Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Opinions wanted~ Exhaust systems- 95 F250 4X4 Utility body - Plow/tow Truck (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1076389-opinions-wanted-exhaust-systems-95-f250-4x4-utility-body-plow-tow-truck.html)

Bankrupter 06-19-2011 01:27 PM

Opinions wanted~ Exhaust systems- 95 F250 4X4 Utility body - Plow/tow Truck

As the title states I want options on current available systems that are not full custom but I can bend and weld pipe and have access to equipment to do so. I have decided that duels are not needed as the T case will suck the efficency out of them with the extra bends anyways. So 3" single... its a dinosaur and no emissions matter in this state.
Ill I need to keep is my O2 sensor and the rest don't matter to me or the law. Lets hear it men.... What are your thoughts? Stainless is a key factor with me also. I dont want to redo it in 2 years. Road salt is BRUTAL HERE....

Also being a city plow truck DB's are a factor. (think of me passing your home all night into morning, pushing snow ) But a nice healthy sound is a must...

Any and all opinions are valued. Speak freely and don't worry about what the next guy likes/thinks is the best. I don't care about " best" if it is not shown with a dyno pull...

blkF250HD 06-19-2011 02:03 PM

IMO, I'd keep it simple- a 3" in 3" out large Magnaflow (they're stainless) with a turndown before the rear axle or out in front of the rear tire. Less pipe and hangers to rot, less downtime.

rikard 06-19-2011 02:24 PM

On my old 302 I went with an after market Walker Y pipe, ss 2.5" pipes, Walker turbo muffler, and a 45 deg ss outlet in front of the rear passenger side wheel. I did replace the OEM cat with a low price high flow Catco. Although my original 180k mile cat was not damaged, the Y pipe was and it was much easier just to replace the entire system. I had a source for the ss pipe and did the work my self with clamps.
Big power improvement (seat of the pants) at higher Rpms with a good sound when hitting the loud pedal. Quiet and smooth at idle and no cackle when backing off the throttle below 3,000 Rpm. Very good system that lasted the 2+ years 40k miles I had the truck.
regards
rikard

Bankrupter 06-19-2011 02:43 PM

The factory "Collector" into Mr.Monster cat. ( never seen one that big ) is shot. ATM- I welded a 6 inch length of 3" pipe into the end of the cat to pass the sound check ie: cant hear leaks, for my last sticker. But the cat and y are rusted to hells end. I'll be Junking both for this system. I have patched all im willing to with that last glue job...

Header info is valued here big time. It has new heads and manifolds so atm it will come apart with out extracting broken hardware. So I feel now is the time to do them if Im going to. I have read a lot about shorty's and full length. (thinking full) But, know nothing about brands and bang for buck

So far im on the thought path with blkF250HD (keep it short and sweet) and with the higher end parts like rikard's walker Y and such.

Keep it comping, Thanks guys !!!

punkandpissed138 06-19-2011 08:01 PM

well if your going to ditch the cat then you could always do what my girls dad has on his. he has an 89 f150 w/351 and it doesnt have duel pipes..just one 28" glasspack i think? i dunno..its the longest glasspack they make and its not loud at all but does sound throaty

rikard 06-20-2011 06:34 AM

If your using a glass pack make sure the inner core isn't too small.
regards
rikard

White Max 06-20-2011 07:55 AM

What engine are we working with here? On my 5.0L, I went with a Magnaflow stainless steel y-pipe (p/n 93307) with cat, into a generic turbo muffler with an outlet in front of the rear tire. The Magnaflow y-pipe is a really nice piece. I'm waiting for the muffler to fall apart, at which point I'll replace it and the tailpipe with something in stainless steel (probably Magnaflow).

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...x/exhaust1.jpg

Bankrupter 06-20-2011 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by White Max (Post 10480544)
What engine are we working with here? On my 5.0L, I went with a Magnaflow stainless steel y-pipe (p/n 93307) with cat, into a generic turbo muffler with an outlet in front of the rear tire. The Magnaflow y-pipe is a really nice piece. I'm waiting for the muffler to fall apart, at which point I'll replace it and the tailpipe with something in stainless steel (probably Magnaflow).

