Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   Stock Transmission Shift points (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1050986-stock-transmission-shift-points.html)

DIYMechanic 03-18-2011 07:42 PM

Stock Transmission Shift points

Ok, so I have always been a little annoyed bythe stock shifting of my E40D but I was told when I bought the truck that the trans was about a year old. Here's the beef. My 1-2 upshifts are fine, but the 2-3 upshift takes forever. Unless I am really easy on the go pedal and the trans is up to full temperature, the truck won't shift 2-3 until 2500-2700 RPM. If I am on the go pedal, it won't shift until about 3000. What gives? I thought all this was controlled by the PCM.

The shifts are nice and firm, and other than the delayed upshifts, the tranny seems really solid. Any suggestions? Or is it just time for tunes? I have other mods and repairs I'd like to make before I do tunes (exhaust, gauges, stage 1 injectors, etc.)

Mark Kovalsky 03-18-2011 09:16 PM

The shifts are all commanded by the PCM. You need to change the programming to change the shift points.

Action4478 03-18-2011 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by DIYMechanic (Post 10109862)
Ok, so I have always been a little annoyed bythe stock shifting of my E40D but I was told when I bought the truck that the trans was about a year old. Here's the beef. My 1-2 upshifts are fine, but the 2-3 upshift takes forever. Unless I am really easy on the go pedal and the trans is up to full temperature, the truck won't shift 2-3 until 2500-2700 RPM. If I am on the go pedal, it won't shift until about 3000. What gives? I thought all this was controlled by the PCM.

The shifts are nice and firm, and other than the delayed upshifts, the tranny seems really solid. Any suggestions? Or is it just time for tunes? I have other mods and repairs I'd like to make before I do tunes (exhaust, gauges, stage 1 injectors, etc.)

Sounds like you may have a mechanical problem ...

Would you like me to find someone that can help you ?

I know a few guys that may be able to help ...

oldbird1965 03-18-2011 11:31 PM

I would get tunes. Tell the tuner the mods you are going to get and he will take care of you.

DIYMechanic 03-19-2011 07:18 AM

Yeah, I don't really think it is a mechanical issue, because everything shifts nice and smooth when I am easy on it and it really kicks into the next gear when I get on it, it just seems to hold 2nd gear a little longer than I would like. I have started rolling out of the go pedal a little to make it shift and it works pretty well. I have had transmissions before with weak solenoids and or sticking valve bodies and this doesn't feel like that, it just feels as though you're leaving the shifter in 2 and then shifting it manually, albeit later than I wish it would.

Thought about adding a bottle of trans additive to it just for PM sake. I have used Lucas before with good results and have heard some great things about Lubegard too.

97XLT4X4 03-19-2011 08:09 AM

i have a *****ty chip and my 1-2 upshift is delayed. added lucas trans-fix and it still does it.maybe you have a chip?