Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   runability issues (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1049543-runability-issues.html)

embry1123 03-14-2011 09:19 AM

runability issues

The facts; 2003 w/6.0 powerstroke. Last year the HPOP, ICP and IPR were all replaced. Truck ran great until a month or so ago. By the way the EGR was replaced and left unplugged, the cooler did not appear to be leaking. Now the truck has a shutter when running down the road at about 50-60 and beginning a slow ascent. If I depress the TOW/HAUL button to drop it out of O.D. or accelerate harder the shudder disappears until the tranny drops into O.D. again and even then, the shutter is not constant.

Using an Auto Enginuity I retrieved the codes;
1) P0269 / Cyl. 3 cicuit contribution
2) P0460 / Fuel level sensor A circuit
3) B1352 / ignition key in circuit failure
4) P0500 / Vehicle speed sensor A
5) B1342 / ECU faulted (overhead trip computer)

Also when running through some other tests I found that the KAM is showing fault. What is this and how can it effect the runability?

I cleared the codes and P0269 didn't come back right away, but the truck still shuttered as described above.

yesterday I changed the oil and filter as well as changed the fuel filters. This did not help. I also plugged the EGR back in and the problem seemed to be amplified, so after verifying that the EGR was at 0% duty cyle I unplugged it again.

If an injector(s) are or were bad, would it not set a code everytime the truck begins to shutter? I don't even want to consider that the HPOP is failing again. The injector pressure desired is always matching the injector pressure within 100psi and that difference only lasts a fraction of a second or so, also when the pressures are different doesn't corelate with the shuttering.

Any ideas???????

bismic 03-14-2011 09:35 AM

Are your batteries in good shape (individually w/ a good load tester)? All terminals and grounds w/ good connections? Have you looked for wire chaffing?

embry1123 03-14-2011 09:43 AM

Not sure about the batteries. KOEO the voltage is at 11.3, KOER voltage is at 13.5. FICM voltage is constant at 48.5. One of the batteries appears to continually build corrosion at the terminals although I clean it off every other weak. One other thing that I have noticed is when rolling the window up in the morning the headlights dim, get BRIGHT and then settle back in at their normal glow. Wire chaffing was found and repaired near the FICM where it crosses a stud, that was done at the same time I replaced the HPOP

bismic 03-14-2011 11:23 AM

You have some battery warning signs. I would get them load tested at a battery/alternator shop (or at a dealership)

embry1123 03-14-2011 11:37 AM

I'll do that today. Do you feel that this could potentially be the root of my problems? Something as simple as a bad battery can cause these types of issues? Must be a super sensitive system in these trucks.

bismic 03-14-2011 12:28 PM

I don't know how common it is, but I have heard of a few cases.