Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Alternative Fuels, Hybrids & Mileage (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum146/)
-   -   refilling propane tanks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1052515-refilling-propane-tanks.html)

jonnybronco 03-23-2011 04:42 PM

refilling propane tanks

I am doing a propane conversion for my 79 Bronco. I am having a hard time finding a tank(s) that fit my budget. I am considering getting a single manifold tank that will fit between the framerails where the orginal gas tank went.

I would like to have more fuel capacity and am considering buying a few extra forklift style tanks that I would mount to my spare tire carrier.

Can I hook these tanks up directly to the fuel line to the engine? I believe the forklift tanks are not DOT approved, so I am not thinking this will fly.

Is there an easy way to fill my main tank from these tanks that could be done on the side of the road rather quickly?

What issues might I have with this?

Thanks

Jonny

Jigger2020 03-23-2011 05:04 PM

Where are you getting all the parts to do run propane, I'm pretty sure these propane powered vehicles have to pass rigorous inspections quite often.
You can transfer propane to your vehicle using a tranfer tank wearing gloves as propane will burn skin on contact.
Propane is not economical any more.Do you plan on running a dual fuel setup?

jonnybronco 03-24-2011 11:48 AM

I am not running dual fuel. I built the engine with high compression specifically for propane. The vehicle is going to be a weekend warrior, so I am not too concerned about fuel economy for a daily driver. I don't have a tow rig, so I will be driving it to the trails I plan to run and don't want to worry about running out of fuel, especially with propane being harder to find than gas.

Jigger2020 03-24-2011 01:27 PM

Look for a tank off a motorhome camper that would have a propane tank to run the appliances & the furnace, That will get you a farily large tank with the braces already on it to bolt it up to the frame.

gasman6674 03-24-2011 03:16 PM

If and I mean IF you build a box that will isolate the tank from the passenger area you can put a bigger tank inside. the box has to be vented to the outside,the tank has to be remote filled and the relief valve has to be piped to the outside. If you don't want to build a box you can buy a tank designed for that type of install, it has a metal box that covers the valves so that you can fill it, vent it etc from the outside. Unfortunitly if you can't find a used one from say a retired taxi or squad car they aint cheap. If you are wheeling be sure to skid plate and protect your tank and lines if they are under the truck.

PS a motorhome tank usally will not work as it does not have a liquid withdrawl valve to supply the engine, most are vapor only

Good Luck

Jigger2020 03-24-2011 04:10 PM

A motorhome tank will work if the motor also ran on propane, thats why I mentioned dual fuel, because thats the type of tank Jonny will need.
Everything else you said is also true Jim.
Usually the high rise camper vans ran on dual fuel..........

gasman6674 03-25-2011 07:23 AM

Over the road engines due to horsepower requirements use a liquid withdrawal system. There is a unit under the hood that uses engine heat from the coolant to vaporise the liquid and regulate the pressure. If you try to run anything much bigger than a generator on vapor you will end up with a tanksickle (frozen tank no pressure) most (but not all) motorhome tanks are vapor only and not suitable for motorfuel. It looks like from his post that he has his engine set up for straight LP if he trys to run dual fuel (LP/gasoline) he will need to retard his timing due to spark knock

jimandmandy 03-25-2011 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by gasman6674 (Post 10136731)
... If you try to run anything much bigger than a generator on vapor you will end up with a tanksickle (frozen tank no pressure)...

That is why CNG vehicles will stop before the tank is completely empty. 200psi is the practical low limit. So, an eight gallon "gasoline equivalent" tank is usually good for more like seven in actual range.

jonnybronco 03-25-2011 11:30 PM

Thanks for all the responses.

I have searched for a long time for a used tank that will fit between the frame rails and have the fuel capacity I want. I can't put a tank in the cab because I have a third row bench in the rear cargo area.

The tanks I would get if they weren't so expesive are 50" long and 12" diameter and I would run them over the rear axle. I have a 6" lift kit which will keep the tanks far enough away from the axle as long as they are offset to the side away from the pumpkin.

the best option I can find right now that fits my budget is a manifold tank that is 32" long (between frame rails behind the rear axle is 33") with two 13" diameter tanks.

What I am wanting to do is carry extra fuel in forklift tanks that I would mount to my spare tire carrier and refill my main tank from them when I get low. I am pretty sure it is possible to do it, but I think it will only work if the tank can feed by gravity into the other tank beause both tanks will be basically at the same pressure inside.

I also wonder about the legality of transporting fuel on the outside of my vehicl with forklift tanks, which I beleive are not DOT compliant.

Jonny

Jigger2020 03-26-2011 07:50 AM

Not sure about AZ, but in Canada the law says we cant transport more than 5 tanks at the time & on & on.............

Elderstarr 03-26-2011 11:23 AM

Might be worthwhile to check out these guys... Home - Propane Performance Industries Development Technolgy Systems -Cutting Edge Technology in Propane Gas Tanks

Their tanks are conformable to fit into tight areas, giving extra capacity.

Not sure on the cost though... might be pricey.