Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   94 F350 no start (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1063552-94-f350-no-start.html)

kingford72 05-01-2011 07:15 PM

94 F350 no start

yes it is a PSD. Driving the truck one day at a redlight, truck starts to run rough, pulled out when green has barely enough power to move itself, I pull over, its idleing rough for about a minute and dies, I start it back up and does the same thing. Since I'm about 100 yards from a advance auto I got a fuel filter and a CPS (BDW brand) install this stuff and same thing happens. I get it on the trailer and get it home, now at home I can't get it to start at all now. I printed a no start checklist off a thread here so I just go through that--
1. no codes were present gave me a 1111 all good and 911 which isnt listed on the thread in this forum are 94's code different, the ones in that thread look like there for a gas engine.
2. there is no chips or tuners (stock motor)
3. WTS light comes on and goes off as normal
4. the oil has 1400 miles on it and looks good but I changed it anyway because im trying to clean it out (this also how many miles I have on the truck myself) I bought the truck not running needed injector Orings on 1 cylinder -- major oil out the exhaust.
5. I have 200 RPM while cranking with both CPS in,
6. pulled #22 fuse and dropped it into the fenderwell and lost it so yes it was changed,
7. I have 15 psi at the schrader valve (more on this later)
8. I took the valve covers off to check connectors and everything looks good
9. I swaped the 2 relays in front for the 2 relays in back
10. had the ICP unpluged still no start
11. HPOP oil level was at about 7/8 from top Ive seen some people say it should be within 1" from top and some people say it should be 1/2" from top?
12. I dont have a gauge to check high pressure fuel rail I'll see what I can Come up with.
13. I did try another IDM out of a 97 F250 and still no start

Now for the fuel pressure, it fluctuates a little while cranking with a low of 12 and a high of 18, so I changed the fuel pump and I got the same readings??? I printed a thread off here for fuel pump replacement it didn't say anything about purging lines could this be my problem? I gave it a shot of ether and it started up but died right away, I know I know I don't like it either but it was just a test and I'm starting to beat my head against a wall with this thing. Could it be the Fuel pressure regulator? I did clean the screen when I had the fuel bowl out for the fuel pump. Sorry for a long post but I just want to be as thorough as posible what do you all think. truck has a 5-speed.

Thanks...

Action4478 05-01-2011 07:50 PM

My first thought is the under valve cover wiring , you checked it , so my next thought is IPR . But the IPR crapping out is usually like shutting off the key .. Ohm the injector wiring . The injectors should all read aprox 3.2 ohms ..

If you have a bad solenoid , it can shut down one entire side (IDM ) protect mode ....But, it will usually start ...

fordpride 05-01-2011 08:03 PM

You can also check the spring in the FPR it's behind the big 3/4" brass bolt the spring could be broke

kingford72 05-01-2011 08:24 PM

Ok i'll check tomarrow after work and let you guys know what I found

arkredneck 05-02-2011 05:29 AM

Did you try switching fuel tanks?

kingford72 05-02-2011 04:14 PM

Action4478-- I ohm'd the injectors today heres what I found pass side from rear 2.9 2.8 3.0 3.0 and the driver side from front 3.1 3.0 3.0 3.0

arkredneck -- I did try to switch tanks

fordpride -- I checked the spring and it does look broke, but there were no pcs in there just the single spring, you can tell because most springs end with a square wrap on the end, this looks broke off to me, look at one side vs the other, broke side was against the nut, the spring is not quite 15/16" lg but on the other hand it did run for 1400 mile the way it was, it did seem to run out at heavy throttle though, heres a pic http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/u...2/IMG_0081.jpg

mq1shooter 05-02-2011 06:05 PM

Well you could try shimming with a BB and see it that increases your Fuel Pressure???
I am looking at some troubleshooting pages and I see that 20 psi min.

fordpride 05-02-2011 06:10 PM

do you have a little magnet that you can stick in there cause you should of had a plunger come out with the spring

kingford72 05-02-2011 06:17 PM

yes I do have the plunger it has a cone shape with hole for spring on one end and a triangle shape with flats on the other

fordpride 05-02-2011 06:19 PM

the spring is definitely broke
see where the BB is. Put the FPR back together with a BB their and see what happens
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=69040

fordpride 05-02-2011 06:23 PM

your missing about 1/4" maybe a little less of that spring

kingford72 05-02-2011 06:42 PM

Is the ball bearing part of the stock setup.

superduty4x4 05-02-2011 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by kingford72 (Post 10293139)
Is the ball bearing part of the stock setup.

No, it's a quick/easy mod to up your fuel PSI.

fordpride 05-02-2011 07:15 PM

Just use a BB for a BB gun

kingford72 05-03-2011 05:39 PM

I got a BB today, 5 actually just in case, I started off with 2 BB, 1 to take up what is lost from the spring, and 1 to boost the fuel pressure a little. It did bump up fuel pressure I was getting 22 psi, still fluctuating but it sounded like it wanted to start, So I took a screwdriver on the glow sel. for about 30 seconds and cranked it, it fired and I reved it a bit and had to vacate the garage, it filled with so much dark smoke I couldn't see, after clearing I took 1 BB out started and pulled outside, still smoking, not as bad, so I took the other BB out, Now its back to just the broken spring it started OK for me and didn't smoke but it ran like it did at the red light -rough idle, flutter to it when you give it gas-- so I put 1 BB back in and that seem to take the flutter away but along with the smoke that thing was banging and shaking like crazy. I did notice once the engine fires that the fuel pressure was up around 40 psi at idle, just during cranking im only getting lower readings.