Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   "CLEANING EXHAUST FILTER" NOW STAYING ON (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1070192-cleaning-exhaust-filter-now-staying-on.html)

StanleyZ 05-26-2011 08:56 PM

"CLEANING EXHAUST FILTER" NOW STAYING ON

Well guys, I continue to e suprised by this truck. I have no idea why, or what it might mean if anything but in the middle of a run from Memphis to Bella Vista Arkansas my "cleaning" message started staying on for the duration of the cleaning cycle. I've now come full circle. Am I the only one who thinks this strange? I also seem to be cleaning more often, around 110 miles towing. I wonder if either or both might be related to the latest flash which I had done just a few hundred miles ago.?

Super08 05-26-2011 09:00 PM

Mine averages around 125 towing and around 250 MT. It did better when it was new when I got better than 300 empty and 150 to 175 towing. BTW I pull a 12k fifth wheel.

caprang 05-26-2011 09:26 PM

That seems really weird that the message display would change. Mine is supposed to be done tomorrow so if I have something worthwhile to report in the next few days you will hear from me. :)

Super08 05-26-2011 09:28 PM

MIne is in being done right now as well. It is in a shop 300 miles away (long story). I will see how it does when I pick it up.

senix 05-27-2011 06:58 AM

Interesting...you know there is an update to this 11b23 flash out there as well.

I have not done any of it yet.

StanleyZ 05-27-2011 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by senix (Post 10392072)
Interesting...you know there is an update to this 11b23 flash out there as well.

Has anyone verified that there is an update to the update? Last I read it was coming out but I haven't read where anyone had gotten it. Anyway, the change just sort of happened. It was normal (brief message) then it wasn't. I had probably 400 or so miles after the 11b23 flash when it reverted to what it was doing prior to November 09. So, go figure.

galaxie641 05-27-2011 08:50 AM

Mine has stayed on twice since the update, I believe it happens after the truck has several failed attempts at a complete regen. As for the mileage mine has always been around 120 miles.

Super08 05-27-2011 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by senix (Post 10392072)

Yup there is. I guess the folks that got flashed between Feb. and last week or something will need it. The first update can cause an overboost and throw a code when towing heavy. There is another thread on it now.

sdetweil 05-27-2011 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by StanleyZ (Post 10392406)
Has anyone verified that there is an update to the update? Last I read it was coming out but I haven't read where anyone had gotten it. Anyway, the change just sort of happened. It was normal (brief message) then it wasn't. I had probably 400 or so miles after the 11b23 flash when it reverted to what it was doing prior to November 09. So, go figure.

see https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...24-2011-a.html

sam

Hopper2 05-27-2011 12:00 PM

Mine went into regen mode this morning on my way to the dealer to get the reflash. I was in a construction zone in stop and go traffic and sure enough it wants to regen so I manually shut it off by shifting it into park or neutral till I could get out on the freeway. After 3 times disengaging it the Drive to clean exhaust filter message came on for approximately 15 min. and went off then the cleaning exhaust message came on and stayed on till the regen was complete.I have not noticed the cleaning exhaust message staying on up till today. I get to the dealer and talked to the service writer if he had heard anything about the new update on the 11B23 flash he said no so they did the flash on my 2010 today my mileage for city driving has jumped up to 14.3mpg hand calculated compared to 12.5 back 2 mos. ago I do'nt know if it is because we are now in summer blend fuel. I sure hope this flash will not mess up my improved fuel mileage. I am taking a short trip from northern Il. to Omaha Ne. this weekend will see what this reflash will do.

parkland 05-27-2011 12:44 PM

I just got re-flashed,

The only difference I noticed was a different idle after driving..

Like when I let off the gas the 1st time, I thought there was an older cummins next to me. I don't know why, this was instantly after the flash. It runs smoother after a second or 2, but yeah, its definitely louder for a few seconds.

aquaman 05-27-2011 12:46 PM

I have about 2.5K on the original 11B23 flash as of today. Zero changes in mpgs or regen behaviour while we were still getting winter fuel... so as hopeful as I am, I doubt this new one will be any improvement in that regard. Summer fuel does seem to be helping these recent weeks though.

