Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Straight pipes = awesome (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1055794-straight-pipes-awesome.html)

nitro3421 04-03-2011 08:25 PM

Straight pipes = awesome

It started out as a way to potentially see some more MPG's with these horrible diesel prices and turned into a fun little project. It's a completely bolt on setup so that I can put the muffler on ever 2 years for kalifornia smog. I just ran an elbow/straight shot out in front of the rear tire.

My truck doesn't have catylitic converters from the factory and I have a 6637 intake so that helps the sound too. Other than that, it's all stock. I'll report back on MPG's but any improvement will be killed by the constant acceleration and wow effect at the exhaust symphony.

It's pretty loud with the windows down but it's not too droney on they highway when the windows are rolled up. If you've considered this cheap mod, I would highly recommend it!

Here are a few videos:

-Normal acceleration:
YouTube - 2000 F250 Straight Pipes no muffler/catalytic converter, with 6637 intake.

-A little more throttle:
YouTube - 2000 F250 Straight Pipes no muffler/catalytic converter, with 6637 intake.
YouTube - IMG 2514

My attempt at a stockish looking tip:

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/p...8/IMG_2516.jpg

snakedoc 04-03-2011 08:55 PM

love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
how did you make it. i was thinking of doing a straight pipe, but leave it out the back

Pro DIY 04-03-2011 09:00 PM

getting ready to do the same thing to my '99. Where did you get the exhaust tip? Do you have any pictures of underneath? Can't wait to do mine.

homesteader 04-03-2011 09:08 PM

Awsome vids but I didn't here the one with the hammer down.LOL

remhaust 04-03-2011 10:31 PM

I have 03 now with no cat and no muffler. sounds perfect, not to loud bet will when u get after it hard. Just cut the two out and replace with a piece of pipe.If u have a welder cost for me was $45 for 6' of pipe, $120 if shop did it

nitro3421 04-03-2011 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by snakedoc (Post 10177140)
love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
how did you make it. i was thinking of doing a straight pipe, but leave it out the back

The stock exhaust is clamped just forward (towards the cab) of the muffler. I just unclamped it and took everything off to the rear of it. This included a bit of straight pipe, the muffler, then a curved piece that's bent over the rear axle.

I didnt want to cut into my stock system so I just took everything that was welded after the clamp off. I did need to remove the spare tire and jack up the truck to get out this curved section/muffler over the axle all in one piece. This way I could simply put the new 90 degree elbow and new straight section on and reattach the stock section when it comes time to smog. I attached everything with strap clamps and a ghetto hanger I made of twisted wire.

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/p...8/photo3-3.jpg

nitro3421 04-03-2011 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Pro DIY (Post 10177169)
getting ready to do the same thing to my '99. Where did you get the exhaust tip? Do you have any pictures of underneath? Can't wait to do mine.

I actually made the tip myself in about 10 minutes. I sawzalled about 2/3 of the pipe at a 45 degree angle and left part of it, just like the stock tip. I cleaned it up with an angle grinder.

sledheadm7 04-03-2011 11:37 PM

i have the same kinda set up and i love it except mine is 4" strait off the turbo

very loud but i love it

JonathanN 04-04-2011 08:06 AM

Yup, that's always fun! I've got a 4" like the last post... it's loud and it drones, but I love it! I do wanna insulate the whole interior of my truck one of these days, though.

MoparBill 04-04-2011 08:51 AM

I have an early 99 I gutted the cat on my own and took it to a shop and they charged me $40 to cut the muffler out, I left the stock tail pipe & exit. Definitely a power and mileage improvement not to mention it just sounds better. I seem to be riding around with the windows down whenever its nice out just to hear it.

nitro3421 04-04-2011 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by MoparBill (Post 10178611)
I have an early 99 I gutted the cat on my own and took it to a shop and they charged me $40 to cut the muffler out, I left the stock tail pipe & exit. Definitely a power and mileage improvement not to mention it just sounds better. I seem to be riding around with the windows down whenever its nice out just to hear it.

What kind of mileage increase did you see?

danskool 04-04-2011 10:32 AM

I liked the straight pipe, for a couple months. Then it started to drive me nuts. Howling through camp grounds and the turbo whistle was insane. It didn't tickle my fancy and i thought it made it sound kinda of junky.

I put on one of these. Pass through, No restriction. The noise level is somplace in between stock and straight piped. With this on yours it would push your tail pipe closer to the rear wheel. If the noise level starts to bug you, Here is an option that looks like it could fit in with your setup. Dynomax Performance 24216 - Dynomax Race Bullet Mufflers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Now, Stacks, they sound sweet !.

nitro3421 04-04-2011 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by danskool (Post 10179008)
I liked the straight pipe, for a couple months. Then it started to drive me nuts. Howling through camp grounds and the turbo whistle was insane. It didn't tickle my fancy and i thought it made it sound kinda of junky.

I put on one of these. Pass through, No restriction. The noise level is somplace in between stock and straight piped. With this on yours it would push your tail pipe closer to the rear wheel. If the noise level starts to bug you, Here is an option that looks like it could fit in with your setup. Dynomax Performance 24216 - Dynomax Race Bullet Mufflers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Now, Stacks, they sound sweet !.

I just might do this. There are certainly a number of situations when this setup is just too loud. Thanks for the link - looks like a great middle ground and is very affordable.

A/Ox4 05-06-2011 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by nitro3421 (Post 10179022)
I just might do this. There are certainly a number of situations when this setup is just too loud. Thanks for the link - looks like a great middle ground and is very affordable.

What did you decide on that little muffler? I'm thinking I might do that. I dont want my truck too loud, but would like the improvements of not having a muffler.

I also see you have a toyo land cruiser. Just sold my 1991 FJ80 with 301k on the clock. running strong!:-jammin

WA_PSD 05-07-2011 08:13 AM

I have 4" turbo back with a magna flow and it sounds good. I thought about straight pipe but am leaning torwards keeping it on now. I too think it would get old after a while, but sound great at first. I'm 42 so i'm kinda old too though:-X03 If I was 22 I would have that thing ripped off so fast your head would spin!:-jammin