Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum128/)
-   -   E350 prewired for trailer brake controller? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1056423-e350-prewired-for-trailer-brake-controller.html)

86scotty 08-15-2011 12:16 AM

pm killer rc, but i think he answered your question 4 or 5 up. good luck, mine's older so i don't know.

Killer RC 08-23-2011 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by TexsDream77 (Post 10602782)
I know this is old. But, the Ford Parts guy is WRONG. All the E vans from 2009-current are the same. They are all wired for the trailer brake controller. There is a plug and play harness available for it from Reese/DRawtite/Teconsha/etc. It's the same harness used in the 2008+ Superduty.

In the van..... the plug is located in the center of the dash above the stereo. Mine was clipped into the back side of the coin holder. I had to take the dash apart to get to it. But, it was there. I plugged in my brake controller and it worked with no modifications or adding fuses requred. I tried to get the local Ford Dealers to order the "Ford" brake control parts, and they said that they could not find the part #s without a vin from an E series van that actaully had the controller in it. And since no Ford Dealers around here had one in stock, I had to install an aftermarket brake controller.

The person who found thiers in the kick panel has an older van. This location I speak of above is for 2009_+ E Series VANS only. In the Superduty pickups the plug is located on the back side of the dash where the factory brake controller WOULD have been.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Thanks for the info. I found this vid which shows the same plug.

Trailer Brake Controller Installation - 2008 Ford F250 Super Duty - etrailer.com - YouTube

Killer RC 08-23-2011 08:43 AM

Brake Controller Wiring Adapter for Pre-Wired 2008 - 2009 Ford Super Duty Vehicles Draw-Tite Brake Controller 20270

carrfamilynj 08-23-2011 07:44 PM

On my '08 the controller plug is sitting behind the e-brake pedal. It's a female 4 or 5 pin plug that the adapter plug shown above connects to. The factory four wire plug is attached to the top of the left rear frame rail next to the spare tire. I just cut off the factory plug and ran from there. For the brake, 12v and reverse lights you'll need to tap into the harness from the brake controller under the van up near the firewall. There's a post on here somewhere that details how to do this.

Killer RC 08-23-2011 10:39 PM

In '09 they changed the dash and location of the brake controller wiring.

DJandAmy 07-21-2012 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Killer RC (Post 10731177)
In '09 they changed the dash and location of the brake controller wiring.

So did you end up setting up your Van for towing? My husband and I are trying to find what to do with this? Did you come across it?

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-U...-23-15_736.jpg

It has 7 wires going to it and is located by the spare tire. For us to use this (if this is what we are to plug into) it needs to be extended back about 3 feet to the bumper.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Amy

SilverE350 07-21-2012 10:54 AM

If that is a trailer plug/ wiring, it will have the following colors: black & brown ( tail & marker) yellow & green. (L&R signal) red (brake) white (ground) blue (power). You can ask Ford for a harness or just hard wire it to a generic plug. The Ford kit likely comes with a replay for the charging circuit or you can just use an in line relay.

You may try PM' ing Killer RC, he hadn't been around here for a while.

DJandAmy 07-21-2012 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by TexsDream77 (Post 10602782)
I know this is old. But, the Ford Parts guy is WRONG. All the E vans from 2009-current are the same. They are all wired for the trailer brake controller. There is a plug and play harness available for it from Reese/DRawtite/Teconsha/etc. It's the same harness used in the 2008+ Superduty.

In the van..... the plug is located in the center of the dash above the stereo. Mine was clipped into the back side of the coin holder. I had to take the dash apart to get to it. But, it was there. I plugged in my brake controller and it worked with no modifications or adding fuses requred. I tried to get the local Ford Dealers to order the "Ford" brake control parts, and they said that they could not find the part #s without a vin from an E series van that actaully had the controller in it. And since no Ford Dealers around here had one in stock, I had to install an aftermarket brake controller.

The person who found thiers in the kick panel has an older van. This location I speak of above is for 2009_+ E Series VANS only. In the Superduty pickups the plug is located on the back side of the dash where the factory brake controller WOULD have been.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Maybe you can help me with this. I found what I think is a 7 way connector but it terminates at the spare tire. Can you confirm? https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-U...-23-15_736.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-k...-23-27_751.jpg

blageurt 07-21-2012 11:52 AM

I would go to the dealer and get the Wiring Diagram printed out for the trailer connector and go from there .....Then you can but Kits that plug directly into the Factory Harness...... Truck Parts & Truck Accessories Lookup - actioncarandtruck.com
Adapters Wiring | etrailer.com

SilverE350 07-21-2012 12:01 PM

The color of the wires going into the plug will answer your question. Wire colors don't usually change and the colors I posted are standard across all applications. Peel back the black plastic wire shield and you'll see.

larrysedl 07-29-2012 09:16 AM

brake control

New here;
I have a 2011 E350 XLT. I found the wiring behind the coin bin just like TexsDream77 said. I plugged this harness into it.
2Fwww.etrailer.com%2FBrake-Controller%2FDraw-Tite%2F20270.html
It is flat not round
The white ground wire is good.
The red brake wire is good
The black 12v wire is not hot.
I know the blue wire contects to the blue on the controller, but where does it come out in the rear of the van?
How do I make the black wire hot?

jmhoying 07-31-2012 02:27 PM

On my 2008 E-350, the wiring for the controller was there, but only the wires for a flat-4 trailer connector were at the back of the van. With the help of some people on this list, I found that the wires terminated at a large connector/junction under the van, below the dash on the drivers side. There are probably 20 or more wires in that group, but the outside corner wires are the ones that you need for a 7 pin trailer connector. (brake, constant 12v, reverse) On my 2008, the relay in the fuse box for the 12v line had to be installed (purchased at Advance Auto)

Jack

CougarXR02 09-10-2012 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by jmhoying (Post 12119451)
On my 2008 E-350, the wiring for the controller was there, but only the wires for a flat-4 trailer connector were at the back of the van. With the help of some people on this list, I found that the wires terminated at a large connector/junction under the van, below the dash on the drivers side. There are probably 20 or more wires in that group, but the outside corner wires are the ones that you need for a 7 pin trailer connector. (brake, constant 12v, reverse) On my 2008, the relay in the fuse box for the 12v line had to be installed (purchased at Advance Auto)

Jack

Do you happen to remember the wire colors of the outside corner wires we need?

Chickenstrip 03-30-2013 03:34 PM

A pic of the Brake connector in a 2008 E350...

1 Attachment(s)
I know this thread is a bit stale but it took me forever to find the connector even with my friend google and this forum. This pic might help the next hunter...

It is tucked neatly behind the bracket, use the fuse panel for reference and put your ear on the brake pedal to see it.

You do not need to remove any panels or covers to get to it.

Attachment 230044

cdclar 05-30-2013 12:38 AM

E450 2011 - Thanks everyone! finally felt it up behind the coin bin. Only problem is... how do you remove the coin bin??? please help asap. we are heading out this weekend.