Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Alternator Voltage low (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1072344-alternator-voltage-low.html)

miggun 06-04-2011 04:38 AM

Alternator Voltage low

Hello,
there is a little problem with my 6.0l Powerstroke Alternator.
I'd an Edge Programmer which shows me the Battery Voltage.
Early in the morning, when the temperature outside is below 22°C ( 70°F) The Alternator produce 13,8-14V (Battery Voltage)
If tempreture is above 70°F I only have 13,4-13,6V in the Display. I have a Relais that switch, when the engine is running (13,7V). this relais does not switch.
I need this relais to run the refrigerator of my truck camper and some other parts.

What's the Problem? Could it be, that the Alternator is bad?
Which is a good Alternator?
I have a single system with camper package 110A.

Sorry for my very bad english! I'm from Germany and don't use it so often.

Nice Work Truck 06-04-2011 05:03 AM

Your voltage is a little low but not to bad.
If you are running a lot of stuff like a refrigerator off it I would upgrade to a high output unit.
I have a 200amp HD unit and it runs great.
You will also need to upgrade the wire going for the alternator to the batteries, and to wire going to the drivers side battery.
Here is a like to the one I got over a year ago.
1999- Ford 7.3L, 6.0L, 6.4L, 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel Heavy Duty 6G Series 200 Amp Alternator Upgrade

This is also some good reading about it.
Need a high amp alternator vender - TheDieselGarage.com

miggun 06-04-2011 05:16 AM

Thank you very much!
Wich voltage do you have at the battery?
Do you have only the alternator or the Quicktifier too?
Do you think the OEM Alternator is to weak?

I only know, that I need a voltage above 13,8V because a battery can not full charged with a voltage below 13,8v.
Your alternator seems to be the right choice for me.
I hope they will ship to germany!

Nice Work Truck 06-04-2011 05:26 AM

My voltage runs about 14-14.6 all the time.
No I did not get the quicktifier, I did not need it.
Yes my old one was week and not able to keep up with my lights and stereo stuff.
I have also heard very good things about DC Power units.
https://www.dcpowerinc.com/vaf/produ...93&engine=1029

miggun 06-04-2011 05:44 AM

Hey, dcpowerinc ships to germany! :)
O.K. 135$ shipping cost, but if the 185A alternator works, it was a good investment! :)

bismic 06-04-2011 05:45 AM

IMO the DC Power alternators are the way to go!

miggun 06-04-2011 06:10 AM

Hey, thank you Mark! :)
It's good to hear a second opinion!
So I will order the new Alternator after my holidays in the Czech Republic,
I think USPS need 2-3 weeks until the part is in Germany!
Is the 185A unit big enough for me?
My truck is stock, I only have the truck camper with fridge and a Viair compressor, but the compressor doesn't run often!

bismic 06-04-2011 06:19 AM

The stock alternator is 130A I believe. It is marginally sized for a stock truck in my opinion. Check the amp draw on your accessories and see what amperage out put you need for all of it. Probably the real question is "Are you wanting to power those accessories while idling?".

I am installing a power inverter and wanted some high amp output at the high-idle RPM's. If that is a consideration for you, you might want to call DCPower and talk to them about it. I talked to Robbie and he was very helpful.

Just as an FYI - The stock Alternator pulley is 2.73 inches. The DC Power 190A OEM replacement alternator pulley is 2.44 inches.

bismic 06-04-2011 06:21 AM

How has your truck been running miggun? It has been awhile since you last posted. I remember your issues w/ parts delivery!

miggun 06-04-2011 06:31 AM

There is a new Link in my signature!
There are some pictures from my truck.
Sorry, that I doesn't post so much here. But it's very difficult for me with the language.
I'd bought the new Injector's, but I'm not brave enough to change it, because I'm not sure, that I had all parts and tools I need. But I think, I had to start mext time.
The truck runs great if the engine ist warmed up, but with cold engine it's terrible! :-down

bismic 06-04-2011 06:50 AM

The rough running when cold could be your FICM also. Have you checked the FICM voltages (especially if you are somewhat concerned over alternator voltages)?

Lots of help here when you decide to do the injectors.

I tried the link in your sig, but it requires me to join the forum to view the posts (thank goodness for Google translator).

Oh, btw - if you do decide to go 200A or higher on the alternator, you probably need to be upgrading some wires.

miggun 06-04-2011 07:20 AM

Ohh, sorry! I didn't know, that you must signed in, to look the pictures!

Had you seen the pictures?
I don't want new wires, that's the main reason, I decide for the small alternator from dc power!

When I look at the passenger side of my engine, I only see, that there is not much space to work and the valve covers are mounted with seal glue!
If I destroy something, I had to wait 2 weeks for the spare parts! :-roll

dchamberlain 06-04-2011 09:03 AM

The stock alternator is 110 amps. I don't think it would hurt to upgrade to a higher output alternator if you have a lot of electrical accessories, but I think you should know that the Ford spec for alternator output is 13-15 volts. So I don't think you have a problem with 13.4.

I've seen mine as low as 13.2 once the battery is fully charged. Usually with mine, it runs about 14 to 14.2 until the batteries recover from starting, then it drops to around 13.2 to 13.5.

bismic 06-04-2011 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by dchamberlain (Post 10421090)
The stock alternator is 110 amps.

Are you sure David? Maybe model year dependent?

Pretty sure my stock alternator was 130A.

dchamberlain 06-04-2011 09:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I THOUGHT so. I was sure I remember reading it was 110 amps. It must be model year specific. This is what my 2004 service manual says, however.