Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Banjo Bolts? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1064472-banjo-bolts.html)

cutlass 05-04-2011 08:03 PM

Banjo Bolts?

I thought I would get everyone's thoughts on using aftermarket high flow Banjo Bolts at the ends of the fuel rails. The claim is that it increases fuel flow and eliminates the restriction created by the original banjo bolts. It's for those using larger injectors and other horsepower mods. Does anyone have any experience using these in their truck?

Thanks

rat49f6 05-04-2011 10:00 PM

i think cory used them on his latest and engine build
im thinking of doing them too but would also like to have more info

sledheadm7 05-04-2011 10:47 PM

some where i heard you could just drill them out and make them bigger idk where i saw that???? will look around and see if i can find it

Larry_the_handyman 05-04-2011 11:34 PM

I got the upgraded banjo bolts from Strictly Diesel when I replaced my up pipes and I can safely say that I would NEVER do it as a stand alone project. My fear in drilling them out was how big I should drill and how much torque it would take to seal them without breaking. It's kinda hard to test them until the engine is back together and I don't wanna tear the whole thing back apart for a stupid o-ring or broken bolt. To me it seemed like $80 I'll never have to spend again.

cutlass 05-04-2011 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Larry_the_handyman (Post 10303293)
I got the upgraded banjo bolts from Strictly Diesel when I replaced my up pipes and I can safely say that I would NEVER do it as a stand alone project. My fear in drilling them out was how big I should drill and how much torque it would take to seal them without breaking. It's kinda hard to test them until the engine is back together and I don't wanna tear the whole thing back apart for a stupid o-ring or broken bolt. To me it seemed like $80 I'll never have to spend again.

Could you feel any benefit from the upgraded banjo bolts?

I'm considering putting these onto my reman. engine I'm going to put in my truck. So these bolts are going to be easily accessible to change out before I install the engine. I'm assuming by what you've said that the tear-down involved with the engine in the truck is not ideal, but in my case would you do this modification?

Larry_the_handyman 05-05-2011 12:05 AM

I did A LOT of mods all at once. I can't attribute my gains to any one upgrade. Having the new and old side by side there's a HUGE difference. Blowing through the old one is like trying to blow through a coffee straw. The new one is like a garden hose.

BadDogKuzz 01-01-2012 11:05 PM

I don't have $99 to spend on banjo bolts and wish I did. They are a very nice product. Because I have my trans out and I am just going to mod a set of banjo bolts and new orings from Bob / Diesel Oring. But when I pulled mine today I have the OBS banjo bolts I guess left overs since my build date is 8/98. The OBS bolt were straight and the 99-03 had a tapper at the fuel opening.
I am wondering if anyone had a set of 99-03 banjo bolts they wanted to part with ?
If not I guess I'll just mod the ones I have and reinstall.
I know I don't NEED them modded but improving on little things can't hurt. Besides once the up pipes and trans is in I hope I never have to deal with a oring leaking at the back of the head.
On that note I am also replacing the oil rail plug orings too. They have a new updated one out now. And I sure as hell don't want to try to replace them once the trans and up pipes are in.

mueckster 01-02-2012 12:11 AM

This talk of banjo bolts has got me thinking. :-huh I know; a dangerous thing. :p Why would you really need four bolts when the fuel feeds through only one end of the head; other than eliminating the o-ring seal of the OEM bolts on the other two? I may just modify the two up front since I have my fuel bowl delete installed and am feeding both heads from that side. ;)

bfife 01-02-2012 08:14 AM

}> look out!!! Roland thinking again :-X04

Barney

mueckster 01-02-2012 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by bfife (Post 11227181)
}> look out!!! Roland thinking again :-X04

Barney

Sad, isn't it! :-X15
I figured you don't really need the extra flow on the return side of the head. In a stock configuration, this wouldn't be of any help at the "deadhead" end.

Larry_the_handyman 01-12-2012 01:46 AM

Those banjo bolts are basically a patch to cover the fuel passage bored through the injector bores. Without them there's no way to ream the casting core from that part of the head. On the back side they're basically a plug, but having them at both ends allows the heads to be flipped around without changing the bolts and manufacturing two different parts.

BadDog, if you still need a set of originals lemme know. I found all four of mine today.

BadDogKuzz 01-12-2012 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Larry_the_handyman (Post 11272331)
Those banjo bolts are basically a patch to cover the fuel passage bored through the injector bores. Without them there's no way to ream the casting core from that part of the head. On the back side they're basically a plug, but having them at both ends allows the heads to be flipped around without changing the bolts and manufacturing two different parts.

BadDog, if you still need a set of originals lemme know. I found all four of mine today.

Thanks for the offer Larry :-wink but I already drilled out the ones I had and replaced orings. Did you go with the Strickly Diesel ones ?

Larry_the_handyman 01-12-2012 04:12 PM

Yeah. I didn't wanna risk putting weakened bolts on the back of the head with the engine still in the truck. The back bolts are hard enough to get to and the thought of being back there with a tap out horrifies me.

MikeSDK 04-16-2012 09:32 AM

I'm under the impression that there's really no way to replace these without the up-pipes being off- is that correct?

Don't the banjo bolts have to come out to drain the fuel when injectors are replaced? If so, then the up-pipes have to come out when replacing injectors too?

PaysonPSD 04-16-2012 09:57 AM

I don't see how drilling out the banjo bolts or installing the "upgraded" bolts does anything to overcome the restriction of the fuel rails. Those suckers are tiny.

Now if someone could post before and after WOT fuel pressure and it is actually increased after installing the upgraded bolts I would be a believer.