Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   What Just Happened? Blew A Fuse..But Why? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1060867-what-just-happened-blew-a-fuse-but-why.html)

big poppa 04-23-2011 03:56 PM

Nice writeup Ken.... My truck did the exact same thing. Glad you figured it out and was back on the road, I had my codereader but my kids took my fuse testers out of my truck so was forced to tow my truck home, not entirely their fault but didn't help matters, I might have figured it out:-arrgh. This site helped me figure out what was going on with much thanks..

dobbinite 08-03-2011 12:45 PM

Lost control of throttle & instrument panel dead

I experienced the same problem described above this morning. My 2002 F350 7.3D was ready to go to work this morning but died in my driveway. Chilton book was no help. Luckly I still had the owner manual to designate the fuses. I could not see any blown fuses obviously. Finally searched the net and found this site and this thread. I went back with an ohmmeter and systematically checked each fuse. #45 (ig sw feed) was blown but hard to see. Replaced the 10A and got're going again. Thanks a million, guys. High Fives for the internet and this blog.

Mick

dobbinite 08-08-2011 11:45 AM

I am reading a lot of posts about this shorted O/D cable problem. I repaired mine with tape a few days ago, but last night it failed one more time again. My question is : if I disconnect the O/D switch for a while to isolate the problem some more, will that just allow the O/D to remain on or will it affect the PCM control of the transmission?

What if you are driving down the interstate with a 2000lb load and this happens ? You lose throttle control, what's going to happen next ? It seems to me this should be a Ford recall issue. Any comments ?

Shake-N-Bake 08-08-2011 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by dobbinite (Post 10672442)
I am reading a lot of posts about this shorted O/D cable problem. I repaired mine with tape a few days ago, but last night it failed one more time again. My question is : if I disconnect the O/D switch for a while to isolate the problem some more, will that just allow the O/D to remain on or will it affect the PCM control of the transmission?

What if you are driving down the interstate with a 2000lb load and this happens ? You lose throttle control, what's going to happen next ? It seems to me this should be a Ford recall issue. Any comments ?

Since the engine stays running when that fuse blows, you should still be able to safely stop on the side of the road....but I agree, should be a recall item in my opinion as well.

You might want to split open the sleeve and inspect the insulation on the individual wires. Chances are that you have bare wires in that sleeve and they are touching each other.

I don't now what will happen if you leave that disconnected. If you decide to try running it that way let us know what happens.

dobbinite 08-17-2011 04:25 PM

cable in shift lever

I unplugged the O/D switch from the steering column connector. The truck runs just as before, except of course you cannot turn off O/D.
I never used that switch much anyway, at least the fuse blowing problem has left. Since repairing the cable did not work, I will just leave it disconnected. A permanent fix will be replacing the shift lever and cable assembly someday.

Shake-N-Bake 08-17-2011 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by dobbinite (Post 10706973)
I unplugged the O/D switch from the steering column connector. The truck runs just as before, except of course you cannot turn off O/D.
I never used that switch much anyway, at least the fuse blowing problem has left. Since repairing the cable did not work, I will just leave it disconnected. A permanent fix will be replacing the shift lever and cable assembly someday.

Should work fine. I replaced the shifter on my white truck last December. The cost was $41.99 from PartsGuyEd. Seemed reasonable for an OEM part.

dobbinite 08-17-2011 05:00 PM

shifter

I looked at PartsGuyEd site, but I can't find this parts under any of their categories. If you have their P/N I will order it.

Thanks, Mick

PaysonPSD 08-17-2011 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by dobbinite (Post 10707108)
I looked at PartsGuyEd site, but I can't find this parts under any of their categories. If you have their P/N I will order it.

Thanks, Mick

Steering column > Housing and components > Gear shift lever

http://www.trademotion.com/schematics/M/ME99630.gif

Edit: Tip - If you can get close click View Illustration and you may find the part.

Shake-N-Bake 08-17-2011 05:51 PM

In Robin's picture above...
  1. Item #1 is the assembly 5C3Z7210AAA (this comes with the button and retainer)
  2. Item #2 is the switch (button) F58Z7G550AA
  3. Item #3 is the retainer for the button F2UZ7A214CA

Hope this helps.
:-drink

PaysonPSD 08-17-2011 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by gchavez (Post 10707313)
In Robin's picture above...
  1. Item #1 is the assembly 5C3Z7210AAA (this comes with the button and retainer)
  2. Item #2 is the switch (button) F58Z7G550AA
  3. Item #3 is the retainer for the button F2UZ7A214CA
Hope this helps.
:-drink

Item #1 comes with #2 & #3, but #2 & #3 can be ordered separately.

Right?

Which items come with egg roll? :D

Shake-N-Bake 08-17-2011 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by PaysonPSD (Post 10707359)
Item #1 comes with #2 & #3, but #2 & #3 can be ordered separately.

Right?...

Correct. :-X22

Originally Posted by PaysonPSD (Post 10707359)
Which items come with egg roll? :D

Ed didn't send me a link for the egg rolls....I think he needs your VIN # for that. :D

I presume you'll be coming for Chicken Quesadillas on Labor Day weekend....no part number required. Just keep me away from your Kool-Aid. :-X21

bigshoe 11-18-2012 02:33 PM

oops! wrong fuse

OK, same problem with overdrive button. i put some tape around it and made it for awhile but had used all my 10 amp fuses. i put a 30 in it just to get back to camp where i had tools and fuses in my 97 f250 turbo diesel. didn't make it. i had a new shifter brought out to me and put it in with new wires but it didn't blow the fuse and now i have same problem with no blown fuse? just wanting to know if i should start at that wire or at the fuse panel??

dobbinite 11-18-2012 04:32 PM

I just disconnected the overdrive switch. Its always in OD in high gear but thats OK works for me. If that does not work, you need to trace the 12v line to the IG sw and run a replacement wire.
Hope you didn't fry the wires in bundle.
Auto Electric shops are good at fixing this kind of problem.

bigshoe 11-18-2012 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by dobbinite (Post 12499358)
I just disconnected the overdrive switch. Its always in OD in high gear but thats OK works for me. If that does not work, you need to trace the 12v line to the IG sw and run a replacement wire.
Hope you didn't fry the wires in bundle.
Auto Electric shops are good at fixing this kind of problem.

I just tried unplugging it and no chamge.you think the wire down from there or start at the fuse box?

bigshoe 11-18-2012 06:17 PM

Thank you,i tried unplugging it, no change.i am blessed enough to have a couple other trucks so not in desperate need.just trying to figure it out.do you think start with the wire and work down or the back of the fuse box?