Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   A/C clutch or bearings? 98 250 5.4 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1059849-a-c-clutch-or-bearings-98-250-5-4-a.html)

leforrest 04-18-2011 11:54 AM

A/C clutch or bearings? 98 250 5.4

Hey guys.

My air conditioning compressor is rattling and grinding. Im trying to determine if I need a whole new unit or just a clutch assy. I can say this, when running it's rattling, but when the clutch engages, it clears up.

Would I be right in assessing it's the clutch?

...or am I better off buying a cheap compressor unit off Ebay? There are some remans on there reasonably priced.

Thanks all!

steve(ill) 04-18-2011 06:54 PM

its the bearing or clutch- magnet clearance setting........ once it locks up the bearing and clearance are gone, only the internal compressor is working.

projectSHO89 04-18-2011 07:43 PM

You'll need a new clutch plate at a minimum...

leforrest 04-18-2011 07:48 PM

Thanks.

Should I just buy a new clutch assy? or just buy another compressor?

steve(ill) 04-18-2011 09:23 PM

clutch assembly would do it.. compare the price to a unit.

leforrest 04-19-2011 04:59 AM

Thank guys. There's a reman on ebay for 89 bux...also a clutch assy for 45 ish. Guess its a toss up. Although for 45bux I wouldn't have to worry aabout coolant loss or recharging....hrm.

projectSHO89 04-19-2011 06:54 AM

Before ordering anything, do the following:

1) Inspect the clutch plate. You'll likely find it has separated.
2) Remove the serpentine belt.
3) Remove the clutch plate.
4) Spin the pulley by hand to see what the condition of the bearings might be.

If the bearings are rough, replace both the pulley and the clutch. USE ONLY A MOTORCRAFT CLUTCH PLATE unless you can easily return the parts . Pulley and bearing are under $100 from forum sponsor Rockauto. Both can be replaced in-vehicle without having to mess with the sealed refrigerant system.

paker 04-19-2011 07:56 AM

It's always a toss-up between the whole compressor-clutch assembly and just the clutch. Mileage of the compressor is a factor.

projectSHO89 04-19-2011 12:27 PM

I don't believe it to be a tossup for most people.

If you're limited in mechanical skills and equipment, a clutch and/or pulley can still be done. Replacing a compressor is out of the league of most DIYers due to specialized equipment and skills that are needed to do it right. If someone has to pay a shop to replace a compressor, you're probably looking at a $500-700 repair.

leforrest 04-19-2011 12:33 PM

Thanks PSHO.

I was referring to more of a toss up financially. Didn't know if I should go the whole compressor replacement route. I think I am going to follow your advice though and look more into the clutch assy to preserve the coolant.

Warbird66 09-25-2013 03:05 PM

can't get ac pulley off

OK, had similar problem with AC grinding. With power on and AC on in cab, I could tell the magnet was not engaging. Got everything off and checked the bearings by spinning the pulley (very wobbly). Now the problem is that I can't get the pulley off (WTFO) - after everyone has indicated that it should just slide off. It seems to be getting hung up on something.

While I've seen some replies that "some well placed screwdrivers" will help pry it off, even that didn't work and I don't want to go too far and ruin the compressor. Any suggestions?? Do I need a pulley remover, and if so, what type will work?

Thanks in advance - Mike