Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   '05 F150 overdrive shifting problem (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1069768-05-f150-overdrive-shifting-problem.html)

drew_goeke 05-25-2011 07:00 AM

'05 F150 overdrive shifting problem

I recently had the transmission fluid in my 2005 F150 drained, flushed, and replaced by a local garage that has done great work in the past. Shortly after it was changed I noticed that between 45-55 mph if im cruising in overdrive (mostly in slow traffic) that the transmission will jerk the entire truck. If feels almost like I hit a pothole in the road.....but I know its the tranny jolting the entire truck. Furthermore, it only happens when overdrive is engadged and I press the gas just a little more, but not enough to make it down shift into 4th gear. I don't know if the tranny is trying to downshift and can't decided whether to or not, or if there is something internally wrong. Any information you can provide me with would be great.

At the moment this only happens when in overdrive. I fear that if I let this continue to happen I will lose OD completely or worse yet.....lose my entire transmission. What might this be due to?

cruzintld 05-25-2011 11:48 AM

Interested to hear what everyone has to say.

Recently purchased a 2004 and it is doing the same thing. Changed everything but the transmission fluid/filter. Rapidly approaching 100K and worried about what service may have been performed by previous owner.

May I ask what your decision to flush rather than to change the filter was?

drew_goeke 05-25-2011 03:37 PM

I just got off the phone with the garage. I explained my case to him and he said that it sounded like my truck was misfiring in one or two of the cylinders. He said that it can make the truck feel like the tranny is jerking it around when this happens. He then asked me if it only studdered when it was underload [up hill/when I push the accelorator a little bit when it is in overdrive]. I told him yes, and that is only when it does it.

My truck has 96K on it and the plugs have never been changed. It is about time, but i've always been scared to do so from hearing horror stories of dealerships running up $1000 bill because the triton engine tends to seize the plugs in the head. The mechanic sounded pretty confident that that's what my problem is.

Side note.....I didn't have the filter flushed. They replaced it. They just ran a dealer certified cleaner through the tranny to clean up any gunk.

cruzintld 05-26-2011 11:31 AM

Thanks for the input. Would there not be a check engine light come on with a misfire? I too have been a little leery of changing the plugs. My coils look brand new but that does not mean anything.

I was going to drop the pan and change the filter the other day. Then about 4 people said ohh no it will ruin the trans. Same things on here. About a 50/50 split between personnel service and shop work.

Wish you the best with your truck.

2004 xlt 5.4 05-26-2011 02:37 PM

Had my tranny done every 60,0000 km at dealer at 160,0000km it was done and new filter at 170,0000 tranny quit no forward gears when I pulled away from stop light.
Needed new one the splines on the shafts where worn off ?? not sure why said normal wear and tare 4 grant new one. So doing regular maintanance did not help me.

jasonmack77 11-19-2011 06:55 PM

Wanting to know what has happen?

I have a 2005 F150 with the same thing happen. When it is in O/D and going 40 to 50 mph the transmission shifts hard between gears. But when I take it out of O/D it stops. I am taking it into the garage after Thanksgiving and want to know what I am looking at for repair cost. Can you please update what has happen to your truck.

dunner1984 11-19-2011 10:33 PM

mine is doing the exact same thing. in overdrive around 1400 rpms it seems like the transmission is hesitating and around the same speeds as you were talking about. Did u get the problem figured out and what was the problem??

dunner1984 11-19-2011 10:35 PM

sorry that post was for drew.

scjeff05 12-18-2011 03:44 PM

I am interested as well to hear what anyone finds out. I have a 07 F150 exhibiting the same symptoms as described. A hard shift in and out of overdirve at around 40-50mph. Usually occurs when maintaining speed or light acceleration at at gradual climb. Sometimes it seems to shift hard in and out like it cant decide, sometimes just the hard downshift. I haven't noticed it under hard acceleration through those gears or at any other speed. Thanks

ttw 12-18-2011 06:08 PM

2 possible solutions/causes that i know of 1 is a misfire and no CEL will not always come on.. Other is torque converter... Mine shifted hard from OD to Drive and is currently getting a torque converter installed... but in my 02 screw had same problem as above and CEL never came on but ended up needing coil packs on 5 and a month later on 7 so i changed them all second time... Take it to a trusted shop and have scan your computer to see if it shows misfire... If there is a aamco near you they will usually have a free scan coupon on there website AAMCO - The Experts in Transmissions, Car A/C, Brakes Service, Tune-Ups & Total Car Care Even if your light is not on just tell them it was....
I would not let them do the work, but thats always a matter of opinion..

jasonmack77 12-21-2011 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by jasonmack77 (Post 11056770)
I have a 2005 F150 with the same thing happen. When it is in O/D and going 40 to 50 mph the transmission shifts hard between gears. But when I take it out of O/D it stops. I am taking it into the garage after Thanksgiving and want to know what I am looking at for repair cost. Can you please update what has happen to your truck.

Took it into the garage and they told me it was the 3rd coil. Have not had the problem since then.

fordiesel69 12-21-2011 11:11 PM

I run across this often with the crown victoria's / town cars. They essentially have the same drive train.

1.) Most common is a misfire on just one coil pack. Makes you think the tranny is acting up.
2.) Torque converter shudder. Causes a vibration and a sound while under load that make you think of a rumble strip. This is fixed by a battery pull and a new mercon v fluid.
3.) A faulty or mis-adjusted MLPS. It is located on the side of the tranny where the shift linkage attaches.
4.) A crack on the top of the filter. The black plastic portion of the filter gets old and brittle.

danlewicki 06-15-2012 10:10 AM

Same problem but found a solution

I just purchased a 2005 F-150 XLT 4x4 with 98k miles. Within the first week I had the exact same problem as drew_goeke did on his original post. As a matter of fact, when I encountered issues and read his post I was amazed at the similarities of our issues. The dealership gave me a 3k, 90 day warranty on the t truck, so I took in for service. They replaced coil #5 & #6, along with the plugs, and I haven't had an issue yet. I am going to pull the boat this weekend in an area with drastic elevation changes, so we'll see how it performs, but since they made the changes it's been great. Hope this helps someone else as much as it helped me!

Bigtony4 06-15-2012 05:23 PM

I had the same problem. It is a misfire on multiple coils. When you let off the gas and step on it again it jerks. Either get a good reader that gives live data and check or just replace all 8.

johnjets 07-13-2012 04:01 PM

same prob

Originally Posted by drew_goeke (Post 10383555)
I recently had the transmission fluid in my 2005 F150 drained, flushed, and replaced by a local garage that has done great work in the past. Shortly after it was changed I noticed that between 45-55 mph if im cruising in overdrive (mostly in slow traffic) that the transmission will jerk the entire truck. If feels almost like I hit a pothole in the road.....but I know its the tranny jolting the entire truck. Furthermore, it only happens when overdrive is engadged and I press the gas just a little more, but not enough to make it down shift into 4th gear. I don't know if the tranny is trying to downshift and can't decided whether to or not, or if there is something internally wrong. Any information you can provide me with would be great.

At the moment this only happens when in overdrive. I fear that if I let this continue to happen I will lose OD completely or worse yet.....lose my entire transmission. What might this be due to?

so didit work