Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum128/)
-   -   E350 prewired for trailer brake controller? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1056423-e350-prewired-for-trailer-brake-controller.html)

CougarXR02 05-31-2013 09:36 PM

It just prys out carefully with a trim tool common screwdriver. Just be gentle.

Also, go to etrailer.com and watch the video for the brake controller install on the 2012 E-350. It's perfect.

https://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-...van-90885.aspx

This applies to 2009 and up. If you didn't get the tow prep package with the trailer light connector on the rear then your brake harness from the factory has no power to it, and there is no wire to the rear.

lwertley 07-08-2013 08:18 PM

2010 e350 brake control

I found my control connection attached to the coin holder. The dash plate popped out from the front with a screw driver. I plugged my controller in using an adaptor I purchased from ETrailer code # 3034-P for $16.

Now I need to find the blue wire on the outside of the van... anyone find it? Thanks.

Lew

CougarXR02 07-08-2013 10:54 PM

Did your van come with the factory tow prep package?

If it did not, there is no blue wire going to the rear. There also isnt power going to that TBC harness at the coin holder. There is only the Brake On Off (BOO switch) signal and a good ground that is live at that harness.

Kenn Monroe 03-08-2014 09:08 PM

trailer wiring

Ok I just bought the 2010 E350 !2 Passenger van and I need to wire for pulling a trailer and my camper. It did not come with the tow package so I am kind of lost. Local Ford dealer sold me the $130.00 wiring harness but it came with the brake controller plug on it. The van doesn't have this plug on the back of it, so even the 4 way plug won't work let only a 7 blade. Do they sell a harness that goes from the back of the van up for the brake controller or will I need to hardwire it?

carrfamilynj 03-09-2014 07:48 AM

Watch this video, should answer your questions.

http://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-brake-controller-2012-ford-van-90885.aspx

Originally Posted by Kenn Monroe (Post 14145770)
Ok I just bought the 2010 E350 !2 Passenger van and I need to wire for pulling a trailer and my camper. It did not come with the tow package so I am kind of lost. Local Ford dealer sold me the $130.00 wiring harness but it came with the brake controller plug on it. The van doesn't have this plug on the back of it, so even the 4 way plug won't work let only a 7 blade. Do they sell a harness that goes from the back of the van up for the brake controller or will I need to hardwire it?

Ourmerc 03-31-2014 05:22 AM

I have the same ? .2008 E350 just was wondring if the whole vechile is plug and play for brake contrioller and seven pin trailer connector. Thankyou in advance. Bob

Kenn Monroe 03-31-2014 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Ourmerc (Post 14216502)
I have the same ? .2008 E350 just was wondring if the whole vechile is plug and play for brake contrioller and seven pin trailer connector. Thankyou in advance. Bob

After buying the wiring harness from Ford and still not working I ended up taking mine to Uhaul and just had them hard wire everything in. I ended up purchasing brake controller, 7blade 4pin wiring connection and it ended up cheaper than buying the harness from Ford. Just returned the harness to Ford and haven't had any problems. :-drink

koconut 05-23-2015 11:10 AM

My 2003 e-350 plug is in but my brake controller isn'the coming on!

Do I need to put in a relay under the hood? If so where? Thanks.

workvan5329 09-08-2015 10:19 AM

OEM brake controller?

Adding to this continuing thread with a question and some info -

Can I use an OEM trailer brake controller and install in-dash? I realized I may have to flash computer to recognize it is there. With no factory tow package, I do have the trailer light harness next to the spare tire, so I'll need to bring charge, reverse and brake control from C110 connector (by brake pedal) back to rear trailer connector.

I like the idea of the truck knowing the trailer is there, and changing the truck braking protocol to compensate.

Also, that round connector plugged into the rubber block by the spare tire is NOT related to the trailer wiring, it is a relay for the fuel system. Unplug the harness from the rubber block and your truck will not start.

