Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/)
-   -   torque converter has no drain plug?? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1074399-torque-converter-has-no-drain-plug.html)

boots6868 06-12-2011 12:31 AM

torque converter has no drain plug??

Hi all.. I had myself all psyched up for this weekend to change my transmission fluids on my 93 f350 e4od and was suprised to find that the torque converter was nicely painted red and had no drain plug... hmm
now i just got this truck about a month ago and was just prepping for my first big trip with the fifth wheel in july.
just wondering if someone might have changed the torque converter.
I guess i will just have to be happy with the pan drop and screen change for now. it has 190k on it and tranny feels good but sometimes it kinda hangs on in 3rd till i lift on the throttle.
any insight would be appreciated.

Lazy K 06-12-2011 03:35 AM

Changing ATF Fluid in a E4OD and 4R100 transmission .: Articles Have a read here.

FORDF250HDXLT 06-12-2011 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by boots6868 (Post 10449797)
it has 190k on it and tranny feels good but sometimes it kinda hangs on in 3rd till i lift on the throttle.
any insight would be appreciated.

your TPS (FIPL) sounds like it may be out a bit/dirty connection.

IDIDieselJohn 06-12-2011 12:49 PM

Heres how I do it.

Drop the pan, change filter etc.

Reinstall pan, fill back up to capacity.

Start 'er up and let 'er run for a couple minutes. Shift through all the gears a couple times.

Now get a 5 gallon bucket and a piece of rubber hose.

Disconnect the trans feed line from the radiator (or aux cooler) and shove on the rubber line on that and aim the rubber line in the bucket. Tape the line to the lip of the bucket so it doesn't come out while it's flushing.

(to find the feed line, disconnect both lines to the radiator and start the engine for a second, witch ever line squirts out fluid is your feed line.)

Give a couple shots of compressed air through the radiator (or aux. cooler) to send all the old fluid and crap out of that and back to the transmission.

Put a good funnel on the transmission dipstick tube.

Now prepare at least 10 *OPEN* quarts of ATF ready, at easy hand reach.

Fire the engine up, and start pouring the ATF down the dipstick tube, and don't stop! As much fluid will be coming out as you are putting in.

When the fluid coming out and dumping into the bucket looks as nice and clean as the fluid you are dumping in, stop the engine.

Reconnect the feed line to the radiator (or aux. cooler). Make sure BOTH lines are well connected.

Start up engine and check level. Add as needed. Make sure level is correct.

Go for a good drive, when you get back, check level again and your done!

Simple as that! I do it every single year on my motorhome.

It's a good idea to be 2 people doing this, one sitting in the drivers seat of the vehicle waiting for commands by the person doing the work outside, just incase something happens that you need to turn off the engine quickly. You don't want your transmission to run dry.

boots6868 06-12-2011 09:57 PM

thanks guys for the ideas! Im gonna give the 5 gallon bucket way a try. so your saying you can keep up with the fluid transfer rate? i still have 10 qt on hand now. does anyone have any suggestion as to mercon vs mercon v fluid. any better or any worse?
i did use dextronIII/mercon and my shifting points have improved already just with the pan drop.

IDIDieselJohn 06-12-2011 10:03 PM

Be warned though, it doesn't always go in at the same rate as it comes out.

I've had that happen to me this year on my camper, I just did it few weeks ago. Went in slowly, so I said, well, I'll overfill it by a couple quarts, and play the start stop game.

A couple quarts over filled, start it, let it drain in the bucket (while pouring some in, even tho it was going in slowly) and let it drain in the bucket untill I saw about 3-4 quarts in the bucket. Stop engine, fill tranny back up. Do it again, but shortly after it started coming out nice clean clear red. So stoped it. Topped it up, went for a drive, got back home, checked it again. It's still abit over, but I'll leave it as I still have my tranny cooler to install anyways.

Should of done a video of how I do this, I'm sure it be real helpful! Next time I do it, I'll film it. I may have to do it before winter on the F150.

PLC7.3 06-13-2011 06:24 AM

With 190K and a new torque convertor most likely the oil was recently replaced. If it looks clean when you replace the filter I would say just refill to the correct level.

Ensure you get the right trans oil filter.......yours is probably 2wd, there is a different (longer) length pickup tube on the 4wd filter (deeper pan).

The guys do a significant number of trans repairs/exchanges at the shop and the fluid color and condition is the real indicator of the trans condition. You will/may find some fileings on the pan magnet just clean them off...... that is normal.

boots6868 06-13-2011 03:25 PM

when i changed the fluid it was reddish brown, did not smell burnt or anything. there was some metalic goop all on the magnet which i wiped off with a rag. I do notice since the pan drop the tranny shifts much smoother you almost cant feel the gear changes.

FORDF250HDXLT 06-13-2011 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by boots6868 (Post 10455005)
when i changed the fluid it was reddish brown, did not smell burnt or anything. there was some metalic goop all on the magnet which i wiped off with a rag. I do notice since the pan drop the tranny shifts much smoother you almost cant feel the gear changes.

remember changing the trans fluid is just as important as changing the oil in the engine.
the trans fluid should be changed when its still nice and red every 30k miles on the outside.sooner depending on use.
a little fresh oil once in a while,is cheaper than a rebuilt/replaced trans.:-X22