Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   aftermarket warranties? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1062707-aftermarket-warranties.html)

walkerfarms 04-28-2011 11:56 AM

aftermarket warranties?

Anyone ever purchased a warranty on an used truck? My brother just bought a 2008 F350 with 6.4L and 130,000 miles. They told him the warranty they could sell wouldn't work with vehicles over 100k. I am in the trucking business and we can buy warranty on trucks up to and over 750k all day long for $ 2500 that covers all major components, injectors, etc.

If you have what did you get and what did it cost?

bpounds 04-28-2011 04:10 PM

What I can tell you is that Ford won't sell you an extended warranty after the original 3yr/36k period has expired, except that you can buy an extended Diesel Care warranty (a derated version of it) up until the 5yr/100k motor warranty has expired. That's it. I like the Ford ESP warranty, but your brother won't be able to buy one.

What I can further tell you is that all aftermarket warranties are a rip-off, rarely pay for anything, and if they do pay they keep your mechanic on hold so long that he wants to shoot you.

Don't waste your money.

adam10 04-28-2011 04:40 PM

i bought one on my 99 f-250.it was 1,200 for 2 years unlimited mileage and covers the whole powertrain and some other things.i only used for my egr valve yet but didnt cost me anything and had truck back in a day.i took mine back where i bought though.they said they dont have to wait on approval since they sell the warranties.this is called c.a.r.s. warranty

walkerfarms 04-28-2011 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by adam10 (Post 10277942)
i bought one on my 99 f-250.it was 1,200 for 2 years unlimited mileage and covers the whole powertrain and some other things.i only used for my egr valve yet but didnt cost me anything and had truck back in a day.i took mine back where i bought though.they said they dont have to wait on approval since they sell the warranties.this is called c.a.r.s. warranty

do you have a phone # or website for C.A.R.S.? I see couple options for that name, just want to make sure I am dealing with a real deal.

IslandBlueV10 04-28-2011 10:19 PM

When I purchased my truck used throught ford dealership, my truck had 54000miles. I bought a 4 year or 60000 miles warrenty for $1600. I bought it through the dealership but it is a third party that the plan goes through. So far I had to have my torque converter replaced under the plan which was a $900 repair. But my warrenty would not cover the cost of tranny fluid or filter change, and I had to pay $100 deductable. So my out of pocket was around $275. And the ford service department could not provide the parts. I had to wait for the warrenty company to send the parts to ford. So ford tore my tranny out to replace the converter, got ready to put in the new parts, only to find out that they were sent the wrong part. Ford had to put everything back together and then wait over a week and a half to get the right part. Then do the job again. Both Ford and I was pissed about this one. It makes me wonder what cheap crap this warrenty company is probably getting for their warrenty claims. But I still have 2 years or 35000 miles to go on my warrenty. So I'll see if it paid for itself.

Johnny Langton 04-29-2011 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by bpounds (Post 10277798)

What I can further tell you is that all aftermarket warranties are a rip-off, rarely pay for anything, and if they do pay they keep your mechanic on hold so long that he wants to shoot you.

Don't waste your money.

This=FACT.
JL

adam10 04-30-2011 09:01 AM

the phone #is 1-888-335-6838.not sure of the website but i googled it and found it one time before. i know there main office islocated in pa.

1995droptopz 04-30-2011 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Johnny Langton (Post 10280204)
This=FACT.
JL

x2...Unless it is a factory backed extended warranty, its not worth it. They try to use used parts, not cover anything, etc.