Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum35/)
-   -   How do you drain a door? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1066070-how-do-you-drain-a-door.html)

Furyus1 05-10-2011 10:35 PM

How do you drain a door?

We've been having some pretty good rain here and now I have water sloshing around in my driver's-front door.

It was already getting dark when I was looking around the under side of the door - is there a drain somewhere?

My first thought is a drain that got plugged but I'm not even sure if this door has a drain to begin with.

Anybody run into this?

Old93junk 05-11-2011 12:04 AM

It should have a vent in the bottom for water, must be plugged with some debris.

Lazy K 05-11-2011 03:42 AM

Look under the door where the door skin folds round the frame. There should be two slotted drains about two feet apart. Probably blocked as Old93 says, unblock with a piece of 16g wire.

Furyus1 05-11-2011 12:40 PM

Thanks for the responses :). I found the drains and they were blocked alright - They had these black plastic covers clipped on to the drain openings. These covers had completely blocked the openings and I can't figure out why in the world they are on there in the first place.

As soon as I removed these covers, I must have had around a 1/2 gallon or so of water come pouring out. Makes me wonder what the inside of the door looks like now...

I checked the passenger's side door and it has those covers clipped on to the drain openings also...

These almost look to me like something that should have been removed during production. Anybody else run across this?

tomw 05-12-2011 06:49 AM

The black 'covers' are actually flaps that are supposed to move out of the way to let water drain out, but fall back into place to keep dust and dirt out. If you look closely I think you will see what I mean. If you had dusty road driving for a long time, and then got rain, it could have turned to mud inside the door, and blocked the drains. Then you got more rain, and it filled the cavity before it could flush out the mud, or leaves, or pine needles or whatever.
If you can put the flaps back whence they came, you should. IMO.
tom

Furyus1 05-12-2011 08:38 AM

Makes sense about the flaps... But these things are stuck on there good and tight - they don't move, which would explain all the water in the door.

There was a little bit of mud at one of the openings but not enough to plug it - the only thing plugging these opening were the flaps themselves...

I might try cleaning them up and see if I can get them to work right...

Thanks for clearing up what they are :)

tomw 05-12-2011 10:32 AM

Well, I am not going to be my paycheck on it either way. I know some vehicles have the flaps, but my old ranger just has elongated openings with no flap. Don't know why they would have put plugs in unless it was expected to float somewhere or keep water out when fording streams??? Ha. Got me.
tom

Old93junk 05-12-2011 10:35 AM

Spiders and mud dauber wasps love to build nests in these openings too, just another thing to plug em' up.

reddog99 05-12-2011 08:18 PM

I've have to periodically clean out mud dauber nests in my differential vent hoses.

Furyus1 05-13-2011 07:35 AM

We don't get too many mud daubers around here but we do get paper wasps - I've had to scrape a few of those nests out of various places...

I think I figured these covers out - they snap into place, but they have these little "offsets" molded into them that are supposed to keep the cover from sealing the opening and allow water to flow out - not very much water - maybe a drop at a time... Maybe I'll take a picture...