Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Changed drivebelt & air filter now poor low end (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1060603-changed-drivebelt-and-air-filter-now-poor-low-end.html)

Domestic_Nuwbee 04-20-2011 10:30 PM

Changed drivebelt & air filter now poor low end

I just changed my drivebelt and air filter the other day and now my low end sucks big time! shes not sputtering, nor bucking or making any noise on hard acceleration.....just seems sluggish on the low end now.

I had a crappy Fram air filter that I changed to K&N on a stock longtube-box w/ factory ram. And replaced the drivebelt with a Dayco. Belt is AC length as it is bypassed with a idler pulley. And the tension sits within range, jus slightly to the left from middle point.

My truck was running awesome until i changed the above. Anyone help me out with this one?

its a 90 F250, 302 HO with ignition upgrade and 3 degree timing bump.

Thanks,

rla2005 04-20-2011 10:52 PM

I think the issue is unrelated to the service work you performed. As a test pull out the K&N filter then drive the truck for a SHORT distance, if the performance improves you have a problem with that filter. Otherwise there is something else wrong, bad karma/pure coincidence. I would not buy a lottery ticket for the next few days....

Domestic_Nuwbee 04-20-2011 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by rla2005 (Post 10246143)
I think the issue is unrelated to the service work you performed. As a test pull out the K&N filter then drive the truck for a SHORT distance, if the performance improves you have a problem with that filter. Otherwise there is something else wrong, bad karma/pure coincidence. I would not buy a lottery ticket for the next few days....

How did I know you'd be the first to respond?! :-X22 Im going to totally ignore that you said there's something else wrong! Hahaha. So the chances of a "defective" filter are likely and I'm the sucker who ended up with it? Will try that out and see what happens. Thank RLA

joshofalltrades 04-20-2011 11:22 PM

the other common mistake is to have left a hose or wire harness unplugged as you were working on it. go back and check all your connections

rla2005 04-20-2011 11:24 PM

:-X03 Misery loves company. I thought I was the only one born under a dark cloud.

rla2005 04-20-2011 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by joshofalltrades (Post 10246219)
the other common mistake is to have left a hose or wire harness unplugged as you were working on it. go back and check all your connections

Good point

Domestic_Nuwbee 04-21-2011 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by rla2005 (Post 10246226)
Good point

Nothing else gets touched changing the drive belt other than the tensioner.... only thing connected to the air box is the breather off the valve cover.

joshofalltrades 04-21-2011 08:01 PM

Iwork on too many cars, and many of them want you to unplug the maf or other sensors to get the air box open

Domestic_Nuwbee 04-21-2011 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by joshofalltrades (Post 10250040)
Iwork on too many cars, and many of them want you to unplug the maf or other sensors to get the air box open

I hear what your saying, but my motor is SD. Thanks bro

redmondjp 04-22-2011 01:04 AM

Could it be that the old drive belt was slipping so you weren't seeing the full HP load of the accessories, and now the new belt is grippier (george bush would be proud) so something like the alternator is now loading down the engine more?

Just another hypothesis . . .