Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum40/)
-   -   Power Steering Box/Repair or Replace (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1071018-power-steering-box-repair-or-replace.html)

daveengelson 05-30-2011 11:14 AM

Power Steering Box/Repair or Replace

I thought I would check to see if any members have rebuilt the 73-76 power steering box; if so, does it require special tools and is it involved. Just rebuilt the steering column when I noticed the minor leak in the power steering box is getting worse. Kinda between rock and hard place, need the truck and faced with the dilemma whether to bite the bullet and pay for a replacement, figure the removal and installation should only take a few hours; or attempt to rebuild where the time it would take to get the truck on the road is unknown. I checked the online inventory with the local 'Pic n Pulls' and they don't have any 70's Ford pickups on the lot at this time. Anyhow, suggestions, input appreciated! http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...os/hmmm1-1.gif

jowilker 05-30-2011 04:04 PM

Upper end is a little more tricky, but if it's the lower end, just put a seal kit in it.

It does take some big wrenches and a fork to get the pittman arm off, but not too big of a job.

John :-X06

rustywheel68 05-30-2011 04:41 PM

i think you'll need a pair of snap-ring pliers. i rebuilt one several times...never could get it to stop leaking. ended up using it as a core for a rebuilt unit.

daveengelson 05-30-2011 04:51 PM

John, thank you for the info, affraid if I were to open it up may find 1 of the components projecting to neighbors house. Appears majority of the fluid is coming from the bottom end, hopefully able to tell more once it's pulled. I do have a front end kit so removing the pitman arm should not be a problem. Went to Napa online inventory and they have a bottom seal kit that runs around $20, looks like it only consist of 3 components so I should be able to do that much. I will not be attempting the full rebuild kit, too many parts to the kit to keep track of. Again thank you!!. http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...tos/smoke1.gif

daveengelson 05-30-2011 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by rustywheel68 (Post 10403633)
i think you'll need a pair of snap-ring pliers. i rebuilt one several times...never could get it to stop leaking. ended up using it as a core for a rebuilt unit.

Figure once the box is removed I'll have better sense of what needs to be done, if there's any question whether the kit will solve the problem I agree, the darn box is expensive enough as it is don't need to kick in an additional $20 bucks. Thanks for input!!.

jowilker 05-31-2011 06:26 AM

Dave it's been a while, seems there is a double seal down there, and maybe 3 pieces total to replace. Once you get in it you have past the big hurtles.

guluk

NumberDummy 05-31-2011 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by daveengelson (Post 10403666)
Appears majority of the fluid is coming from the bottom end.

:-missingt Uh huh, and within a year or so, the puppy will be leaking from the same location again, you wanna know why?

All the Ford integral P/S gearboxes have a built in flaw, no bearings on the sector shaft. It doesn't take too long for the seal to become oblong, the housing takes a beating too.

Since there are no internal parts for the 1960/70's gearboxes available any longer except for what makes up the two seals kits (input & sector shafts), the so-called autoparts store rebuilt gearboxes are really re-sealed gearboxes.

redheadsteeringgears.com (located in Seattle) takes the housing, machines it, installs the needle bearings that Ford left out...on purpose, so they could sell a gazillion seal kits.

D7AZ-3E501-B (replaced D3AZ-3E501-A & C5AZ-3C538-A) .. Sector Shaft Seal Kit / Available from Ford.

MSRP: $24.18 // FTE sponsor PARTSGUYED.COM price: $17.41.
-------------------------------------------------------------
F3AZ-3E502-A (replaced D7AZ-3E502-A, D3AZ-3E502-A & C5AZ-3C538-A) .. Input Shaft Seal Kit / Available from Ford.

MSRP: $24.02 // PARTSGUYED.COM price: $17.29.

