Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Ford Extended vs. Geico (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1071893-ford-extended-vs-geico.html)

2horses 06-02-2011 12:25 PM

Ford Extended vs. Geico

Does any one have any experience with Geico's Mechanical Breakdown policy? I just got the insurance renewal for my new truck, and it's included on there for a mere $70 bi-annually - but it does have a $250 deductible. I called and spoke to a customer service rep about the coverage, it's essentially bumper to bumper for 100,000 miles, no year limit, everything OEM is covered as long as it doesn't fall under the exclusion list. From the website: "Exclusions to this policy include regular maintenance services such as tune-ups, suspension alignment, wheel balancing, filters, lubrication, coolant and fluids, spark plugs, brake pads and linings, brake shoes, and tires. Also, breakdown repairs made necessary by intentional damage, corrosion, misuse, or improper maintenance are not covered." Plus they pay for a rental car while your truck is in the shop.

I asked specifically about the NAV system and any computer components - yep, covered. I asked about do it yourself oil changes, etc. - she said as long as you keep a record of what you do (dates, mileage, etc.) that's all the documentation they require for "proper maintenance." You can use the repair shop of your choice as well. So anyone see anything wrong with this as opposed to what Ford offers? Anyone ever used their coverage? It's waaay cheaper and offers more coverage mileage-wise, and I just don't see any holes in it anywhere. Thoughts?

Biggziff 06-02-2011 12:35 PM

I'm going to sign up before I get to 15,000 miles or 18 months of ownership (I believe that was the limit). It's a great plan that is re-insured by one of the biggest companies out there. Unbeatable, IMO.

2horses 06-02-2011 12:37 PM

So that's a thumbs up for Geico?

ETA - I have zero complaints about how they handled my theft claim, very pleased with them so far!

ketchup 06-02-2011 04:15 PM

Geico

No experience on maintenance addition from Geico, but I will tell ya, if they would stop about half of their ads, they could save all 50% at least

4mil 06-02-2011 11:13 PM

My f250 had a 7 year limit, but I definitely got my money's worth when they rebuilt the front end seals etc. For the four wheel drive. Definitely a thumbs up from my vote

ford390gashog 06-03-2011 04:31 AM

I had it and got rid of it, I did not know the price goes up a lot at the 3 year mark and again at the 5 year mark. Did the quick math and in total would have cost me about 3100.00 to keep it full term. So I canceled the coverage and got an ESP with a 50.00 deductible for 1150.00 and lost 500.00 to the Geico plan after paying on it for 2.5 years.

senix 06-03-2011 05:03 AM

I have it. To me it is well worth having the bumper to bumper as the ford warranty's run out. I have done a glass claim on them, that was all.

Second truck I have had it on.

I also view it as a second policy if ford does not want to cover something...consider water in the fuel system, trashing everything. You know Ford is not going to cover that. Maybe you can get the station you filled up at to cover it but most likely it will be your insurance company.

2horses 06-03-2011 10:06 AM

Well, I called and checked with the dealership, and I don't think it's going to be all that easy to get my money back on the Ford warranty. Since it's only good for additional 3 years/32,000 miles, I may just keep both. Is there such as thing as too much coverage?

Biggziff 06-03-2011 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by ford390gashog (Post 10417249)
I had it and got rid of it, I did not know the price goes up a lot at the 3 year mark and again at the 5 year mark. Did the quick math and in total would have cost me about 3100.00 to keep it full term. So I canceled the coverage and got an ESP with a 50.00 deductible for 1150.00 and lost 500.00 to the Geico plan after paying on it for 2.5 years.

Huh...they told me it was a fixed, bi-annual charge.

LI Happy Camper 06-03-2011 11:34 AM

I have the Geico extended warranty. I had the same on my 2005 Ford F-350 6.0 that went through 2 EGR's, turbo, hydroboost and tow command system. Each time only cost me $250 deductable. My fee has never change since having it since 2004. $7 a month extra on my insurance plan. The first couple of years you are just paying the extra money for no reason because of the Ford warranty, but once that runs out at 36,000 miles / 3 years Geico kicks in and is great to know you have it. BIG thumbs up for the Geico plan!!!!!

RPARKER559 07-01-2011 12:36 PM

I just talked to them about it and it is 72.20 for 6 months, she did say it would go up in the 4th year but did not or would not tell me how much.