I still belch smoke while in regen just as badly as I did with my original stock flash. LOL

caprang 05-27-2011 08:54 PM

Just got the reflash as well. It says 11B23B 0.5 I am assuming the job pays 0.5 hours to the tech and the extra B at the end of the flash code means its the updated version. Maybe? I put 81 miles on it in the last 2 hours and dont feel anything different. I reset the LOM and it immediately read 36 mpgs. HA, thats a complete joke. By the time I parked the truck the LOM was down to 13mpg and I was driving mostly hwy. Sigh. They did a manual regen on the truck while it was there too so I havent driven enough miles to go through another one yet. I will post what the message does at that time.

galaxie641 05-27-2011 10:14 PM

Tell me a "manual regen" isn't them turning it on and letting the truck idle. Would make sense why my LOM reads around 3-4 every time I get the truck back from the dealer, also explains all the oil it makes.

parkland 05-28-2011 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by galaxie641 (Post 10394866)
Tell me a "manual regen" isn't them turning it on and letting the truck idle. Would make sense why my LOM reads around 3-4 every time I get the truck back from the dealer, also explains all the oil it makes.

OMG thats devastatingly scary :-arrgh

Ian123 05-28-2011 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by galaxie641 (Post 10394866)

The probably put it on high idle (1200 rpm)

03SD6L 05-28-2011 10:38 PM

Hi guys this is what i noticed with the latest flash. Today i got the message "drive to clean exhaust" so i took the truck on the highway then the "cleaning exhaust" came on and stayed on for the whole cleaning, when it finished the message saying the exhaust cleaning is finished came on. So maybe when it goes into a full regen now it stays on, had a lot of passive regen that the cleaning exhaust message came on for about 4-5 seconds and you don't see anything once it complete.

Super08 05-28-2011 10:54 PM

Since I got flashed last week mine no longer shows when it is in regen. I am so used to it I can tell. I am not sure if it is a sound I pick up on or what as I even notice in cruise when it kicks in. a quick glance down confirms it by the low boost pressure. A system check also confirms.

senix 05-29-2011 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by 03SD6L (Post 10397989)
Hi guys this is what i noticed with the latest flash. Today i got the message "drive to clean exhaust" so i took the truck on the highway then the "cleaning exhaust" came on and stayed on for the whole cleaning, when it finished the message saying the exhaust cleaning is finished came on. So maybe when it goes into a full regen now it stays on, had a lot of passive regen that the cleaning exhaust message came on for about 4-5 seconds and you don't see anything once it complete.

You were not passively regening. What happened is because the message normally just stays on a few seconds, there is no way to tell when finished unless you cycle thru the screens. So after so many of the regen imcompletes it gave you the "Drive to Clean" one.

This is the problem with the lastest flashes. It would be better to show the message all the time.

Super08 05-29-2011 08:26 AM

I think ford took the full time msg away to try and cut down on how often some people see their trucks regen. Maybe they can slip some through without people noticing and cut down on complaints.

StanleyZ 05-29-2011 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by senix (Post 10398635)
You were not passively regening. What happened is because the message normally just stays on a few seconds, there is no way to tell when finished unless you cycle thru the screens. So after so many of the regen imcompletes it gave you the "Drive to Clean" one.

This is the problem with the lastest flashes. It would be better to show the message all the time.

Sennix I hesitate to say this because you always seem to know what you are talking about but, my one and only "DRIVE TO CLEAN" came at the end of a two or so hour run on the interstate up the mountain into cheyenne WY. I never have been able to account for why it did that. On that same trip I had two "CLEANING" messages that stayed on, just like the two that caused me to start this post. All of these abberations happened while towing my heavy (17,000 +/-) trailer. but that may not mean anything as I seldom drive it when I'm not towing. I'm thinking there is some kind of small bug in my program. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense.

senix 05-29-2011 08:50 AM

Stanley, you maybe right on the bug in the programming. I would say that is more the case then now..wonder if they are using windows vista?

I just think in the post above it was probably more of because of incompletions.

parkland 05-29-2011 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by senix (Post 10398851)
wonder if they are using windows vista?

LOL
:-roll

Ian123 05-29-2011 02:45 PM

I have Vista and dont see why everyone hates it, although it comes out with updates almost as often as the re-flashes for the 6.4. Maybe there is a connection lol

03SD6L 05-29-2011 03:33 PM

i get the "cleaning filter" message about every 200-400 km, i take the truck on the highway and drive it until the message does not come up, this is going through the message screen hitting the set up button then reset and when the cleaning filter message is not shown any longer (about 20-30 km) the cycle is complete. You get the Drive to clean exhaust message any where between 2000-4000 km that is a full regen. That is what a Ford tech told me when i got the flash before the latest flash he alos printed out how that flash worked, i'll see if i can find it and post it. Now what is see happening with my first Drive to clean exhaust since the new flash is that it stays on for the entire cleaning and you get the message at the end that the filter is clean.

