Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   FE & FT Big Block V8 (332, 352, 360, 390, 406, 410, 427, 428) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum51/)
-   -   FE engine with 392 chrysler hemi heads??? :) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1057511-fe-engine-with-392-chrysler-hemi-heads.html)

jchamp429 04-09-2011 09:07 PM

FE engine with 392 chrysler hemi heads??? :)

So been doing some research and came across some references to Micky Thompson building some FE engines in the 60's with hemi heads based on the Chrysler 392 hemi design. One of the articles mentioned that the 392 hemi and the FE have almost identical bore spacing and head bolt pattern. The only thing that doesn't line up too well is the water jackets from what I read. Obviously valve train geometry would need some major modification to work, but has anyone heard of someone taking the 392 hemi heads and making them work with the FE block?

DeepRoots 04-09-2011 09:13 PM

Mickey Thompson's 427 Ford/Hemi Engine - Hot Rod Magazine

seems like it is based on it. Custom poured.
Fascinating.

Drew

jchamp429 04-09-2011 09:26 PM

Ya, very thought provoking :) It gets those little gears in my head turning and gets me thinking what if :) I wonder what kind of improvements could be seen over the edelbrocks and blue thunders.

krewat 04-10-2011 10:03 AM

"Based on" as in they cut up a 392 head and used the pieces for a mold ;)

jchamp429 04-10-2011 02:11 PM

This is looking even more and more appealing since you can get a pair of those hemi heads all rebuilt for just under $1000. Although I do see the reference to the coolant flow modifications needed seeing as the bottom of the heads look like swiss cheese. Theoretically couldn't you drill and tap the block and head to run external lines to reroute coolant and oil to where it needs to go? As long as you don't weaken the casting of coarse :-fire

RapidRuss 04-11-2011 08:59 AM

The only thing those heads had in common with the Chrysler Hemi heads were a slight reference to the intake rocker arms/or exhaust ? dont remember..and the valve covers..the rest was a custom design by Mickey, and the bolt hole and water passages, and oilers were all in a different location...

Plus I have never seen a rebuilt set of 392 hemi heads for $1000 ? hell i know where I can get a 392 shortblock that needs a rebuild for $1500...anbd hell if I could get the heads ready to run for $1K..I'd be on that like stink on a s**t... and stuff it into Our Mustang !

Not flaming anyone..as I knew Mickey on a personal level , and had even been to his house back in the late 70's when I was a Machinist for Garrett Air Research, and he needed a couple of our turbo's like yesterday..I ran them up to his house on my lunch break... Mickey was a real good fab man as well as Danny is..But they never cut up and welded Chysler hemi heads to fit an FE... He got the Idea from just looking how they were made an incorporated what he could for one of his early motors..

jchamp429 04-11-2011 05:34 PM

Here's the link to the set of rebuilt heads for $985.

PAW Engine Parts - Early Chrysler Hemi 392 Cylinder Heads Pair

I just thought it would be a cool conversion, something out of the ordinary, kinda the same idea as putting the mach 1 mustang 4.6 head on the bmw m10 four banger block. Lots of modifying needed but cool idea, I like the idea of people looking at a motor and scratching there heads going 'what is that and how in the h**l did you do it's :)

RapidRuss 04-12-2011 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by jchamp429 (Post 10208898)
Here's the link to the set of rebuilt heads for $985.

PAW Engine Parts - Early Chrysler Hemi 392 Cylinder Heads Pair

I just thought it would be a cool conversion, something out of the ordinary, kinda the same idea as putting the mach 1 mustang 4.6 head on the bmw m10 four banger block. Lots of modifying needed but cool idea, I like the idea of people looking at a motor and scratching there heads going 'what is that and how in the h**l did you do it's :)

Well altho that is a good price on a set of stock rebuilt 392 heads..there would be alot of work to go into them to make them a performance head..and i have to admit I havent ever seen a pair go that cheap before..I think we got $1500 for a set that my uncle had, and they needed to be rebuilt..but they were never milled or hacked on either..and the guy was happy to pay what I asked for them.. But yeah I have always been a firm believer in standing out from the crowd, as long as it wasnt budget busting ! :):-drink