Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Wastegate solenoid (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1054751-wastegate-solenoid.html)

ttttmaxx 03-31-2011 09:13 AM

Wastegate solenoid

Good morning guys,
I noticed something yesterday that I should have seen when I bought my truck last year. I was cleaning under the hood and noticed that the previous owner had the wastegate unplugged? When I bought eh truck I immediately ordered a Dptuner and now I'm wondering how this effects Jody's tunes? I assume Jody's chip needs this plugged up for whatever reasons? Im not a turbo guy so dont really understand the ins and outs of the wastegate system. Can someone help explain what the prior owner was trying to achieve by unplugging the solenoid? Maybe he determined it was not functioning correctly? Is there a way to check the solenoid? and shouldn't I hook this back up for chip purposes? What do the red and green lines actually do? Thanks for educating me on this in advance. Maxx

Riffraff Diesel 03-31-2011 09:26 AM

You are probably talking about the red line to the wastegate actuator, correct? If so, this won't affect tuning and only keeps the PCM from pulling off boost early.

ttttmaxx 03-31-2011 09:30 AM

wastegate

Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance (Post 10162825)
You are probably talking about the red line to the wastegate actuator, correct? If so, this won't affect tuning and only keeps the PCM from pulling off boost early.

What Im talking about is the there is the plug on the solenoid. The electrical plug which is supposed to be plugged into this is just dangled next to it? thanks Maxx

ttttmaxx 03-31-2011 10:02 AM

wastegate

Originally Posted by ttttmaxx (Post 10162832)
What Im talking about is the there is the plug on the solenoid. The electrical plug which is supposed to be plugged into this is just dangled next to it? thanks Maxx

Im trying to understand how this system works in general, so if the solenoid is unplugged does it make more or less boost? If its unplugged I assume the only thing keeping the wastegate closed is spring pressure inside the actuator? And this starts to open at around 5 to 7 psi? Seems like I definitely need it plugged in unless Im way off base with my thinking (Which I usually am). Thanks

JT250 03-31-2011 11:00 AM

It allows it to build more boost w it unplugged. This equals more power and efficiency. In our trucks you don't need to blow off till around 25 to 28 from what I've been told. Those number will keep you running safe. You could run up to 40 w a different turbo on a truck with stock injectors. After 40 you have to introduce more fuel. Most people unplug the red line from the actuator.

JT250 03-31-2011 11:04 AM

If it is opening too early you can tighten the arm that connects it to the exhaust housing.

ttttmaxx 03-31-2011 11:07 AM

wastegate

Originally Posted by JT250 (Post 10163259)
It allows it to build more boost w it unplugged. This equals more power and efficiency. In our trucks you don't need to blow off till around 25 to 28 from what I've been told. Those number will keep you running safe. You could run up to 40 w a different turbo on a truck with stock injectors. After 40 you have to introduce more fuel. Most people unplug the red line from the actuator.

Thanks Jason, Is the same result by just unplugging the red line versus unplugging the wastegate solenoids electric connection? I have been doing some searching and it appears most unplug the red line as you say, but I cant find any info on having the solenoid unplugged. Does this do the same thing? Maxx

JT250 03-31-2011 11:19 AM

Don't know about the electrical connection. I have not ever been told to unplug it. someone else might chime in later today nd offer more insight. I wouldplug that in and unplug the red line from the wastegate and push it over the threads of on intercooler boot clamp.I can build 30 psi with the things done in my previous post.

cj45lc 03-31-2011 11:21 AM

Is the elect plug under the turbo? If it is it's for the ebv, it closes when the engine is cold for faster warm-ups.

ttttmaxx 03-31-2011 11:23 AM

No its not the ebv. This is on the front side of the solenoid at the ypipe