Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Michigan Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum85/)
-   -   Need help with 7.3L powerstroke. anyone have scanner (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1069044-need-help-with-7-3l-powerstroke-anyone-have-scanner.html)

Milwaukee1979F150 05-22-2011 05:04 PM

Need help with 7.3L powerstroke. anyone have scanner

I am in Trenton

I bought 00 F350 7.3L so have issues with run rough and hard start.

Engine light is ON so I tried my scanner it say nothing codes on but there engine light ON.

PO replace so many parts on engine that confused me. On quick rev there TONS blue smoke but if you do slow rev almost no smoke or little blue smoke.

Very hard start. Have 1 bad glow plugs.

jimmyv13 05-26-2011 12:08 AM

I have an SCT, how far away are we? I'm fairly new to the area.

craftsmangary 05-26-2011 07:01 AM

Is it drivable? What has been done to it? How many miles? If the CEL is on you have codes. If the PO was throwing parts at it he must have been guessing, and that gets expensive and usually causes more problems.
If you can get it to me I have scanners that can do a buzz test and cylinder contriburion test, and I'm in South Lyon

SDElwood 05-26-2011 07:59 AM

Makes me wonder if the valve cover wiring harness has some goofs. Not too hard to check and it is a beer drinking sport.

Milwaukee1979F150 05-26-2011 08:52 AM

I end order AE scanner but everybody live far away.

I don't trust this truck to be on highway. It will drive but sometime you push more on gas it POUR BLACK smoke.

It have very bad hesitance and shake when Rev.

It only had 210K miles. Everybody told me it low compression I don't believe because it run too good at idle. Have 8 dead glow plugs.

CEL is on when crank and run. I am going check that truck with AE scanner today. Just got AE last night.

craftsmangary 05-26-2011 09:11 AM

Was a compression test done with a guage, if not it a guess......... and most times a guess is wrong. With 210k the original injectors will be near the end of there life cycle. Post the codes you get.

Milwaukee1979F150 05-26-2011 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by craftsmangary (Post 10388330)
Was a compression test done with a guage, if not it a guess......... and most times a guess is wrong. With 210k the original injectors will be near the end of there life cycle. Post the codes you get.

It guess because it idle very good for 210K miles. But it misfire shake when in gear.

Will go get codes in couple hours. Truck in Monroe.

Milwaukee1979F150 05-26-2011 01:27 PM

Got new codes again

P1280
P1293
P1284

Can't rev anymore or it blow smoke badly.

I look at ICP connector it been cover in oil.

tlb22 12-16-2011 09:49 AM

I have a 2003 F350 dually i bought off a friend. it does the exact same thing. if i start it everyday it is ok, but just ok, still have to run for a while before it runs good. if you dont let it warm up for a long time and you try to drive it, it viberates very bad at times. no matter how hard you press the peddle the responce can very from not much when cold, to normal when ran a while. a while being 20 min, maybe longer. I used my dads edge programmer to adjust increase HP and it did help, but not enough. I unplugged the injector harness one at a time while running and when i unplugged the passenger side it died, so i knew my rough "running/idle" is mostly from the driver side. i replaced the injector harness as they are known to burn up. Still rough run/idle. it appears to me that i have an injector or multiple injectors bad on the drivers side. given i have 260,000 miles they are all probably limping along. given the rough starts i would guess injector O rings are bad allowing fuel to leak off. O rings may by time, but limited time. I hate to purchase 8 new injectors. any one have any advice? used to be able to purchase rebuild kits for them, can you still and where? anyone have any experience with aftermarket injectors? will an injector buzz test confirm my thoughts about needing injectors 100%? I will pass along anything i discover. my last thought is, can a person take the valve cover off and unplug one injector at a time to see if there is a performance difference? i know oil will go everywhere, but does anyone see a negative affect this would have. then i could pin point the exact injectors and just replace them for the time being, before i replace them all. test like spark plugs on a gas car. if no performace difference when unplugged then that one(s) are bad.

Milwaukee1979F150 12-16-2011 10:30 AM

Mine had bad PCM, 6 bad injectors. They work great when it warm up. Cold it still miss and rough. Now it running great but tiny rough but it Michigan winter here.

Cheapest reman injectors I trust. Riffraff Diesel: Stock Rebuilt Injectors

officer131 12-20-2011 12:10 PM

P1280 ICP Circuit Out of Range Low.
p1293 High Side Open Bank No. 1 (Right)
p1284 ICP Failure - Aborts KOER/CCT Test

sorry came into this thread just now. These are coddes from guzzles website. Welcome to guzzle's Diagnostic Trouble Code list Web Page

RickBraden 12-22-2011 12:50 PM

I live very closr to you

I'm within 5-6 miles of you. I have Scangauge 2, Edge Evolution CTS, & Auto Enginuity for the Ford stuff. Let me know if I can help you out. I'd be happy to helip you out if I can.

SDElwood 03-10-2015 01:25 PM

You hiding in here with the beer Rich?

Toyman 03-10-2015 03:13 PM

No but I've been wondering where Milwaukee has been lately......

SDElwood 03-10-2015 03:14 PM

Liar! I found the beer.