Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   EcoBoost (all engine sizes) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum262/)
-   -   My Ecoboost Observations (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1074026-my-ecoboost-observations.html)

sewhalen35 06-10-2011 01:27 PM

My Ecoboost Observations

As you can tell from my posting statistics, I don't do a lot of posting, but enjoy the information that is shared on this forum. This forum and the Ecoboost forum helped me decide which engine to finally go with. I decided to post this thread here in hopes that it gives all current and future F150 owners information they can use.

Having said that, I took delivery of my 2011 FX2 Crew Cab Ecoboost F150 back in May. It has the 5.5 ft box, 3.55 limited slip rear end, and the FX2 luxury package. This is my first F150. My previous truck was a F250 with the 6.0L diesel. So I can't really compare it to previous F150's. My truck currently has 1600 miles on it and run regular unleaded. Don't know how much that affects the mpg number below.

Engine - the Ecoboost motor rocks!:-jammin It's extremely smooth, quiet, and will put you in the back seat when you get on the throttle. I can feel a little turbo lag at times, but that may be because I drove a diesel for 8 years and can identify the lag when I feel it.

MPG - the question I see the most about this motor and the one item I was curious on. Let me set the scene. I live in Houston, so there's definitely traffic involved. I drive about 50% freeway and 50% city streets going to and from work. My weekend driving is about the same mix. The lie-o-meter on the truck keeps saying the mid 17's for mpg and usually displays a good gallon less than what I've actually run out (based on fill ups, i.e. truck will show 21 gallons used and the pump will cut off at 22). Hand calculating the mileage gives me around 16.5 mpg each time. Not bad considering the weight of a truck and the type of driving I do.

My only stretch of "highway" driving was about 45 miles late one night on the freeway. I filled up right before I got on, reset the trip meter, and ran between 60 and 70 mph the whole time. The trip meter displayed 21.7 mpg as I was getting off the freeway. My guess is I was getting closer to 21 mpg. I have yet to go on a trip out of town, so I don't have the info to pass on.

For comparison sake, my F250 diesel was getting 16/20 mpg, so any fuel savings for me is strictly the difference in diesel and gas.

The fit and finish of the interior is really nice. My previous F250 was a Lariat and this new FX2 is way better. I also enjoy the options available with Sync, although it doesn't always pick up my cell phone.:-huh

I have yet to tow with this truck. I hook up to a 20 ft ski boat that weighs 5000lbs with trailer every now and then. Should be no issue since I'm rated at 9800lbs and the motor has plenty of torgue.

Anyways, I'll stop rambling and will be glad to answer any questions anyone may have. May be out of pocket here and there, but will answer anything ASAP. My way of giving back to the site that helped me out a lot in the past.

Overall, I really like the truck and am enjoying it for what it is, a truck. That's the main reason we buy them. If you want high fuel mileage, get a 4 banger car. I will post pictures as soon as I figure out how to do so.

powerstroke72 06-11-2011 11:20 PM

Thanks for sharing your review and observations.:-X22 Sounds like you've got a nice truck and it appears to have been an easy transition from the diesel.