Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   Electrical problems...Fuse Panel..Help! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1062761-electrical-problems-fuse-panel-help.html)

Chargerkid 04-28-2011 04:14 PM

Electrical problems...Fuse Panel..Help!

I have my 2001 Excursion V10 4x4 in the shop right now. I am having some electrical problems. I noticed that the ground wire was separated from the negative battery terminal. I took it to a shop because there is a draw and killing my new battery. The shop repaired the ground wire on the negative cable. Before I took it in, I would sometimes hear a clicking noise under the dash while driving. The speedo even stopped working. It worked back when the cable was disconnected overnight. Also at times, the radio would stay on or when the driver door is open and key is out the key indicator would go off with the key out. Currently, the shop said that I need a new fuse panel. They said they had 4 blown fuses or blowing the fuses. Do I need a fuse panel? If so, I called around and no dealer has one. Not having luck with the salvage yards either. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

05MilMachine 04-28-2011 05:13 PM

It sounds like you may have a window leak...We need a GEM/Fuse panel sticky at the top of this page... So many people have this issue with not only Excursions but the entire F-series. When the windshield, window or body seams leak your Generic Electronic Module gets wet, its located on the back of the fuse panel. This box controls almost everything in your truck and when it gets wet, strange things start happening. The fuse box corrodes pretty fast when wet and sometimes needs replaced along with the GEM. They can be tricky to find as with most GEMS you either need one from the same model with the same options or need to have it programmed at a dealership.
Whatever you do, fix the leak before doing anything to the electronics or it will just keep happening. I never did find one for my 97 F150 and ended up trading it towards my Excursion.

Chargerkid 04-29-2011 09:23 PM

So no luck in finding one. If this is such a common problem, why isn't there a part out there. Also did not notice any type of leaks. Does anybody know where I can get one?

Jamerian 04-30-2011 07:43 PM

I'm Pretty sure that you'll need to order one from Ford .. then have it flashed at a dealer. Ive replaced 2 of these GEMS for customers now and they corrode out cause of water leaks like previously mentioned. The computer can also have an internal short or could have been damaged from a short. If your good at it then you can pull it.. take it apart.. and see whats happening in there.

05MilMachine 04-30-2011 10:32 PM

Just FYI, I found a company that will fix your GEM for a flat rate. You ship it to them, they fix it and ship back. I never got around to using them so I cant say what kind of results you could expect, but there are options other than a new one. I can not remember what site it was though as my computer died and I had to get a new one. :)

woundedknee 05-24-2011 01:31 PM

Electrical gremlin

I have a similar problem on my 04 V10 4X4, temporary power loss to the stereo and all windows. :-huh

Jamerian 05-25-2011 12:10 AM

Last week I just developed a parasitic draw on my system which destroyed my battery after boosting it every day.. 310mA coming from the GEM. I removed it and of course i found green terminals on it. Woe is me...

Till i can find a way to fix it.. i have to unplug a fuse every night.

Chargerkid 09-19-2011 07:31 PM

I replaced the fuse box in June. Now I am having problems with the theft light blinking and Overdrive light coming on and off while driving. Yes its leaking water on the left side of the dash. Where is the water coming from? Someone mentioned windshield? It does have some rust issues on top of the windshield but nothing visible when rains. It just puddles water on the left side floor board..any suggestions. Also someone metioned that I can get my old fuse box fixed?

wallz 09-19-2011 07:48 PM

Your seeing rust outside and not seeing water. Have someone push up from the inside on that top corner of windshield and while you look on outside and see if it moves. Also you can take of the pillar trim on inside and have a better look at water intrusion with a light.
I would suspect that the pinchweld that the glass gets glued to has rust and water is getting in and it will be hard to find and fix without taking the glass out. Have a quick look like I said and then go visit a glass shop and let them have a look.

Chargerkid 09-21-2011 10:44 AM

Wallz..Thank you for the reply. The truck has been starting lately even with the theft light blicking occasionally. I have a shop next to Safelite Auto Glass. They said alot the excursions leak from the luggage racks and sneak water through the channels. I am going to take the truck to a body shop to get the glass removed and the rust repaired...hopefully this does it. It's been a great truck for me.....262,000 MILES!!!!