper the SCDS and re-test.

What is the SCDS? I looked for a fuse but I didnt see one for the cruise. Nothing works. No lights on the dash or other buttons that are part of the cruise.
Thanks for the help!
Matt

Pinky Demon 07-19-2011 09:22 PM

Sorry to bump this, but my 02 250 started doing this randomly too. At highway speeds, I was not able to set the cruise control even after toggling the switch on and then setting, multiple times. The little green speed control light flicked on and off in less than half a second.

Anyone got a clue what's up?

F-250 Super Duty 07-19-2011 09:31 PM

Look at the sensor coming out of the anti lock brake module in the engine compartment. If it had the recall done then a fuse was added there to prevent these things from catching on fire. Check the fuse. If its an intermittent problem look at the butt connectors where that fuse was added, it might have corrosion at the connectors. I looked at the "quality" job my dealership did, drove it home and then replaced it all with watertight butt connectors and a water tight fuse holder. Just a suggestion.

projectSHO89 07-20-2011 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by F-250 Super Duty (Post 10597913)
Look at the sensor coming out of the anti lock brake module in the engine compartment. If it had the recall done then a fuse was added there to prevent these things from catching on fire. Check the fuse. If its an intermittent problem look at the butt connectors where that fuse was added, it might have corrosion at the connectors. I looked at the "quality" job my dealership did, drove it home and then replaced it all with watertight butt connectors and a water tight fuse holder. Just a suggestion.

The recall added a fused harness to the SCDS on the master cylinder, not the ABS module. The harness is a factory-assembled unit and should not have an "butt-connectors" in it. See instructions for 05S25 with supplements.

Pinky,

Follow the instructions given in post #2. The switch can become intermittent or exhibit high resistance and the quickest way to verify or exclude it is to bypass it temporarily. A straightened paper clip or similar works fine, just ensure it cannot short to ground during resting.

74redone 07-20-2011 06:09 PM

okay I checked my fuse and it is destoryed by brake fluid that leaked on it. What size fuse should this have? Would this fuse being out also affect my brakes?
Thanks for the help!
matt

Originally Posted by projectSHO89 (Post 10599103)
The recall added a fused harness to the SCDS on the master cylinder, not the ABS module. The harness is a factory-assembled unit and should not have an "butt-connectors" in it. See instructions for 05S25 with supplements.

Pinky,

Follow the instructions given in post #2. The switch can become intermittent or exhibit high resistance and the quickest way to verify or exclude it is to bypass it temporarily. A straightened paper clip or similar works fine, just ensure it cannot short to ground during resting.

projectSHO89 07-20-2011 07:33 PM

Go to a dealer's parts window and purchase a recall kit that includes both the harness and the switch and replace both of them. About $20 or so for the parts.

Pinky Demon 07-20-2011 08:38 PM

My truck was not included in the recall. What is the SCDS?

projectSHO89 07-21-2011 07:04 AM

That's the switch on the master cylinder that leaks. Speed Control Disconnect Switch.

Are you sure you weren't included in Recall 05S28? My 01 F250 certainly was. You can check for open recalls on your vehicle at Recall Notices| Ford, Lincoln & Mercury Owners | FLMowner.com

74redone 07-23-2011 10:36 PM

clean everything up and put in a new fuse and cruise works like a champ!!! Thanks ProjectSHO89!!!! I will be cruising to SD this Oct.& Dec.!!
Matt