Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   FX4 vs. 4X4 vs. Off Road - what's the diff? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1062741-fx4-vs-4x4-vs-off-road-whats-the-diff.html)

2horses 04-28-2011 02:34 PM

FX4 vs. 4X4 vs. Off Road - what's the diff?

Just wondering, I'm guessing it would be suspension-related more than anything. What I don't want is anything specifically designed to go off road, just need four wheel drive in case my trailer gets stuck with horses in it (it has happened...). Can someone tell me what the difference is, and is one preferable over the over?

2006lariat 04-28-2011 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by 2horses (Post 10277361)
Just wondering, I'm guessing it would be suspension-related more than anything. What I don't want is anything specifically designed to go off road, just need four wheel drive in case my trailer gets stuck with horses in it (it has happened...). Can someone tell me what the difference is, and is one preferable over the over?

The FX4 has some different options interior wise, and rancho shocks (not great ones), and may have an extra skidplate or 2. I think if it is a diesel 4X4 it has a limited slip no matter what package it has! (only what I have noticed in my neck of the woods). Basically not a huge differance. Any of the three will work for your needs!:-X22 Some ppl around hear say gearing is different, but that is moot, as the truck coulda been made with any of the gearsets available that year. Are you talking 2005-2010? The 11's I dont follow much. Actually since I got my 06, I dont particually follow any years! I like this truck alot, and just dont research much else!

bpounds 04-28-2011 03:59 PM

Depends on the year. Sometimes FX4 is just some accessories, other times FX4 is a trim level between XLT and Lariat.

4 x 4 just means that it is a 4WD.

4x4 Offroad is an earlier version of FX4.

For the most part, 4x4 Offroad and FX4 gets you skid plates under the transfer case and fuel tank, all-terrain tires, limited slip diff, shocks that say Rancho but really aren't, and a decal on the rear quarter flank.

For years where FX4 is a trim level ('08 and up IIRC), it gets you all the equipment of an XLT, plus the accessories I mentioned above, and maybe a few of the Lariat trim stuff, plus painted grille and mirror covers.

Other than being a 4WD, none of these things make any changes to the drivetrain, frame, body, etc. Same basic truck.

It is also interesting to note that F150 equipment for the various trim levels is totally different than the Superduty line. Even though they use the same names, the similarity stops there.

2horses 04-28-2011 05:21 PM

HUH! I had no idea it had to do with the trim level, never would have made the connection. Interesting! And thanks!

V10ZILLA 04-28-2011 07:13 PM

It all has to do with the year of your truck. Both FX4 and 4X4 have the same stuff. Ford just called them different depending on your year.

I have a 2009 XLT V10 with the 4X4 package. It has the rancho shocks (if you can call them that). Skid plates, All-terrain tires, limited slip, and a nice pretty decal that says 4X4 on the rear sides.

AlmightyCrash 10-24-2012 03:22 PM

How can I find out which mine is?
Id like to put graphics on the side/rear area, but don't know which to put there.
Help, please?

redford 10-24-2012 03:30 PM

You would need to tell us about your truck, AlmightCrash, before we could tell you what decal you would need and where to stick it. :D

AlmightyCrash 10-24-2012 03:52 PM

2000 F-250 Supercab
7.3l Turbo Diesel
6speed manual transmission
4wd

For more details and mods...visit my truck thread.
Nocturnal Overkill

Thanks!
And such a quick response! You guys are great!

TosaFords 10-24-2012 04:33 PM

FX4 isn't a trim level on the 2011-2012. It's just an accessory package.

Includes:
All-Terrain tires
Rancho branded shocks(Ford shocks painted White with a Rancho Sticker)
Transfer Case and Fuel Tank Skid Plates
Hill Descent Control

It requires that you get a Limited Slip axle on the DRW trucks and an Electronic Locking axle on the SRW trucks. Also requires 4x4.

You can get the FX4 package on any trim level(XL/XLT/Lariat/KIng Ranch).

cay5628 10-24-2012 05:53 PM

I can say with authenticity the 2006 Diesel 4x4 model comes with open diffs unless limited slip or other locker is selected as an option. I found that out the hard way with mine the first night home :). I had to back into a muddy area on my acess road to my house to let another vehciel go by and when I tried to pull back on the road, no dice, I was able to place it in 4wd and extricate myself from an embarrasing situation with my wife in the truck ("I thought this was a four wheel drive, yes dear it is")

It now has Yukon Gear Grizzly locker in the rear diff and an Eaton E locker up front, with the same 4x4 decal/badging :)

If I recall the FX4 was shocks and skid pates, limited slip diff, no locker was offered in the front. Don't know about the 3rd version given.
-Mark

Chad149 10-24-2012 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by TosaFords (Post 12408330)
FX4 isn't a trim level on the 2011-2012. It's just an accessory package.

Includes:
All-Terrain tires
Rancho branded shocks(Ford shocks painted White with a Rancho Sticker)
Transfer Case and Fuel Tank Skid Plates
Hill Descent Control

It requires that you get a Limited Slip axle on the DRW trucks and an Electronic Locking axle on the SRW trucks. Also requires 4x4.

You can get the FX4 package on any trim level(XL/XLT/Lariat/KIng Ranch).

X2. On the 150's FX4 is its own trim level and completly different from your Super Duty.

BigAlsPSD 10-24-2012 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by AlmightyCrash (Post 12408204)
2000 F-250 Supercab
7.3l Turbo Diesel
6speed manual transmission
4wd

For more details and mods...visit my truck thread.
Nocturnal Overkill

Thanks!
And such a quick response! You guys are great!

In 2000 you would only have a 4 X 4 or a 4X4 Off Road, the difference only being skid plates.

AlmightyCrash 10-24-2012 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by BigAlsPSD (Post 12409878)
In 2000 you would only have a 4 X 4 or a 4X4 Off Road, the difference only being skid plates.

Thanks!!
I just didn't want to look stupid or get made fun of for putting the wrong thing on. No skid plates, so it looks like 4x4 it is!
Now I just have to find the decals and hope they adhere to the Rhinoliner.
:)

Buck268 10-25-2012 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by bpounds (Post 10277752)
Depends on the year. Sometimes FX4 is just some accessories, other times FX4 is a trim level between XLT and Lariat.

4 x 4 just means that it is a 4WD.

4x4 Offroad is an earlier version of FX4.

For the most part, 4x4 Offroad and FX4 gets you skid plates under the transfer case and fuel tank, all-terrain tires, limited slip diff, shocks that say Rancho but really aren't, and a decal on the rear quarter flank.

For years where FX4 is a trim level ('08 and up IIRC), it gets you all the equipment of an XLT, plus the accessories I mentioned above, and maybe a few of the Lariat trim stuff, plus painted grille and mirror covers.

Other than being a 4WD, none of these things make any changes to the drivetrain, frame, body, etc. Same basic truck.

It is also interesting to note that F150 equipment for the various trim levels is totally different than the Superduty line. Even though they use the same names, the similarity stops there.

My '99 F250 has skid plates with an open diff... but maybe that's just too old to count.

BigPigDaddy 10-25-2012 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by AlmightyCrash (Post 12409941)
Thanks!!
I just didn't want to look stupid or get made fun of for putting the wrong thing on. No skid plates, so it looks like 4x4 it is!
Now I just have to find the decals and hope they adhere to the Rhinoliner.
:)

I don't think anyone is going to look under your truck to see if you have skid plates to go with your stickers. ;)

I don't know, but I don't think the stickers will adhere to rhinoliner. The first "mod" I made when I got my truck home was to remove the 4X4 OFF ROAD stickers. I like to keep people guessing what my truck is. :)