Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   junkyard motor, what should i pay? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1055316-junkyard-motor-what-should-i-pay.html)

nstueve 04-08-2011 09:58 AM

he's working with a EFI motor... Patman, you'll need to make a metal plate and gasket to seal the fuel pump hole in that 79 block.

Kapusta 04-08-2011 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by nstueve (Post 10196168)
he's working with a EFI motor... Patman, you'll need to make a metal plate and gasket to seal the fuel pump hole in that 79 block.

Or he can just keep the old fuel pump on the block and just leave it disconnected.}>

nstueve 04-08-2011 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Kapusta (Post 10196388)
Or he can just keep the old fuel pump on the block and just leave it disconnected.}>

I try my best to NOT make my engine compartment look like it's been cobbled out of 6 different motors... No offense ;) It would only take me 20 mins a piece of metal and a hand held angle grinder to make a fashionable plate to cover the fuel pump hole. You could even spend another 2-3 mins priming and painting it!

Also Patman... If you want under you hood to look as good as it will run... Spend the cash on some good high heat engine paint and do a good job painting it. The EFI I6's stll leave plenty of head and block exposed to be seen... If it was a 351w or 460 I'd say forget it because you'll never see the block.

onlya4.9 04-08-2011 01:43 PM

if anyone in michigan is looking for a efi 300, i can tell you where my old truck is (sitting in a junk yard) around here. it ran awesome, and the tranny was good too. didnt leak a drip of anything, didnt burn oil. 211k miles. 1 owner. lol. ill ask and see how much they want for it next time im there.

patman247 04-08-2011 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by nstueve (Post 10196036)
you sure you need a rebuild... I hate to ask since you already have a motor lined up but these 4.9's run to 300K easy if they are taken care of. The 300 I am work on now is a replacement to a severly neglected 300 I6 that ran to 358K!

well i dont NEED it, but heres the story

firts of all i have been wanting to do a rebuild on this motor since the day i bought the truck, and beyond that, i currently have a burnt intake valve, still runs but like crap!!!!!!!(basically just enough to get me from a to b) and i would love to rebuild the motor thats in there now but the thing is the truck is my only form of transportation and i cant afford to be without it for more than 2 days, so the plan is get this one all ready to go, and do the swap in a weekend with a buddy of mine.

ps: ive decided im going to do a carb conversion while im at it

75Three90 04-09-2011 03:54 AM

smart man i just sold my truck today DIRT CHEAP so i could buy another means of transportation but when my 1979 hits the road watch out cause the BOSS is comming through.

patman247 04-09-2011 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by 75Three90 (Post 10199257)
smart man

because im avoiding taking my vehicle out of comission or because im doing a carb conversion?

joshofalltrades 04-11-2011 06:21 PM

for the carb conversion, make sure you have a working understanding of all things fuel and electrical, especially since youre trying to do it all in one weekend! in a carb truck i can have one engine out and another in in an afternoon, having done it a few times. however, changing the whole fuel and ignition systems may not be totally practical for a weekend where you need the truck on monday morning

patman247 04-11-2011 08:05 PM

Well my wrenching buddy/roommate has a great understanding of all that stuff and if it doesn't happen in the weekend he has two vehicles and will let me borrow one til I can get her running

nstueve 04-14-2011 09:33 AM

oh gosh here we go... I can see the carb vs EFI conversation coming already... Here's the deal...

You had better not be putting a Carter single barrel and log manifold on that engine or you will starve the outside cylinders of fuel and air. If you want a carb truck the only way you are going to make the same amount of power is if you have a aftermarket intake and a 4bbl carb for it... A cam swap and P&P work on the head wouldn't hurt either... The stock EFI setup you have actually makes 20 ft/lbs more torque than the old Carter single barrel and 43 more horse power.

All I am saying is your gonna have to spend some $$$ to catch the HP and TQ back up on a Carb setup. Plus you'll probably need to change all your fuel pumps or delete them since there will be too much fuel pressure going to the carb from the EFI fuel pumps. Not to mention you'll have to change your throttle cable set up... Not to be a downer or try to change your mind, but... I would probably stick with the efi set up until you get all your parts gathered and know all the changes your going to make to convert back to carb. Also I don't know if budget is a concern at this point but you might also consider the cost of all the adaptions you'll have to make... and if you are going to upgrade the intake, carb, cam, and do head work you be looking at a cool $1000 in parts pretty easily.

joshofalltrades 04-14-2011 06:22 PM

And all that leads us to ask if the money would be better spent buying a carb truck and not have to put all the work into it....

patman247 04-14-2011 07:26 PM

Im getting the offenhauser DP and an edelbrock 650 carb no worries I got this all worked out

nstueve 04-15-2011 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by patman247 (Post 10221922)
Im getting the offenhauser DP and an edelbrock 650 carb no worries I got this all worked out

The eddy 500cfm is more than enough to run a 4.9L I6... You might be running it rich with 650cfm. The eddy 500 is a plug and play carb... I myself am only running a 390cfm...

zxwut? 04-15-2011 08:16 AM

By the time you are done, you could have swapped in a 351 or 460 :D

nstueve 04-15-2011 08:29 AM

the I6's are good motors and hard to beat for low end torque, reliability, and a few more mpgs... Chances are patman didn't need the extra power to tow at highway speeds or wanted to pay for the extra gas the 460 or 351w would guzzle down.