Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   96 ford f150 wont start! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1073044-96-ford-f150-wont-start.html)

tawneekay 06-06-2011 10:01 PM

96 ford f150 wont start!

Hi everyone! I need to make a 12 hour trip this weekend and everyone is stumped about my truck! It is a 96 ford f150, 5.0 V8. It was dying at stop signs, but driving fine otherwise, and sometimes I had to pump the gas pedal to get it started. My dad took it to work with him and the mechanic at the university put the diagnostic machine on it and it pulled that it needed a purge control valve (im pretty sure thats what it was called). He cleared the code but about 20 miles later it came back on, but was driving fine. My dad washed it and washed the engine with a hose (i dont know why!) and 3 days later it wouldnt start. Took it to the dealership and they got it to start, and replaced the purge control valve. I picked it up and it started fine and drove around town fine, I drove it home and a few minutes later my dad tried to start it to drive it into the garage, and it took 3 tries to start. I drove it later and it started fine for me each time. Had my uncle come over and it started fine for him, drove around and the check engine light came back on and still pulled the same code for purge control. He tried to start it again and it would not start. He tried multiple times to start it. He unhooked the mass air flow and temp sensor and it started right up. Plugged them back in, and it still started. We dont know if this is because he unhooked them, or because the engine had time to cool off. I'm sorry for the huge explanation, but I was trying to be as detailed as possible! Oh and the dealerwship mechanic I cannot trust at all, they say they pulled 6 codes, a total of 1900 dollars (on a truck that blue books for 2400!) and to change the spark plugs and wires, they wanted 800 dollars!!!!

Edgethis 06-06-2011 10:10 PM

Unhook the battery for a bit, then hook it all back up and see how that works. Should erase those codes and give the engine a chance to "reboot" and see what is currently wrong.

Hows the fuel pressure? Have you replaced the fuel filter lately. Does it idle in Park/Neutral? I'd think not the way you describe.

lablue96 06-06-2011 10:27 PM

you mentioned they pulled six codes, just curious, are you still getting six codes or just the purge valve one, what are the other codes. sometimes it might be just one thing that will throw off two or more things

tawneekay 06-06-2011 10:28 PM

I have already unhooked the battery for about an hour and reconnected it, before I took it to the dealership. It still wouldn't start for me, just whine and whine. Now when I start it it doesn't just whine, you can hear the engine try to start, but it won't. Before there was no engine noise at all, just the whining, but I think that's because my dad got the engine all wet. Yes, my dad just replaced the fuel filter, the fuel pressure is fine I think because it drives fine? It just won't start now after its been driven and its still hot. I haven't tried to idle it in neutral, but when it does start, it idles in park, it might be idling a little high but I might be imagining it by trying to listen for something.

Edgethis 06-06-2011 10:32 PM

What do you mean "whine"? So when its hot, it'll crank but wont start?

tawneekay 06-06-2011 10:35 PM

When my uncle came over with his code reader he still only got the purge code. The dealership said: RPM code, lean code, purge code, trans fluid sensor code, oxygen sensor, pcv, stator, spark plugs/wires, decarb.

tawneekay 06-06-2011 10:36 PM

yes, when it is hot it will crank and whine. The first time it ONLY whined, no engine noise, all the other times, it whined, and the engine made noise like it was going to start, but only for a few seconds. (I'm really sorry I don't know all the right words to describe these things... if you can't tell, I'm a girl! Lol!)

Edgethis 06-06-2011 10:41 PM

Well I was gonna say maybe the ECU got fried into limp mode or something, but it usually causes the truck to run rich, not lean.

The O2 sensor, the RPM (idle control valve), and running lean codes could all cause it to stall out or run bad all by themselves, let alone all together.

when you say "whine" could it be a hissing, like a vacuum leak? If so, get a can of carb/TB spray and spray it around under the hood while idling/running to see where you get a reaction. then check that area and you should find a vacuum leak.

tawneekay 06-06-2011 10:58 PM

by "whine" i mean the starter noise, like before the "vroom". I'm pretty sure the o2 sensor is okay, I think the guy at my dads work checked that.

tawneekay 06-07-2011 09:43 AM

I've been searching alot online, could it be a pip sensor or tfi module?

subford 06-07-2011 10:03 AM

The TFI (ICM) Black module very seldom goes bad.
Could be the PIP sensor (RPM code) though.
When you get that many different codes it turns out most of the time to be the PCM computer itself is bad.

cozzb 06-07-2011 10:04 AM

Usually when you see alot of codes that are not related and you didn't cause them by unplugging sensors etc it can be the ECM.

The best way to figure it out is some basics..Check all grounds for being loose. Battery, ecm.. when it wont start do you have spark? Is your distributor now dry? It could be an intermittant problem with the module (sometimes mounted on distributor or driverside fenderwell.

Check for spark - put a spare spark plug in a wire and check for spark at no start situation. If you have spark then move on.

Attach a fuel pressure gauge and wait for it to not start and look at pressure. If you have no pressure or below spec. it could be your issue. you could also try a squirt of carb cleaner but suspect its not fuel as you said once it runs it has decent power correct?

Check your collision switch. Usually on center hump at base of dash. If the switch is going it can cut power to the fuel pump and you wont start it..

Try some of that first..

tawneekay 06-07-2011 10:26 AM

It has spark, and it is getting fuel, my uncle did something that he checked while I turned the key and fuel squirted out. The distributor is now dry, and it only wont start when it is hot from being driven. I think they pulled all those codes initially while they were trying to start it at the dealership, and cranking the key/pumping gas, so it threw a bunch of codes all at once. I wasn't there, though, so I don't know if thats how it went.

cozzb 06-07-2011 10:34 AM

Hot start makes me think something is a foul with the pickup or module. The pickup is magnetic and if it had a crack it could spread enough but I would think if that were the case it would stall hot too.

Have you tried unplugging the mass air again? If you unplug it and it immediatly starts it may be related but if it takes several tries it might just be coincidence.

tawneekay 06-08-2011 05:22 PM

We tried again and it wouldnt start, unplugged mass air flow and the other part and it started and idled for 5 seconds, then died, and wont start at all now, just sputters. This is the other part we unplugged, anyone know what it is? its on the drivers side near the mass air flow. http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c5...3/9aca370a.jpg