Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   4 Cylinder Engines (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum58/)
-   -   93 Ranger Trouble Codes (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/105426-93-ranger-trouble-codes.html)

Meter Man 03-17-2003 09:05 PM

93 Ranger Trouble Codes

Hello Everyone,

My friend owns a 93 Ranger with the 2.3L Dual Plug Ignition. Recently he has been getting a Check Engine Light, however he has experienced no drivability problems. We checked his codes and they were 223, & 334.

Does anyone know if only one problem could be giving us both codes? Also what may be a few of the likely problems contributing to these codes?

Thank You in advance for any assistance that you may have for us.

Gary

:-tap

marvoles 06-22-2004 01:18 AM

HI gary, just ran across your posting on your friends troble codes, i my self have the code 334 what did you come up with ? thanks marvoles

Meter Man 06-22-2004 08:59 PM

Hello Marvoles, and Truck Enthusiasts, :-X21

Ford code 334 (Exhaust gas recirculation valve position sensor closed voltage higher than expected)

Well, I wish that I could tell you some news about this and how my friends 2 codes went away along with the drivability problem but I'm not sure.

Here is a quick bit of info on what may have resolved his problem.

I brought my 90 ranger to work so that we could swap Ignition Modules
"EEC IV" I think, with a Distributorless Ignition Module.

His truck was in the parking lot with a Dead Battery, and my truck was already in the garage waiting for his to be brought in.

We took the battery from my truck, placed it into his and brought his truck into the garage.

We swapped Ignition Modules and his truck would not start, then we put his module into my truck and it would not start either (now I'm scared that we damaged both modules).

"When all else fails put things back as you found them". Well I thought that I would place all 4 Ignition Module screws back into place since I was only using 2 of 4 screws on my module in his truck, and 2 of 4 screws on his module in my truck.

Guess what, It worked, both trucks would work when my battery was placed into either one (remember his battery was dead).

My friend took a short drive and had no problems and no more codes.

Anyhow it appears as though maybe, the poor connection made by the Ignition Module screws (which were slightly corroded) was causing a poor ground for the module (We are really not sure).

Before placing his module back into his truck, I cleaned all Ignition Ground connections as well as the screws. Remember to use some Heat Sink Compound between the Module and where it attaches to the manifold.

I hope that this may resolve some problems out there, maybe not your problem, but this possible fix cost no money and not much time.

I wish that I could be more help :-wink

Take Care All

Gary