Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum35/)
-   -   Rear leaf spring bushings (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1064687-rear-leaf-spring-bushings.html)

Marky48170 05-05-2011 06:20 PM

Rear leaf spring bushings

I have a 1988 2 wd ranger that needs the rear spring bushings replaced. Just wondering if anyone can give me some tips on replacing them. Also just go with stock or urethane?

Phinxter 05-06-2011 09:14 PM

going to replace my rear shackles and hangers tomorrow. I have a full arsenal of tools, I'll let you know what works. The shackle kits I have came with rubber press in bushings.

tomw 05-07-2011 07:55 AM

I haven't done the Ranger, but did a Comet when the leaves needed to be re-arced. Lots of grunt work. The bushings don't want to come out and the new ones don't want to go in without a lot of persuading. The shackles don't want to let the bushings come free even after you pull the long bolts & nuts. Just heavy duty grunt work. Removing the U-bolts is not an easy task either. From memory, to have someone do all the removing and installing would have been a small charge on top of the re-arcing. If I ever do it again, I plan on letting the spring shop do the work, as they have all the tools AND have done the task eleventy-seven times, so know all the tricks and have all the 6 foot long prybars you need to muscle the stuff around. Have fun.
tom

cj06 05-07-2011 12:55 PM

easiest way is to burn the old bushings out and then put urethane ones back in ! you can also drill small holes around the bushing to help them come out ! there should be a metal sleeve on the outside of the old bushing , you can take a torch and trim it out or a chisel and cut it out or a sawzall and cut one side then it would come out ! if you use a chisel the the spring must be put on some thing solid so you can hammer with out any rebounding of the spring !

Phinxter 05-07-2011 08:29 PM

welp got the old mounts out, or should I say rivets with a bit of metal attached using a cutting torch followed by an air hammer. The bushings came out pretty easy after I cooked it a bit. Just need to press in the new ones.

racsan 05-07-2011 08:29 PM

i use a torch to make things easier, dont count on using any old hardware. clean things up real good and use anti-seize on the inside of the spring eye (as a lubricant) when you go to put the new bushings in. to do that i used a long bolt with some washers and a socket to "press" the bushing back into place. not a quick,clean or simple job, but it is at-home do-able with the right stuff. or take the springs off and take them somewhere and have it done.

Phinxter 05-07-2011 09:10 PM

I thought of this before I saw this video
YouTube - here is a simple way to replace those worn out leaf spring bushings

5.0 Heaven 05-07-2011 09:16 PM

Just a small tip on this topic. I use my torches on all kinds of jobs to get "frozen" items to come loose but you need to be real careful using high heat on spring steel. It does not take a lot to change the metal in ways you will not be happy with. Cutting one edge with sawsall as and driving out with air chisel as mentioned is safest bet.

Phinxter 05-07-2011 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by 5.0 Heaven (Post 10314025)
Just a small tip on this topic. I use my torches on all kinds of jobs to get "frozen" items to come loose but you need to be real careful using high heat on spring steel. It does not take a lot to change the metal in ways you will not be happy with. Cutting one edge with sawsall as and driving out with air chisel as mentioned is safest bet.

I used a propane torch, I found that if I just caught the bushing on fire that was good enough. I didn't really want to apply any more heat than necessary.

powersmoked 05-08-2011 05:00 AM

TO REMOVE THE BUSHING TAKE A 1/4 DRILL BIT AND DRILL A LOT OF HOLES THROUGH THE RUBBER PART OF THE BUSING. THE BUSHING THEN SEPARATES AND THEN METAL PARTS COME OUT.......IT TAKES ME ABOUT 2 MINUTES TO REMOVE A BUSHING AND I DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THE TORCH DOING ANY DAMAGE.

Phinxter 05-08-2011 07:18 PM

I used the same method as the guy in the vid. worked good and the tool cost about $6 to make. The rear end went up like 3 inches. I think if I ever had to do the front mounts i would rather use to poly style bushings though.