Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum40/)
-   -   AO Dominator trans. experience??? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1062447-ao-dominator-trans-experience.html)

RottenRon 04-27-2011 04:28 PM

AO Dominator trans. experience???

G'day guys.

I'm looking at getting an AO Dominator 4 speed O/D auto shipped over from the Tranmission Center. AOD Transmission from PATC, AOD Transmissions

Anyone used one of these? They sound the goods, but I have come across a couple of bad posts in a Google search. I'd hate to shell out the foldin stuff for a trans and shipping, only to get a dud.

I'm hoping to use it in my 65 F350. She's about to get a new cam in the baby stroker 351c, and will drop a bit of power, (down to about 400hp), but will pick up around 35 ft/lbs, up to around 470 ft/lb.

Has anyone personally used one of these AO Dominators, or, know of someone who has?

Cheers, Ron.

crashtke 04-28-2011 03:23 PM

Ron, I have not. Thankfully I have the pleasure of working with a 17 year Senior Ford Master Tech who specializes in transmissions. I am not sure how good those particular guys are, but the AOD transmission can be made plenty strong. I am currently having a similar automatic transmission built for my Subaru. I definitely wanted something with overdrive as it is going to be a street car still. But the prices seem a bit steep. Have you looked at some of the ones in like Summit? Any particular reason why you picked this builder?

RottenRon 04-28-2011 06:33 PM

AO Dominator from PATC,,,, suitable???? reliable?????

Originally Posted by crashtke (Post 10277578)
Ron, I have not. Thankfully I have the pleasure of working with a 17 year Senior Ford Master Tech who specializes in transmissions. I am not sure how good those particular guys are, but the AOD transmission can be made plenty strong. I am currently having a similar automatic transmission built for my Subaru. I definitely wanted something with overdrive as it is going to be a street car still. But the prices seem a bit steep. Have you looked at some of the ones in like Summit? Any particular reason why you picked this builder?

G'day crashtke.
When I put up an earlier post, I was still unsure as to whether I was goin 5 spd manual or 4 spd auto.
Another FTE member suggested I look at the AO Dominator from PATC, so I did.
I had a good look at he description on their web site and it sounded just about right. Then I rang them up and quizzed them on a few things. All good answers so far, so I thought, before I commit, I'd see what sort of reputation they had.
I did a Google search, and found a couple of disgruntled customers, but I realize, they've probably sold heaps of these over the years,and as always, you only ever hear of the bad ones.
I wouldn't have a problem using one of these in something lighter, say up to early F100 size, but this old girl (F350 dually), weighs in at 2.7 ton empty, and 4.5 ton loaded. Then there's it's towing capacity of 3.5 ton to consider as well. That's why I was hoping to hear from someone, who has had experience with one of these AO Dominators in something about the same size.

Good luck with your project.

Cheers, Ron.

C G B 04-28-2011 07:49 PM

Ron, you in Australia? If so the shipping costs may be incredibly high...

As far as the tranny goes, probably fine. I wish I had the coin for a OD tranny for my '65.

crashtke 04-28-2011 10:20 PM

Talked to my transmission guru....he was very wary from his experiences and customers he had that got them in the past that brought them to him to fix em :(

RottenRon 04-29-2011 12:43 AM

Shipping to Oz

Originally Posted by C G B (Post 10278595)
Ron, you in Australia? If so the shipping costs may be incredibly high...

As far as the tranny goes, probably fine. I wish I had the coin for a OD tranny for my '65.

It's not too bad at the moment. I'd really only have to pay for shipping to Long Beach, where a mate of mine regularly ships containers to Australia, and then $300 covers shipping in the container and customs stuff to here in Australia.

With the Auzzie dollar currently at $1.09 U.S., it's a very attractive proposition at the moment.

Cheers.

California Codfish 04-29-2011 10:19 AM

No experience with PATC, but another option you may want to look at us Monster Transmissions. Same thing online- good and bad reviews- but the cost is quite a bit less for comparable stuff.
Rebuilt Transmission - Ford Transmissions - AOD - Monster Transmission and Performance

Let us know how it works out when you do get one in there.