Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   How to jack truck? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1067982-how-to-jack-truck.html)

loopsy 05-18-2011 10:32 AM

How to jack truck?

Hi all
I am going to do the front brakes and would like to know what the best way to lift the front is and put on stands. I’m not sure what part of the front is best to use to lift. I have a 3 ton floor jack and a 10 ton bottle jack. How about the rear also?
Thanks
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
2004, F-350 diesel, 4X4, Crew, LB, Auto, 101,000 miles:
Bilstein shocks, Fumoto, Zoodad, MBRP 4” turbo back, Edge Insight, EGT probe

SuperDutyScaler 05-18-2011 11:43 AM

the front passenger side of my 4x4 i jack it up and place a 3ton stand under the leaf spring mount and i just keep the jeck under the drivers front pumpkin but i place another 3ton stand under the drivers side just in case.
The rear i put a piece of wood i cut out to fit in my jack mount and lift the rear up by the pumpkin in the middle place two 3ton stands under the axle right below the ubolts and remove the jack. simple and safe

mwsF250 05-18-2011 02:15 PM

I've jacked from multiple locations from end to end on the axles and had no issues.

Jack stands are for sissies. And for people who have not seen what happens when a jack slips or collapses. Kinda like a big grape being stepped on.... But nastier. Talk to any ambulance driver, EMT, or morgue technician.

loopsy 05-18-2011 03:07 PM

Thanks for this info, this helps.

Ian123 05-18-2011 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by mwsF250 (Post 10357732)

Jack stands are for sissies.

How exactly are they for sissies?

rattleNsmoke 05-18-2011 04:25 PM

To chime in.....the owners manual says NOT to jack the axle from the differential. Where on the front end do you place the floor jack? I've lifted my straight axle F350 many times by the diff without any probs, but unsure on the '06.

maverick22 05-18-2011 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ian123 (Post 10358235)

I think he was joking, read the rest of his post. Had a friend break a leg when a jack didn't hold, he's lucky that's all that was under there. I certainly use stands whenever any part of me is going to be under any part of a vehicle.

BolognaBlake 05-18-2011 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ian123 (Post 10358235)

Also, what are you using?

mwsF250 05-18-2011 05:18 PM

Any sarcasm can be too subtle for some... Sorry! Any person not using jack stands (or better) method to support vehicle is really flirting with the reaper. I have a couple friends that are EMT's and they've described what happens when a human head gets squished to 5% of its original diameter.

Fortunately, I have not had a vehicle land on me. We did have a close family friend have it happen. He was very lucky that it was a race car and missed his head, so he was only in hospital for a few weeks (broken bones and a couple ruptured organs).

I did take a scary ride under a vehicle on which the parking pawl and parking brake both failed at same time. Coulda (shoulda?) been fatal, but I got off with only serious road rash. Now I use multiple wheel chocks as well...

When I'm under car, I use jack AND multiple fixed devices. I use stacked bricks and timbers whenever possible as (properly used) they are even more stable than stands.

exiled 05-18-2011 05:20 PM

On my 04 I put the jack somewhere between the leafsprings and knuckle.

mwsF250 05-18-2011 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke (Post 10358248)
To chime in.....the owners manual says NOT to jack the axle from the differential. Where on the front end do you place the floor jack? I've lifted my straight axle F350 many times by the diff without any probs, but unsure on the '06.

I'm GUESSING the not from differential is referring to trying to jack with the factory supplied toy jack? Or maybe referring to not jacking on the pinion? Or trying to force folks to jack only one side or the other to minimize load on jack? Or to prevent folks getting run over by jacking both rear wheels up at the same time on a slope? (I'm leaning towards that one - it happens more than you think!)

After looking inside one, I can't see any reason not to use a properly equipped floor jack under the pumpkin.

rattleNsmoke 05-18-2011 08:29 PM

I was hoping papa Ford didn't go to tin foil diff housings....:-roll
I'll not hesitate to jack the snot out of it next time. :-jammin

Gevans17 05-18-2011 08:59 PM

where to jack

i normally use my floor jack under the frame, with 1 or 2 jack stands for insurance

Gordon-0 05-18-2011 10:17 PM

how about for a twin i beam truck, where do i jack to have the suspension hang?
frame?

can i jack from the bar under the tow hooks?

EXv10 05-18-2011 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by mwsF250 (Post 10357732)
I've jacked from multiple locations from end to end on the axles and had no issues.

Jack stands are for sissies. And for people who have not seen what happens when a jack slips or collapses. Kinda like a big grape being stepped on.... But nastier. Talk to any ambulance driver, EMT, or morgue technician.

Bricks and timbers are for idiots.:-X18