Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   B99 questions (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1058177-b99-questions.html)

deadsenator 04-12-2011 02:07 AM

B99 questions

Hey all.

New bio user here, not a maker, but I have started using B99 since I found a Shell near me selling it. It seems that the other available locations viably close to me also sell B99 and may only be commercial, but I'd hafta call. So, I am stuck with one source for now.

I've run only one tank so far, but have extra filters on-hand just in case I need them. I like the general idea of bio, I like the more organic smell it produces and I like the purported lower emissions, as well. I like nearly everything about it, except that I am paying ~$2/gal more for it. What is the going rate for B99 for everyone else? Will the price fluctuate in parallel and in the same manner as dino-diesel?

Are there any ill effects of running B99 long term (120k miles currently on truck)? From what I've read: no, but just thought I'd ask again if anyone has noticed anything new. I'll be stuffing new Stage 1's in this thing soon and I'll presume that B99 won't have any negative impact there. It's just fuel right? :)

Sorry for the mishmash of questions. Thanks for your help.

DS

binuya 04-12-2011 04:35 PM

The only real 'ill effects' or issues would be:

1.) Cold weather use. It gels much sooner than dino diesel.

2.) Power and MPG reduction. Being less energy dense it has fewer BTU's per gallon so power and MPG are reduced by 8%-12%.

But like you, amongst many other reasons, I make it to do my part in living more sustainably. I like the idea that the biodiesel I make comes from a feedstock which was grown on our soil within the last few years. Not millions of years ago. And, I am utilizing a waste product.

deadsenator 04-12-2011 06:19 PM

Thanks, Alvin. I'm in the Seattle area too, so cold isn't too much of a problem. And I guess it's another reason to upgrade to the Stage 1's to recover the power lost in B99. Honestly, I didn't really notice the power loss too much in the first tank, but the emmpeegeez did suffer somewhat.

The mad scientist in me would love to make it, but there is no room at the Inn!

zhilton 04-14-2011 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by deadsenator (Post 10210339)
I like nearly everything about it, except that I am paying ~$2/gal more for it. What is the going rate for B99 for everyone else?

$2 more a gallon than dino-diesel?:eek: And here I was complaining when I was spending 30-40 cents more for B20 near where I live. Currently there is hardly any bio available around here (one station within 50 miles of home). I don't have time/space to brew my own...or I would have years ago. The only two things I've noticed when burning B20 was I did loose a little bit of mileage (half mile per gallon I think) and the exhaust had a much nicer smell to it. The truck never acted different, and it pulled like it always has in the past. Hopefully I'll be able to find a better place & price for bio soon.