Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Urea tank - DEF SCR problems with GM (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1048527-urea-tank-def-scr-problems-with-gm.html)

porthole 03-10-2011 06:21 PM

Urea tank - DEF SCR problems with GM

2 Attachment(s)
Found this on the D/A forums. GM apparently has a few problems and while awaiting a recall to be devised, the SCR is being turned off at the dealers.

GM RECALL (soon) - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum

Rutcutter 03-10-2011 07:48 PM

Yea GM is having ALOT of problems with there systems!

blue oval fan 03-10-2011 11:51 PM

my buddy that bought a 11 dmax has been back to the dealer 3 times for DEF issues. the dealer even offered to buy the truck back from him! he said no tho :confused:

senix 03-11-2011 06:40 AM

Does any of this have to do with the tank being on the outside of the frame or just system failures?

djjoshuad 03-11-2011 06:44 AM

man... what kind of havoc is this going to cause at emissions testing locations... I guess GMers will just have to get inspected at dealers until they figure this out

kper05 03-11-2011 07:13 AM

I wonder why GM took the route of limp mode vs. our Fords keep running; the side effect seems to be more fuel burnt on the Fords.
You would think the EPA would require similar requirements for all DEF vehicles.

rickatic 03-11-2011 09:15 AM

Here is a link to a virtual "War and Peace" on the GM problem.

DEF problem - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

51 pages and counting...

EpicCowlick 03-11-2011 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by rickatic (Post 10081342)
Here is a link to a virtual "War and Peace" on the GM problem.

DEF problem - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

51 pages and counting...

Eeek.... factor this into the cost of DEF. Just reading through the thread is about $400 worth of my time! That will buy a lot of DEF!

Oh, and the time I spend on FTE is, of course, worth it.

senix 03-11-2011 09:38 AM

just sad....

F2502011 03-11-2011 11:02 AM

Can the need for DEF be eliminated that easily on our Fords and has anyone successfully done it?

rickatic 03-11-2011 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by F2502011 (Post 10081728)
Can the need for DEF be eliminated that easily on our Fords and has anyone successfully done it?

Do you like your warranty?

cummins cowboy 03-11-2011 11:38 AM

the worst vehicles I have ever seen have been GM products, funny those labels they put on have looked exactly the same since the '70's. if you have a long lasting reliable GM product I would say you got lucky. but people still seem to keep on buying.

I still remember the lumina's, berettas, astros, and those slant nose vans of the mid to early 90's knobs would come off in your hand, the door handle may break off, the dash would be bulging and the head liner sagging down on your head. ford has made some terds too, windstars and taurus come to mind and the 6.0, had a neighbor with an '06 6.0 had tons of problems sold it and bought an '11 dodge, too bad he didn't stick with ford I think a new one would have made him happy.

F2502011 03-11-2011 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by rickatic (Post 10081781)
Do you like your warranty?

dunno haven't used or needed it ;) but seriously I was just wondering if our setup was as simple as just pulling a fuse or reflashing and voila like it was never there like on the GM vehicles.

rickatic 03-11-2011 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by F2502011 (Post 10081874)
dunno haven't used or needed it ;) but seriously I was just wondering if our setup was as simple as just pulling a fuse or reflashing and voila like it was never there like on the GM vehicles.

It appears to me the temporary GM fix is considerably more involved than pulling a fuse. It looks like a completely new ECM program to allow the bypassing of the DEF injection system without triggering CEL's and limp mode operation. I would think you would need to backwards engineer the computer coding to duplicate the results. GM and Ford have the source code so it is easier for them. JMO

Look at Trucklands thread. He just found out his warranty was worth at least $2000.

Regards

stsmark 03-11-2011 02:26 PM

A couple of thoughts, I'm really glad the friend did not give his Dmax back in the previous post. No 2011 Dmax and we would not have free 400/800. I do find it ironic at how easy (and quietly) GM was able to get an open ended exemption out of EPA and CARB. ;) I seem to remember a bunch of folks (not here) bagging on Dodge about having an exemption since they weren't using DEF this year when in fact they just have a different strategy for treatment.

Other than having to fill it DEF is our best friend, it knocks down NOX emissions with out any performance affect in fact the opposite is true. A large portion of the fuel economy gains of our engines over the 6.4 is the reduction of EGR required due to the DEF doing the same job. If I had a choice I would have a 20 gallon DEF tank and no EGR system in a heartbeat. If for no other reason than the contamination of the oil it causes.