Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   Removing front center console (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1051847-removing-front-center-console.html)

artfd 03-21-2011 04:29 PM

Removing front center console

I was looking at new Fords at the dealers today. The salesman said the only vehicle they have which lack the space consuming front & center console are some of the Ford pickups, although many of them have those space wasters also.
I'm 6' tall with big feet & back & knee problems.
One thing I used to like about pickups is the empty space over the floor hump to the right of the gas pedal. I like to put my right foot up there while in cruise mode, or maybe tip my right knee over the empty space. That's how my 2001 F150 is. The newer front center consoles prevent that & I wind up with my right foot in a narrow slot right over the gas pedal. The position is uncomfortable and eventually causes me pain.
I asked about this at the service counter and was told that some owners have removed the front center console to recover the space. Occasionally there are small wire bundles or electronic modules in there, but mostly it's empty and wasted space, this was per the Ford service people.
Has anybody done this?

81beast 03-21-2011 07:29 PM

Just get a F150 that has the 40/20/40 split bench. An XL, STX, XLT, or Lariat can be had without the flow-through console.

tvsjr 03-21-2011 09:42 PM

Or get an XLT. I've pulled the entire center consoles out of 09 and 10 models to install equipment consoles for communcations gear. Yes, lots of space wasted, but the RCM (airbag brain) is under there.

awq134 03-21-2011 11:03 PM

The base of the console can be removed. I pulled mine out a few days ago to run some wires. There are two of the christmas tree type fasteners on the left side and one on the right. simply pull them out and finagle the trim around the cup holders/transfer case shift knob if applicable. The only downside is that the floor vent is right under the plastic piece and from what i saw really doesn't free up any space at all. I believe you would have to pull out the floor vent on the drivers side to free up more space.

powerstroke72 03-21-2011 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by artfd (Post 10120688)
I was looking at new Fords at the dealers today. The salesman said the only vehicle they have which lack the space consuming front & center console are some of the Ford pickups, although many of them have those space wasters also.
I'm 6' tall with big feet & back & knee problems.
One thing I used to like about pickups is the empty space over the floor hump to the right of the gas pedal. I like to put my right foot up there while in cruise mode, or maybe tip my right knee over the empty space. That's how my 2001 F150 is. The newer front center consoles prevent that & I wind up with my right foot in a narrow slot right over the gas pedal. The position is uncomfortable and eventually causes me pain.
I asked about this at the service counter and was told that some owners have removed the front center console to recover the space. Occasionally there are small wire bundles or electronic modules in there, but mostly it's empty and wasted space, this was per the Ford service people.
Has anybody done this?

If you're talking about the flow through console that runs all the way to the dash, I guess you could remove it. But then what would you do with the floor shifter? Just a thought.

Anyway, as others have said, you could opt for the 40/20/40 split bench in your truck. Or, if you opt for an XLT, you can still get the buckets with a floor console that doesn't run to the dash......it pretty much stops even with the front of the front seats. It should provide you with enough room to avoid being cramped.

artfd 03-22-2011 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by powerstroke72 (Post 10122637)
you could opt for the 40/20/40 split bench in your truck. Or, if you opt for an XLT, you can still get the buckets with a floor console that doesn't run to the dash......it pretty much stops even with the front of the front seats. It should provide you with enough room to avoid being cramped.

IMO the floor shifter is another space waster, except in my 1983 F250. My 2001 F150 has a column mounted shift lever & a useful console that does stop even with the front of the front seats, so leaves a lot of space to tap the toes on my right foot when I'm cruising. I did get a look at the 40/20/40 split bench in a 2011 pickup, and that would work for me.
How big is the RCM module?

tvsjr 03-22-2011 10:00 PM

RCM is about 8" wide, 10" long, 2" thick. There are some heavy cast supports around it that the console bolts onto.

Be careful around this box and any wiring leading to/from it!

artfd 03-23-2011 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by tvsjr (Post 10127143)
RCM is about 8" wide, 10" long, 2" thick. There are some heavy cast supports around it that the console bolts onto.

Many thanks for this info.