Applications: ALL 1965/2002 Passenger Car/Truck/Bronco/Econoline and et cetera Ford Integral P/S Gearboxes.

daveengelson 05-31-2011 10:33 AM

Bill, thanks for the resource, I am kinda slow, if understand correctly the kits mentioned are pretty much a temporary fix, perhaps 2-3 yrs.; further, majority of the reman's use the same/simular kits and I can expect the same results. Checked w/ local Napa auto and then called 'redheadsteering', for approx. $50, plus s/h more, they have a replacement, and likely a better quality rebuilt gear box.

OldHarley 05-31-2011 12:19 PM

I would think that $50. additional would be a absolutely great deal.

If, I were going to buy a new box, and planned to keep the truck for any length of time, I would spend the extra dough!

Problem always is, that the cost of a $500. gearbox gets compared to the cost of the much-needed upholstery, paint or bodywork, or a super-duper transmission and folks would rather spend the $500. on one of the above and $20. on a seal kit.

jowilker 05-31-2011 02:26 PM

I must have gotten a bad seal kit, because mine has holding the oil for 10-12 years now. dadnabit }>

daveengelson 05-31-2011 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by OldHarley (Post 10406490)
I would think that $50. additional would be a absolutely great deal.

If, I were going to buy a new box, and planned to keep the truck for any length of time, I would spend the extra dough!

Problem always is, that the cost of a $500. gearbox gets compared to the cost of the much-needed upholstery, paint or bodywork, or a super-duper transmission and folks would rather spend the $500. on one of the above and $20. on a seal kit.

Agree, but I failed to estimate cost of shipping, follow up telephone call and got a quote of $80 both ways. Been doing some 'cyber shopping' and came across company that offers lifetime guarantee, only problem is they don't provide a contact telephone # or address, I did email them. Now faced w/ dilemma, an additional $130 may be the deciding factor. Guess another option is to check local 'pic n pulls' for next few days until a truck surfaces then run down and see if it has the correct power steering box; they charge $50, plus a return charge; bout 100 mi's round trip, at $4.50/gal a couple unsuccessful trips then the cost for the shipping may be worth it. Then again, for the #20-30$ for the bottom end kit perhaps like John may get luck and get few yrs. O'well, gives me something to ponder!

OldHarley 05-31-2011 03:39 PM

Hmmm..No address or telephone number, but a lifetime guarantee...

Come to think of it, dave, I gotta guy, ...a Nigerian businessman, as I recall, ...he has 50 million in gold, but can't get it out of his country. If you want the details, I can send 'em to you!! :D

daveengelson 05-31-2011 04:56 PM

Greg, I get the same emails unfortunately hav't had the time to send him any money.

Surprisingly REMsteering returned my email and noted the info is on their webpage; although I did find the tele# I still can't find the address on their webpage, nor did they include it in their email. What's more interesting, I called and was informed they are located in the Palm Springs areak, yep here in the great state (?) of Ca., but still did not give me an address. Sounds like 'here today and gone tomorrow, anyhow, still pondering.

NumberDummy 06-01-2011 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by jowilker (Post 10406892)
I must have gotten a bad seal kit, because mine has holding the oil for 10-12 years now. dadnabit.

:-X15 (sigh) All I can say is...you've lucked out. Integral P/S was introduced in 1965 Galaxie/LTD.

Thru 1972, the only seal kit was a master, then Ford replaced it with individual input/sector seal kits.

I prolly passed out 10,000 of these puppies in 35 years, you wanna know why?

Because without sector shaft bearings, the sector shaft seal only lasts sooo long, then the little darlin' starts leaking again.

If the boxes didn't have this built in flaw, why are there companies machining the cases to install the bearings?

Because...unlike you, 10's of 1000's of peeps haven't been as fortunate.

daveengelson 06-04-2011 05:51 PM

Pulled the p/S box and appeared fluid had been leaking from every oriice for quite some time. Purchased a Napa auto reman w/ lifetime warrantee, surpised to find price varied between various Napa stores. Anyhow, just returned from test run and wow, truck has never steered w/ this much ease since installing the donor box. Thanks for the input.