That does look like a nice piece ! This is on the 351. Not 5.0 I have the 22 foot 6 inch long X 3 foot in diameter cat... Retarded !!! I may have exaggerated there but not a lot. :-X04

After seeing this part im looking up magnaflow stuff now. I want headers but that looks to be high QC with a ton of thought. Gonna see what else they have on the burner cooking ....

Keep them thoughts coming guys.

No glass packs on this truck. that is too 1980's for me. But I apreshate you commenting ! This is what I want to see ALL ideas caz I have none ....

To anyone that has pulled the cat :
Any odd reverb like a rice burner coming from the system. I have seen this on the newer mustang. Cats went back on it to stop it :(

mturnbull50 06-20-2011 12:54 PM

With a stock motor and no high performance application or needs, I'd say leave the stock manifolds. You will gain a tad with shorty's, a little more with long tubes. But for the cost, it really isn't worth it on a stock motor. A new y-pipe, high flow cat, and a single 3" Dynomax VT would probably give you what you're looking for. You can dump it underneath if you want, or run it out the side. With the VT you'll be whisper quiet at idle and while cruising, but when you lay into the throttle, it will open up and give you more flow and sound.

punkandpissed138 06-20-2011 01:51 PM

lol you could do what this one guy did and have 2 mufflers and have 4 pipes coming out infron of the tires on both sides. i actually like it because it looks all Mad Max ish

Bankrupter 06-20-2011 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by punkandpissed138 (Post 10481934)
lol you could do what this one guy did and have 2 mufflers and have 4 pipes coming out infron of the tires on both sides. i actually like it because it looks all Mad Max ish

:-hair 10 characters.

punkandpissed138 06-20-2011 04:26 PM

lol wha?
10 characters?

RustyGreen 06-20-2011 05:04 PM

lol, :) yeah, I just ran into 10 characters trying to post something else hahaha, didnt think to just type "10 characters lol !

rla2005 06-20-2011 08:03 PM

I have a Bassani 58150B2 Stainless y-pipe, 3" Magnaflow 59929 spun series converter, 3" Magnaflow 12279 muffler then finished the exhaust off with an aluminized Dynomax 45683 3" tailpipe on my 1992 F350 4x4 w/5.8L engine.

All the pieces except the tailpipe are stainless steel. I used the Dynomax tailpipe because it already had hangers welded to it. A slight tweak on one, fit like it was designed for it! I also used some slick Dynomax 33272 band clamps to connect everything.

The y-pipe is pricey, but it is a very nice piece. The truck is quiet with a nice low rumble when you punch it. 2 years later, still sounds and looks good.

Bankrupter 06-20-2011 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by RustyGreen (Post 10482630)
lol, :) yeah, I just ran into 10 characters trying to post something else hahaha, didnt think to just type "10 characters lol !

;) I didnt even type it just a quick copy / paste lol

Originally Posted by rla2005 (Post 10483360)
I have a Bassani 58150B2 Stainless y-pipe, 3" Magnaflow 59929 spun series converter, 3" Magnaflow 12279 muffler then finished the exhaust off with an aluminized Dynomax 45683 3" tailpipe on my 1992 F350 4x4 w/5.8L engine.

All the pieces except the tailpipe are stainless steel. I used the Dynomax tailpipe because it already had hangers welded to it. A slight tweak on one, fit like it was designed for it! I also used some slick Dynomax 33272 band clamps to connect everything.

The y-pipe is pricey, but it is a very nice piece. The truck is quiet with a nice low rumble when you punch it. 2 years later, still sounds and looks good.

Google here I come. Y pipe is first on my grab list. Spent half the day looking for a good Aftermarket Y to no avail... Should have just took a nap and checked my thread! Thanks for the post.

-=Takes a deep breath and prepares to duck=-
- Anyone try the summit shorty header?