Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Clutch, Transmission, Differential, Axle & Transfer Case (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum69/)
-   -   Help tps problem (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1059219-help-tps-problem.html)

1badshovel 04-15-2011 10:49 PM

Help tps problem

I have a 1994 ford f350 7.5 I replaced the stock tps because of hesitaion problems fixed that but now my tranny is shifting hard in 1st and 2nd revs real high than shifts hard didnt do this until after tps installation I know the adjusting specs but mystock tps and the replacment have standard holes mounts right up how can I calibrate it if the tps doesnt move or have recessed mounting holes any suggestions would be appreciated .

fixnair 04-15-2011 11:19 PM

Thats an IDI engine I think and it has a mechanical injector pump. It needs a vacuum modulator to make the trans shift properly. I think if you play around with the adjustments you will get it to function properly. I don't remember how to make the adjustments. Maybe someone who does know how will chime in. Oh, by the way, welcome to FTE. There is a wealth of information here and the people are the greatest.

1badshovel 04-15-2011 11:32 PM

Thanks for the welcome I do appreciate the help well that makes sense why the tps is a straight forward mount,were would this injector pump be located. Do you think maybe the speed sensor went bad?

Ford_Six 04-16-2011 12:19 AM

7.5, AKA 460, a gas engine not a diesel.
Depending on which transmission you have, you may have a throttle valve cable from the throttle body to the transmission. These had plastic connectors, and are prone to failure. If it was moved beyond it's normal range of motion then it's likely damaged. The vacuum modulator line is also a possibility, again depending on which transmission.

Lazy K 04-16-2011 04:17 AM

Ford Fuel Injection » Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) Here is a link to the settings for the TPS. If necessary you can elongate the holes for adjustment.
The TPS will only affect the trans if you have an E4OD (overdrive trans), if you have a C6 (3 speed no overdrive) then the TPS has no bearing on shift points as they are vacuum controlled.

1badshovel 04-16-2011 04:53 AM

Sorry guys forgot to mention it is a E4OD (OD). I was thinking of elongating the holes on the tps but wasnt sure if it will stay adjusted after tightening I'll give it a try in the morning see what happens. To adjust tps it goes clockwise right? Is there any reason why the new tps didn't come adjustable my factory one is the same as the new one which I bought at Autozone the factory one is none adjustable just curious.

1badshovel 04-17-2011 06:01 PM

tps

Well thanks guys adjusted the tps sensor it was at 1.9 adjusted it to 1.0 had to drill out the mounting holes a little took it for a test drive seems to be shifting perfect now it even seems to have more power you guys are awsome thanks again.