Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   AC works for 5-10 mins then gets warm (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1065840-ac-works-for-5-10-mins-then-gets-warm.html)

PPrash 05-10-2011 05:14 AM

AC works for 5-10 mins then gets warm

I bought a 99 F350 over the winter. Turned on the AC for first time yesterday as it hit 90. It would cool well for 5-10 mins then the air would get warm. If I turned the fan down it would get cold again. If I turned up the fan it would all of the subben be warm again in 5 mins. Is this a sign it is low on freon?

BigPigDaddy 05-10-2011 10:13 AM

Have you checked your A/C compressor air gap? Sounds like that is your problem.

Bigpipes 35 05-10-2011 10:20 AM

I think another issue these trucks have is the blend door not opening or closing fully due to a vacume issue or a broken blend door.

PPrash 05-10-2011 10:20 AM

would it be expected that the comp. clutch could engage to begin with and then drop out after running 5-10 mins?

SDElwood 05-10-2011 11:09 AM

My compressor cycles on and off, it's normal. I did have the warm air problem too - it was the blend door as mentioned above. The vacuum pump on the passenger side fender decided to stop working. I think it was like $30 at NAPA.

PPrash 05-10-2011 11:33 AM

is there an easy way to diagnose the blend door? It seems like I looked and that was not vacuum but stepper motor driven a few years ago when I put a heater core in? I will do some searching, thanks for the push.

BigPigDaddy 05-11-2011 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by PPrash (Post 10323428)
would it be expected that the comp. clutch could engage to begin with and then drop out after running 5-10 mins?

Yes. The link I posted explains why and how to fix it yourself. I don't know that it is your problem, but it is pretty easy to check with a feeler gauge. :-X22

"Like any device with clutch plates, they eventually wear. In this case, the "air gap" wears wider. Eventually, the air gap becomes so wide that the electro-magnetic coil that pulls in the clutch plate can no longer do its job, and the air conditioning compressor (Ford FS-10) no longer comes on, resulting in no cold air.

In reality, before it completely fails, the clutch becomes intermittent, and you get cold air sometimes, and sometimes not. Usually it works upon initial turn-on for a couple of minutes, then loses the ability. I suspect this is due to the difference in magnetism with slightly different amounts of current passing through the magnet's coil. Cold wire has lower resistance, thus it's easier for current to pass, thus more current, and more magnetism to overcome the greater air gap."

PPrash 05-11-2011 04:48 PM

yea, my issues look to be clutch related. it started getting warm so I pulled over. Comp. wa not running. I tapped it with a flashlight and it kicked in. So, I will check gap tonight. I printed instruction and plan to look at it.

ToaDisco 05-12-2011 12:58 AM

If you could, post up some results of the repair. I've got the same problem, and it's quickly rising to the top of the "to do list" as the weather is warming up.

PPrash 05-12-2011 06:13 AM

I took the AC clutch disk off last night and removed 1 washer & put it back on. Much closer gap now with no noise at idle with AC off. I will test today and report back. I assume it will help.

BigPigDaddy 05-12-2011 12:44 PM

Looking forward to hearing if this cures the problem.

By the way, I really hope your name is P. Prash. ;)

PPrash 05-12-2011 10:05 PM

FYI, It was the clutch air gap. Worrked perfec today. Very easy to do. Note the little washers want to stay on the comp shaft too as it has magnetism.

ToaDisco 05-12-2011 11:09 PM

Thanks for the update.

fifty-two_f1 05-30-2011 07:06 PM

So what was the gap when you started?

Originally Posted by PPrash (Post 10335189)
FYI, It was the clutch air gap. Worrked perfec today. Very easy to do. Note the little washers want to stay on the comp shaft too as it has magnetism.

PPrash 05-30-2011 09:55 PM

no idea. It took about 45 seconds to get the clutch off. I removed 1 of the 2 washers, put it back on, been working perfect. I just got home from a 500 mile trip pulling boat from weekend. AC was ice cold.