MexicanScaper987 05-29-2011 06:12 PM

Since my truck has been flashed, it seems to be cleaning itself more often as well. The message does not stay on during the duration though but I kinda wish it did. I always try to run the truck until its finished and it would sure make it easier to monitor.

kl817 05-31-2011 11:29 AM

No message when cleaning

Since the update it no longer says cleaning exhaust. There has always been a distinctive odor when it is cleaning. Now the only way I can tell that it is cleaning is by the odor. It never last long either. Is anyone else getting the odor, or do I have some kind of leak while it is cleaning?

Super08 05-31-2011 01:47 PM

I never smell anything unless I am outside right after stopping.

StanleyZ 05-31-2011 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by kl817 (Post 10406367)
Since the update it no longer says cleaning exhaust. There has always been a distinctive odor when it is cleaning. Now the only way I can tell that it is cleaning is by the odor. It never last long either. Is anyone else getting the odor, or do I have some kind of leak while it is cleaning?

If you watch for it I think you will find that the CLEANING EXHAUST FILTER message comes up on your message center for just a few seconds when the regen starts. It is easy to miss. Also, when you suspect you are in regen you can verify it by pushing the middle button on the message center and then the top button. The message center will go through the normal checks and at the end display the cleaning exhaust filter message. And, yes if you are smelling the exhaust in the cab either in regen or not there is something wrong. Based on comments on here I would say it will be difficult to get the dealer to fix it but there is something wrong.

aquaman 06-01-2011 01:31 AM

I think the algorithm that runs the regens is not just based off a simple pressure differential across the DPF. It likely takes in account how much air mass is supposedly moving though the engine as well.

I once made a run with the back loaded up the I-5 Grapevine with 25psi boost most of the way just to be welcomed with a regen right after I got over the top and shortly after I let off the throttle. Nice... instead of squirting in a little more fuel on the way up on a hot engine, it chose to do it on light throttle on the way downhill. Similar thing happened on another trip up I80 leaving Reno going toward Sacramento.

StanleyZ 06-01-2011 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by aquaman (Post 10409061)
I think the algorithm that runs the regens is not just based off a simple pressure differential across the DPF. It likely takes in account how much air mass is supposedly moving though the engine as well.

I once made a run with the back loaded up the I-5 Grapevine with 25psi boost most of the way just to be welcomed with a regen right after I got over the top and shortly after I let off the throttle. Nice... instead of squirting in a little more fuel on the way up on a hot engine, it chose to do it on light throttle on the way downhill. Similar thing happened on another trip up I80 leaving Reno going toward Sacramento.

That's happened to me also and it makes sense. If you think back to when we made soot before DPFs, it was on a hard wide open throttle run. That would put more soot in the DPF. So, while the wide open throttle is doing more in passive regens, it is also emitting more soot to filll the DPF. When we back off the throttle that reduces the level of passive regen so the computer calls for an active regen. Besides, at the rate this motor sucks down fuel the wide open throttle may not leave enough fuel capacity to fire on the exhaust stroke LOL.

bnmccoy 06-09-2011 06:05 PM

I got the updated flash, but prior to 5/18. Last Friday I had my first experience towing the RV; about 45 mile trip to RV dealer for Norcold recall. When I get on the Interstate I notice I have a continuous display of "Cleaning Exhaust Filter". It stays on for about 10 miles down I-35; I then exit and it was on another 4 miles; then it goes off. I double check manually and it is not in regen.

We went to a local lake for the weekend after the RV dealer finished. Sunday, on return trip, we had about 8-10 miles of hilly 45-50 mph two lane road; right as I am accelerating on the entrance ramp to I-40 it displays for about 5 seconds; "Cleaning Exhaust Filter". 5 minutes later the message comes back on continuously for about 20 minutes IIRC.

Never saw drive to clean. Prior to towing but since the flash; I have not seen "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" except when I checked manually.

Truck towed RV just fine. No codes, boost as high as 32 IIRC. I didn't really ever push it at full throttle though; maybe next time. 70 MPH on Interstate, could not tell any difference from prior to the flash; truck pulled like a champ.

Bob