Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   What Just Happened? Blew A Fuse..But Why? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1060867-what-just-happened-blew-a-fuse-but-why.html)

Mark Wanless 04-21-2011 10:46 PM

What Just Happened? Blew A Fuse..But Why?

Short story but the information might be pertinent...

2000 F350 Crew Cab 7.3 long bed, automatic.

<O:pI arrived at my destination 40 miles from home to find not much parking where I needed to be. I found myself on a street that went nowhere and in an attempt to turn the truck around in a real tight spot I had to do a 7-point maneuver to get going the other direction. When I finally got it turned around I was 30 feet from a spot right in front of the building. How ‘bout THAT? (Never mind the fact it wasn’t a parking spot.)

<O:pI unloaded what I needed to unload then got in the truck to go find a real parking spot. Much to my dismay, I had no power what so ever…..I mean NONE. The truck had started but I had no power. I shut it down and started it back up and that’s when I noticed something dreadfully wrong….I had no gauge movement at all. None of the gauges registered anything when I turned the key on. The truck started fine, but when I pushed the accelerator, nothing, no rise in RPM, nothing. I was able to put it in reverse and idle backward to a better legal parking spot.

<O:pIt sounded like an electrical thing, but what? I looked at the fuses in the fuse box under the steering console and found #19 open. That’s a 10-amp fuse that controls Auxiliary Powertrain Control Module, Instrument Cluster, GEM Module, Overdrive Cancel Switch, Idle Validation Switch, Overhead Console, Diesel PCM via Clutch.

<O:pWell at least I found something, I swapped out a fuse and everything was back to normal….I made it home later that night without incident.

<O:pSo what would have caused the fuse to blow? Retracing my steps, the only thing I can think of to put a load on anything was the repetitive cranking of the steering wheel left and right while trying to turn the truck around. It was literally within half the width of the street, oh and line either side of the truck with cars….Anyway, when I got turned around I was within idle distance to the spot I parked and don’t really know if I “idled” there or had a responsive accelerator. I wasn’t paying attention.

<O:pAny thoughts. I would hate to have this happen again and not be as lucky as to only have a fuse blow.

<O:pThanks again,
<O:pMark<O:p

Shake-N-Bake 04-21-2011 10:52 PM

The wire for your overdrive button shorted on the steering column assembly. You will need to take the cover off, fix the wire and you will be good to go.

woodnthings 04-21-2011 10:54 PM

You more than likely have an issue with you overdrive cancel switch in the shifter. Take a look at the article I put together to help out with this issue.

Transmission Shifter Wire Chafe Repair

tdpower 04-21-2011 11:10 PM

What they said^^

Here are some notes from when I pulled mine off:

Remove the steering tilt by unscrewing it. There is a flat part you can put a crescent wrench on. You have to take off the plactic shroud around the steering column. There are three phillips screws on the bottom housing. The bottom part will drop. You have to take the ignition tumbler out. To do this the key has to be in the run position, then push the little ball bearing on the bottom part of the ignition and it will pull out. Then you can remove the top part of the shroud.

Mark Wanless 04-21-2011 11:17 PM

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I REALLY like this forum!!!!

Thanks everyone!!!!

r/
Mark

Mark Wanless 04-21-2011 11:30 PM

I looked at the PDF....where does the chaffing normally occure? I assume the wire harness in the pictures is one without issues.

r/
Mark

Deluxe06 04-21-2011 11:47 PM

Here check out this thread, post#3 you will be looking for something like that.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...e-problem.html

Mark Wanless 04-22-2011 12:00 AM

Hmmm, I should have spent a little more time doing the search function....

Thanks again,
Mark

Deluxe06 04-22-2011 12:07 AM

Hey no problem that's what we are here for, to help out, good luck

Mark Wanless 04-22-2011 12:12 AM

I REALLY like this place. Other forums I visit waste very little time pointing out the search function to the un-initiated....in a not so pleasant manner....A pitty indeed.

Thanks again,
Mark

tdpower 04-22-2011 12:16 AM

I think it usually rubs on the gearshift shaft in the pic attached. I had to replace mine because the end broke off.:-banghead If you have to order a new one it comes with everything. It comes with wiring, end cap, switch etc..:-X0:) Ed's a good source for parts. A lot cheaper than the dealer. On smaller orders may not be much of a savings if any.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

Ponyboychris 04-22-2011 07:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of my chafed wire. It didn't cause the problem you had but it allowed for my OD not to work.

woodnthings 04-22-2011 09:02 AM

Good information from everyone! I added a couple pictures to the article to help in the future! Link above has been updated.

izzybird 04-23-2011 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by woodnthings (Post 10251760)
Good information from everyone! I added a couple pictures to the article to help in the future! Link above has been updated.

You've got a real nice homepage going there Ken, thanks for taking the time to put it together.

woodnthings 04-23-2011 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by izzybird (Post 10255217)
You've got a real nice homepage going there Ken, thanks for taking the time to put it together.

Thanks! :-drink

I figure with all the information spread across the internet and the forums. I could put together something that is specific to the 7.3L. I always add to it, so if anyone has special requests let me know!