Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   1995 F150 5.8 auto /overdrive tranny problem (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1058059-1995-f150-5-8-auto-overdrive-tranny-problem.html)

theclaus11 04-11-2011 05:19 PM

1995 F150 5.8 auto /overdrive tranny problem

Hello can someone please give me some advise on a problem i am having. I own a 95 f150 with 5.8 and auto w/overdrive tranny. I have noticed when leaving off the accelerator while in gear at all speeds it feels as there is "play" in the transmission. It bangs into gear. If you push on and off of the gas pedal it bangs. there is no slippage or anything. Is it possible some type of minor part can be the cause. there is only 70,000 miles on it.

Lazy K 04-12-2011 06:51 AM

Is the fluid level good? I think I would also check for any trouble codes as it could be a sensor problem.

theclaus11 04-13-2011 05:15 AM

yes fluid is good! what does the tranny solenoid do and where is it located? can this be the problem?

timboslice85 04-13-2011 09:15 AM

Sounds like slack in the rear differential to me. Does it make any whining or roaring noises while you accelerate? Check the universal joints and put the truck in neutral and hit the parking brake. Of course do not have the truck running. Take your hands and turn the drive shaft back and forth to see if there is any play. There should be a little but not much. Maybe a half inch from the stopping point on one side to the stopping point on the other side. Just my $.02

kregalmach1 03-28-2017 08:59 AM

is the off light on the shifter blinking that means theres a code there are 3 or 4 sensors that make this light blink even throtle position sensor is one of these if you hAVE A BOOK TO IT THERE IS A PAGE REGUARDING THESE SENSORS sorry hit caps .lol i just baught thissame truck and im learnig it i dont usually drive autos ill keep in touch and let us know if you figure it out please

kregalmach1 06-13-2017 11:55 AM

bang bang damn tranny

my tranny is still shifting hard but only once in a wile it does this i cant pull code cause as soon as i turn the key off the problem dissapears ive replace tps and also the speed sensor in the rear end what the hell is going on here even replaced the tranny since first on blew the front seal and i had to drive it as far as i could so wjat up fellas is it in the dash cluster some how

rla2005 06-13-2017 04:45 PM

If the Check Engine Light (CEL) came on that means the code is stored in Continuous Memory. So regardless if you shut the truck off the code can be retrieved.

kregalmach1 06-14-2017 04:16 AM

tranny shifting hard still

there is no check engine light just the off light blinks check engine light doesnt come on and it doesnt tell me nuttin the off light is the overdrive button i can stop and put it in park and shut truck off and it will reset it and be good for a wile or it wont reset it and some times it shifts hard and i keep driveing it and it will fix its self and light goes out hummmmmmmmmmmmmm pretty fed up with it

My4Fordtrucks 06-14-2017 07:11 AM

If the overdrive cancel light is blinking there there are faults in the system it would be easier to read your posts if you used punctuation since it is a giant run on sentence

kregalmach1 06-14-2017 07:36 AM

i appoligize . i do realize there are faults in the system . tis why the blinking light . ive replaced the speed sensor in the rear. and the tps sensor what is next

HardScrabble 06-14-2017 09:58 AM

Get the codes. There are troubleshooting charts based on the codes. The charts tell you what to do. Someone here has the charts. Get the codes.

If you keep driving the truck it will self-destruct. Shotgunning it with your best guesses will waste time and money.

If your luck is that good, go buy a lottery ticket and buy a new truck with your winnings.

kregalmach1 06-14-2017 10:37 AM

alow me to specifi. there are no codes.... the check engine light is not and does not come on... i have 2 different scan tools includeing the acual ford obd1 reader and my good expensive scan tool does not come up with codes either... when i drive down the road its fine. i come to a stop and start again it will start shifting extremly hard ... this only happens every couple of weeks... some times i can stop put it in park shut the truck off wait 3 min thwen start it and go and it will be fine ... other time not ... but if i park it and let it sit a few hours then it will be fine again shifts so nice you cant feel it shift.... this is the second tranny i put in the truck ... i did put tps sensor in it and also rear end speed sensor ... as ive restored this truck and wanted them to be new anyway at a cost of about 40 bucks and an hour of my time... i am mechanically inclined .. but at the end of my ropes .. there for im asking on here . again no check engine light ever comes on... only the over drive OFF LIGHT BLINKS ... TILL I SHUT THE TRUCK OFF . THANKS FOR REPLIES PLEASE KEEP THINKING AND OFFERING SUGGESTIONS OOPS GUESS I HIT THE CAPS BUTTON.. SORRY ...

Mark Kovalsky 06-14-2017 10:54 AM

When the OD OFF light flashes codes are stored in continuous memory to tell you what's wrong. Without the codes all anyone can do is guess.

It could be the Transmission Range Sensor (also called the MLPS,) the torque converter, the transmission itself, a stuck valve in the valve body, a stuck valve in the pump body, a bad torque converter control solenoid, a faulty shift solenoid (there are three of those,) a faulty Electronic Pressure Control Solenoid, a faulty trans temp sensor, a faulty internal harness, a faulty harness between the PCM and the trans, corrosion in any of the connectors on the trans or rear end, or even a few of the engine sensors.

I also suspect that you don't have power to the Keep Alive Power pin of the EEC connector. Without this power the PCM will erase the codes each time the key is turned off.

kregalmach1 06-14-2017 11:23 AM

okay now were getting somewhere . thanks so much. i did just remember that when i get to 65 mph the speedometer jumps from 65 to 75 then quits when i get back to 60mph does this tell you anything. and the keep alive power pin should it have power even when the key is off. and would this pin be the sepperate pin on the obd1 harness . and i will definitly check on those shift cylinoids .o and where is the trans temp sensor? it does seem to me that its always after i run it more than an hour or like yesterday it was nearly 100 degrees out and it started shifting hard just after i started running it ..thanks again.

Mark Kovalsky 06-14-2017 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by kregalmach1 (Post 17260103)
i did just remember that when i get to 65 mph the speedometer jumps from 65 to 75 then quits when i get back to 60mph does this tell you anything.

Yes, it tells me that I should add a bad PSOM (located on the back of the instrument cluster) to the list of things that might be causing the problem.

and the keep alive power pin should it have power even when the key is off. and would this pin be the sepperate pin on the obd1 harness .

Having power when the key is off is the entire reason this circuit exists. As I remember it (it's been 30 years since I worked on an OBDI!) Keep alive power is located at pin #1 at the PCM.

and i will definitly check on those shift cylinoids .o and where is the trans temp sensor?

The trans temp sensor is part of the solenoid body, which is also where the shift solenoids are located.