Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Projects (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum209/)
-   -   Next project (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1054539-next-project.html)

cadman2b 03-30-2011 03:37 PM

Next project

Well the V10 has been in and running for awhile now, probably 20,000 miles on it. Made custom bumpers added flares, 4.56 gears, just got 20" rims with 40" tires on it.
Now it is time to clip on a crew cab and leave the 6 1/2' bed. There is a photoshop pic of the clip I am doing. I thankful to have lots of friends to help, as I had shoulder replacement about a month ago.
This may take a little while, at least getting it painted. Going to clip off the crew this weekend and get it prepared for the final clip. New rocker panels, and bed panels to fix the rust. Once we start the final clip in a week or two I should have it together and running soon, may have to drive it with multiple colors.
Painting the bumpers, flares, and maybe the center of the cobra scoop black. Haven't decided on the rest of it yet. Molten orange, hugger orange, Harley orange, or a Yellow like on the dodge trucks. Maybe even the Lime green I saw on the new Raptor's.
Just want to change things up a bit. I bought it rolled in 2000, lifted it, v10'd it now clip it and change colors.
It is my daily driver, the v10 gets about 12-13, and that is with the old 4r70w trans. I got a trans out of a 2005 v10 that reverse went out of with 50,000 miles. So I will go thru it and get a transfer case for it soon also.
Pictures by cadman2b - Photobucket
Bryan:-drink

fordman75 03-30-2011 04:42 PM

Looks like a cool project!:-X22

cadman2b 03-31-2011 10:02 AM

6.8L V-10 in a 97 F-150 A - a set on Flickr
some pics of the v10 install

Buzz44 03-31-2011 02:14 PM

Great stuff. Interesting what you can do with the newer fords. Got a 98 myself but never thought of doing anything to it that you are doing on your 97. Keep us posted Id be interested in the bottom line dollar wise that it ends up costing you to do your project.

cadman2b 04-06-2011 06:40 PM

put pics of the clip not much to see, but it is cut off. Will see about maybe cutting mine this next weekend.
Buzz, I paid 1,000 for the engine with hardly any miles on it, sitting in a garage out of a wrecked truck.
I paid 900 for the doner truck with 1 rear door, a 9.75 disc rear end which I put in gears and installed. Will sell the bed. The other 3 doors cost 750.
Most of the labor is just me and buddies.
Paint may cost alot depending on what color I pick.

Buzz44 04-07-2011 01:53 PM

Great thats not as much as I thought it might cost. Looking forward to seeing the completed project. That was a great job on the photoshop pic of the crew by the way.

26Below 04-08-2011 02:47 AM

Badass truck! Cant wait to see how it turns out

cadman2b 04-14-2011 11:49 AM

Cutting the cab off the black truck Sunday, start stripping the cab and removing the bed Saturday. Point of no return.
Need to fiqure out a color scheme for it.

Thanks,
Bryan

cadman2b 04-17-2011 08:38 PM

Well the cab is cut and off, will cut and extend the frame 12" this week. Pics up on photobucket.
Still need color schemes and ideas!!
A little late to turn back now.

fordman75 04-17-2011 10:50 PM

Looking good so far!:-X22 I see you also don't have a problem cutting up a truck!:D

For me there would be two color choices. 1. Completely black it out. No chrome on anything. The other would be a bright Ford blue with all the trim painted black.:D But your color preferences might not be the same as mine. :D After all it is your truck!:-X22

cadman2b 04-19-2011 10:13 PM

Cut the frame tonight, will get it extended 12" tomorrow.

cadman2b 04-22-2011 05:15 PM

Getting closer, the frame is stretched, 36 gallon tank from an 07 is mounted, Cab is setting on!! Not sure when we will get back to it, busy weekend ahead, may be next weekend.

cadman2b 04-24-2011 11:38 PM

Not bad for a weeks worth of part time work!!
Thanks to great friends!!

Buzz44 04-25-2011 01:21 AM

Sounds like you are really getting with it. Keep us posted Im really looking forward to seeing that 97 and what it looks like.

cadman2b 04-25-2011 07:34 AM

Just keep checking the photobucket site for pics!!

Buzz44 04-25-2011 11:40 AM

will do ill go back and ck that out didnt realize you were adding to it.

cadman2b 04-29-2011 07:13 PM

Added some more pics, to the album. Will finish the fuel tank install this weekend, install the rear power slider, start working on setting up a 2 piece driveshaft. Didn't want to but it is too long not to have it. Put in the sound deadening material, Next week I will install the windshield and get some carpet ordered.

Buzz44 04-30-2011 10:21 AM

man you guys are really pounding it out. Oh to be young again. Lucky if I have the energy to sweep the garage floor some nights when I get home from work. That thing is really comming together.

cadman2b 04-30-2011 03:03 PM

I wish I was really young again!!
But we are pushing thru, the youngest of the three of us is 43, the oldest 53 and he is a worker, I am in the middle at 48. Had shoulder replacement 2 months ago so the friends are invaluable.
Hopefully will be driving it late next week, will have wiring to do going from the 2 door to the 4 door, need to order new carpet, paint the interior up, sound deaden, etc.
But I at least should be able to use it.

cadman2b 05-10-2011 09:52 PM

Windshield in, driveshaft w/ carrier bearing and crossmember done, 36 gallon tank completely installed. Drove it out of the shop today.
I had always ran the pump with the ground wire grounded, so basically bypassing the fpdm. Well I figured it out after alot of searching. Izzy Mustang posted a wire by wire instruction on here and after going back to the alldata found out they are backwards. Switched them around and truck started perfect, a little loud since I cut the exhaust to stretch the frame. Should install the back glass and bed tomorrow night. Have to really adjust the hinges, have to raise the doors to shut. Looks to me like to I have to remove the fenders for this.
Thinking of eggshell or semigloss black for the truck, may highlight it by making the flares and cobra scoop gloss black. Not sure on bumpers, most of my buddies want them coated with bedliner. Sound deadening, and jambing for the paint this week I hope.

cadman2b 05-10-2011 09:53 PM

Bed back on rear power slider in, Starting putting interior together, and wiring for the other two door windows and locks. Should be back to driving it this week. Then slowly get the body work done. Got to get a big enough shop to paint it in. I will post some more pics in a couple of days, check back.