Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Condenser swap, possible? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1061672-condenser-swap-possible.html)

Josed87 04-25-2011 12:25 AM

Condenser swap, possible?

I have 92 f150 5.0, I converted it to r134a. It blows okay, but know it can be better. I can get ahold of a new condenser for a 94 f150. I know this one is for a r134a specific truck. Well it help the ac perform better? And will it mount right up? Thanks in advance

rla2005 04-25-2011 07:57 AM

Yes it will help make your converted system work better. I do know the inlet is a different size from R12 (#8) to R134a (#6). The condenser should mount about the same, no big changes that I am aware of.

When I run into these situations I have a shop nearby that makes custom hoses for anything. I would have them put the correct fitting on my existing hoses.

Josed87 04-25-2011 08:31 AM

Well thats good news. Because I heard the condenser for r12 is whats holding back the r134 from doing a better job. And my hoses are original, so I'm sure the new style hoses will benefit me to. If I just bought the hoses for a 94 truck, those wouldnt match right up? Or it would require changing other parts?

rla2005 04-25-2011 09:08 AM

The lines should hook up to the old compressor. I think Ford stayed with the FS-10 with the R-134a systems for awhile. The new hose assembly should also have a port for the high pressure cutout switch as well. Not a bad idea to add one of those as well. You will need to wire that into the compressor power lead to remove power if the high side pressure gets too high.

You might want to consult with a good parts book before getting too far into this. When I start into projects like this it is nice to find a local supplier so you can verify everything fits to suit your needs.

Josed87 04-25-2011 10:38 AM

So what kind of a shop would do this with the hoses? And if I but the new hoses from a 94 truck what part of the hose would I have to change? I wanna get my info straight before I go ahead and start saving up for this. And would I NEED to add a high pressure switch?

jas88 04-25-2011 11:14 AM

I put a '94 condensor in my '91 F150 for the same reason. The hookup to the manifold hose assy. was the same, but the liquid line was not. I had also bought a liquid line for a '94 for this reason, but the fitting going into the evaporator was too small. So instead of replacing my evaporator with one for a '94, I took the 2 liquid lines (one for '91, one for '94) to a shop here in Austin that makes custom hoses and they mated the 2 together to make a sort of adaptor hose. So the fitting that screws into the condensor is from the '94 and the fitting that snaps into the evaporator core is from the '91.

Makes a big difference at idle with the new condensor, that was where my previous setup was lacking. R134a requires approx. 50% greater condensor area than R12.

rla2005 04-25-2011 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Josed87 (Post 10263063)
So what kind of a shop would do this with the hoses? And if I but the new hoses from a 94 truck what part of the hose would I have to change? I wanna get my info straight before I go ahead and start saving up for this. And would I NEED to add a high pressure switch?

Look for a shop that makes custom hydraulic hoses. That is what I found. They had all the fittings as well as barrier hose when I needed a custom A/C hose for one of our german made Fords several years ago.

Do you NEED a high pressure cutout switch? If I were to use a refrigerant that is known to have higher head pressure than what I was previously using AND the factory installed one when they switched over I certainly would seriously consider it. Will it work without one? Yes it certainly will. With the proper sized condenser your pressures will be more in line with a factory R134a system would be, so you make that choice.

Josed87 04-25-2011 12:24 PM

Jas88- the manifold house assy is the one that cones from the compressor right? And if so did you keep your stock one? Was your ac any colder? And whats shop in austin? I live in san antonio so it would be a short drive to get it done.

Rla2005- would I need to cover up the port so it won't leak freon?

jas88 04-25-2011 01:23 PM

Jas88- the manifold house assy is the one that cones from the compressor right? And if so did you keep your stock one? Was your ac any colder? And whats shop in austin? I live in san antonio so it would be a short drive to get it done.
Yes, the manifold hose assy. connects at the compressor and has one hose that goes over to the accumulator and the other one goes to the condensor. I used the hose assy. I already had, I had changed it to barrier hose when I converted to R134a a few years ago. It's probably for a '94 as well, I don't remember for sure.

A/C is colder at idle. It was always cold when running down the road, but would go up to about 55-60 when idling at a stoplight or drive-thru lane. I knew this was going to happen but did not want to spend the money for the new condensor at the time because I was intending to add an electric fan to compensate. I never did that so when I pulled the 300 out of my truck for a 460, I was gonna have to drain the R134a anyway, so I thought it a good time to get the condensor I should have put on in the first place.

I got my hose done at Austin Rebuilders on Oltorf in South Austin. Ask for Rick.

Josed87 04-25-2011 02:18 PM

I called thats place and they recommended a place in san antonio. But thanks for the reference! When you got the manifold one redone did you go with the mufflers style hoses lie the stock ones? Or did you lose the mufflers? And do you remember about how much this cost you?

jas88 04-25-2011 04:04 PM

The manifold hose assy. I just ordered one for a '94 from Advance Auto Parts. I think it was about $175. You can have it done cheaper than that, tho, I would imagine. I ordered the whole thing because, at the time, I didn't know where to take it, either.

Josed87 04-25-2011 04:55 PM

And did you put a high side pressure switch on the new line? Or just leave it alone? A new one is about 80 bucks. So I might just buy it from them. I'm just worried avout the port for the high side pressure port, im afraid if I dont put one in or do something with it my freon will leak! How do they make a cross between the two lines? Just weld on one piece to another?

jas88 04-26-2011 09:30 AM

And did you put a high side pressure switch on the new line? Or just leave it alone?
Left it alone - I don't have one.

I'm just worried avout the port for the high side pressure port, im afraid if I dont put one in or do something with it my freon will leak! How do they make a cross between the two lines? Just weld on one piece to another?
I am not understanding the question.

Josed87 04-26-2011 09:54 AM

Because on the connection that goes straight to the compressor, isnt the a port to add the high side switch? If so, if you dont add one wont the freon leak out?

And for the second part, you said they crossed the two liquid lines, from your 91 and from the 94, how be did they do it?

jas88 04-26-2011 01:08 PM

Because on the connection that goes straight to the compressor, isnt the a port to add the high side switch? If so, if you dont add one wont the freon leak out?
I guess I don't know what you mean by the "a port". I don't have a place for a high-pressure switch. I don't know what that part of this thread is all about. I have never seen one.

And for the second part, you said they crossed the two liquid lines, from your 91 and from the 94, how be did they do it?
He cut the part off of the 94 line that connects to the condensor and welded it in place of that same part on the 91 line.