Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Modular V10 (6.8l) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum49/)
-   -   V10 oil filter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1060393-v10-oil-filter.html)

Country Traveler 04-20-2011 08:12 AM

V10 oil filter

Hi all. I recently bought a 2005 Ford Excursion with V10 engine. The dealer I bought from did an oil change. I also own a 2000 excursion with a V10. I always used Motorcraft FL820S filter on that truck. I looked under the '05 and noticed it has a Purolator Group 7 V2500 filter on it. The filter looked smaller so I looked it up on line and it looks like it does not even go on this truck. Am I missing something? I plan to switch it to the motorcraft. The oil looks good, truck has been running fine as far as I can tell. Any insight? Thanks.

Country Traveler 04-20-2011 10:03 AM

OK. Did some research. The V2500 replaces the bigger V4651 which is the FL820S discontinued equivalent. This V2500 filter is a small looking filter. Not sure if I like it. Any opinions about this. Probably still switching back to the motorcraft but glad it's not the wrong one on there.

dkf 04-20-2011 10:54 AM

Here is the difference between the old (left) new (right) filters.

The internals look the same to me. Looks like they just shortened the outer can by a little. Maybe to save a penny or two on steel, maybe for extra clearence on some newer vehicle. Who knows. I'm not real familer with the Purolator series 7 V2500 however they look like cheapo filters to me. They probably do not have the silicone anti-drainback valve which the modulars require. Th eonly Purolator branded filter I use is there Pure One filter which has more filter media and the silicone anti drainback valve. It also costs a few more dollars than the MC 820S. For that reason I only use the 820S nowadays.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/m...1sizedcopy.jpg

mwsF250 04-20-2011 02:25 PM

Modern materials and engine designs result in very little debris getting into crank case, so a large filter is NOT needed. Back in the days of open crank case vent tubes, valve cover vents and breathers, and crappy air filters, quite a bit of dirt could get in. As well as lots of metal particles from engine wear.

A filter 1/10th this size would probably still be adequate...

Unless you drive only on dirt roads and use K&N air filter and only change oil filter every 50K miles. In that case, you may need bigger.

krewat 04-21-2011 07:34 AM

The Motorocraft filter is manufactured by Purolator. I forget which is which, but I think the "regular" Purolator is the same as the Motorcraft, except that the bypass is in the "dome" instead of the "thread-end" type required by Ford.

However, the filter shouldn't go into bypass until your oil is so full of crud that the media is clogged. At least, that's my feelings on the matter.

I've been running a few different filters in the past 2-3 years. The Fram TG2/XG2, the Motorcraft, and recently I put a Purolator Pure One on. The Purolator One seems to get the best idle oil pressure.

And physically examining the Pure One, compared to the Motorcraft, it looks more ... better? ;) I seem to remember the holes in the base where the oil flows through were bigger on the Pure One than the MC, or something else was different.

It's been said elsewhere that the MC is a Pure One, in a regular Purolator case with the different bypass. I think the Pure One has the MC-type bypass.

It's too early in the morning for this :-X22

Hey, it's time to change my oil again :-X14

05MilMachine 04-23-2011 11:19 PM

our 2010 Mountaineer and my 05 Excursion, and our old 04 Explorer that we sold to the in laws but I still maintain, and his 98 F150 all take the FL820S. I love the simplicity of one filter to rule them all. I keep a stack of them on my shelf. I did run a Wix filter in the Explorer for a while and the drainback valve was not right. It produced noisy startups until I switched back to the MC filter.

My Kawasaki ATV filter was shortened at one point just like the Ford one. The Mazda filter I used for a while suddenly came shorter as well. Seems like a lot of manufacturers are going this route. Price of steel probably....That 2 cent savings on each can adds up quick.

Monster-4 04-24-2011 09:55 AM

I've been using the Purolator PureOne line on all my vehicles the past few years. I researched on Bob Is the Oil Guy for awhile before switching over and they were always up there in their performance.