Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   1979 f 150 midas touch (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1058816-1979-f-150-midas-touch.html)

bensonb 04-14-2011 11:10 AM

1979 f 150 midas touch

anyone know about the 1979 midas touch. Bought my old truck back and am going to restore. The truck is a mess.

WHITE ON RICE 04-14-2011 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by bensonb (Post 10220297)
anyone know about the 1979 midas touch. Bought my old truck back and am going to restore. The truck is a mess.

when you said "midas touch" that stupid jingle started going off in my head. But laughs aside only thing i found on them with a short google search is this:

1979 Ford F-100 Shortwide For Sale

maybe give that guy a buzz

Kalve 04-14-2011 12:26 PM

What is a Midas Touch on these trucks? The ad said it had the rare Midas Touch conversion what does that mean?

70 Bronco TX 04-14-2011 01:00 PM

There was a thread about "Midas" several months ago. Something to do with a "modified by Midas" sticker or tag on the truck (door jam?) and speculation as to what it meant. Maybe that's what the seller means.

I don't think anyone ever figured it out. My guess was change to dual exhaust or something.

Here's the earlier thread.

WHITE ON RICE 04-14-2011 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by 70 Bronco TX (Post 10220669)
There was a thread about "Midas" several months ago. Something to do with a "modified by Midas" sticker or tag on the truck (door jam?) and speculation as to what it meant. Maybe that's what the seller means.

I don't think anyone ever figured it out. My guess was change to dual exhaust or something.

an option so rare no one even knows what exactly it means/was thats money right there.

bensonb 04-15-2011 09:12 AM

Elkhart IN

The conversion on the truck was done in Elkhart In for ford. My dearler had it on the show room. You could buy bronco, van truck, courier etc. I have the original brochure from ford. bucket seats, shag caarpet, twin sun roof, rool bar, bed cover special wheels, special paint package.

bensonb 04-15-2011 09:15 AM

bad shape

The truck is in bad shape. Arms rest gone, the center seat in gone, sun roofs won't open, dents ever where..........I have not saw it in 20 years. It was said but I bought it anyway. I bought it in 1980 and sold it about 1989....

bensonb 04-15-2011 09:18 AM

picture

I got the picture on the FTE I think. I'm new to FTE not sure how to move around on the Web site. Click on my name..............

bensonb 04-15-2011 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by bensonb (Post 10223914)
I got the picture on the FTE I think. I'm new to FTE not sure how to move around on the Web site. Click on my name..............

I need some parts. the center seat, sun roofs, I'm looking for the same seat material....................

Benson1979 06-16-2016 09:06 PM

Midas touch ford truck

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...eced02b25d.jpg

Originally Posted by bensonb (Post 10220297)

Almost finished with the restore

NumberDummy 06-16-2016 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by bensonb (Post 10223887)
The conversion on the truck was done in Elkhart In for ford. My dearler had it on the show room. You could buy bronco, van truck, courier etc. I have the original brochure from ford. bucket seats, shag caarpet, twin sun roof, rool bar, bed cover special wheels, special paint package.

Are you sure this was a FoMoCo authorized truck, and not a dealer promotion?

I know that Ford modified some vehicles for certain areas (1968 Mustang California Special for one), usually introduced in the Spring to get people into showrooms.

There's not one specific part listed for these Midas trucks in the 1973/79 Ford truck parts catalog.

Arial Robison 08-07-2019 07:47 PM

1978 Ford F-150 4x4 Midas Edition

My first vehicle was a '78 Ford F-150 4x4 Midas Edition with the round headlights, not the square ones. It was green and yellowish-bluish colors, painted like the one in the picture below, but the colors were much better faded into one another.
It had a "Shelby" labeled steering wheel with 3 spokes. Woodgrain inlay across the dash. The glove box had a chromed badge that said "Custom".
The engine was a naturally aspirated 351M (351 Modified) with automatic transmission. The transfer case was a floor shifted and had 4 High and 4 Low. Hubs had to be manually locked at the wheels. It had two bucket seats and a lockable center console that doubled as a boster seat (when I was too short to see over the dash) and an arm rest for both bucket seats.
Truck was a "short bed, wide body".
I worked with my Dad to keep the old girl running. There was nothing we didn't touch one that truck, from putting in new transmission to new running gears in the 9" pumpkin.
I learned to drive in that truck, starting well before my teenage years, and drove it all through high school. It was a tough, off road beast with 33" mud tires.
We built a custom front bumper/massive grill guard and roll bar for it.
I miss that truck more than anyone could ever understand, not because it was a beautiful and capable truck, or that it was my first vehicle, but because of the time my Dad and I spent in, on, and under it. That is what "Midas Edition" means to me.
If I could find and afford another one, I would be so happy....

Originally Posted by Benson1979 (Post 16362789)