If my basic cargo van has the trailer light harness at the spare tire (mounted above the fuel relay), I figure every van has it. Use ford part 118260:

Draw-Tite 118260 - Wiring Harness | O'Reilly Auto Parts

It is a 4-pin connector that brings the brake/turn/running lights to the bumper. I originally installed the curt t-style trailer light 4-pin connector, which ties into each taillight, but the wires were exposed and chafed on sheet metal so the underbody option is much better.

gapman789 05-13-2017 05:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So, I have an '07 E250 van. It has the the factory 4 pin plug at the back of the van.

I recently put the tekonsha P3 brake controller on my '02 Excursion.
Part # 90195 for the controller and # 3035-P for the harness that connects the brake controller to the pre-wired factory harness.

My '07 Van uses the same brake controller and harness as the one for my excursion.

The question is, the van only has the 4 pin connector for a trailer at the rear bumper...can i use a 4 into 7 pin converter/adapter without doing any extra wiring?

The trailer is just a '16 ft enclosed with tandem axles and brakes on both axles.

Here's the 4 to 7 pin adapter im referencing...

Sam I Am 05-13-2017 11:31 PM

Yes, you can do that for lights but you won't have trailer brakes.
If you want full 7 pin functionality you will need to run all the rest of the wires.
But the one in your picture is a 7 to 4 pin, the opposite of what you need if your vehicle already has a 4 pin.

Not every van has the full 7 pin harness all the way back. Some stop at the bolt-together connector next to the left exhaust manifold, some go through that and have the connector next to the spare tire area but not the next segment past that out to the bumper.

too many trucks 06-21-2017 12:11 PM

->sam I am
if it terminates at the bolt together by the exhaust is the blue and black wire pretty safe to cut and wire for this?*I am really hesitant to begin splicing wires unless I am sure it is the correct ones?

*Not even sure it it has a blue and black wire, really dusty and dirty, but it did have the plug for the brake controller so I assume their should be partially installed wires that terminate somewhere.

2003 ford econonline 150 chateau

Sam I Am 06-22-2017 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by too many trucks (Post 17275680)
->sam I am
if it terminates at the bolt together by the exhaust is the blue and black wire pretty safe to cut and wire for this?*I am really hesitant to begin splicing wires unless I am sure it is the correct ones?

*Not even sure it it has a blue and black wire, really dusty and dirty, but it did have the plug for the brake controller so I assume their should be partially installed wires that terminate somewhere.

2003 ford econonline 150 chateau

I wouldn't cut anything without testing it first. Make sure you find the CORRECT wires. And make sure the relays and fuses for the trailer lights and brakes are all installed.
But yes, it is easiest to bypass that connector and splice into those wires ahead of it if your van was not originally equipped with the full trailer brake harness.

2johnsmith 07-20-2017 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Sam I Am (Post 17188816)
Yes, you can do that for lights but you won't have trailer brakes.
If you want full 7 pin functionality you will need to run all the rest of the wires.
But the one in your picture is a 7 to 4 pin, the opposite of what you need if your vehicle already has a 4 pin.

Not every van has the full 7 pin harness all the way back. Some stop at the bolt-together connector next to the left exhaust manifold, some go through that and have the connector next to the spare tire area but not the next segment past that out to the bumper.

My van did not come with the Heavy Duty (7 pin) tow package but I have almost converted it. I purchased the harness from the axle to bumper and replaced the harness from bolt together junction box by the drivers side exhaust manifold. I now have the brakes, turn, running lights but the reverse on the 7 pin does not get power! What else needs to be hooked up?

Sam I Am 07-20-2017 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by 2johnsmith (Post 17341380)
My van did not come with the Heavy Duty (7 pin) tow package but I have almost converted it. I purchased the harness from the axle to bumper and replaced the harness from bolt together junction box by the drivers side exhaust manifold. I now have the brakes, turn, running lights but the reverse on the 7 pin does not get power! What else needs to be hooked up?

There is a relay for that in the battery junction box that yours may not have. Make sure "C" is populated with the correct relay.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...66fc68a3a2.gif