Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   95 f250 HARD shifting problem (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1047966-95-f250-hard-shifting-problem.html)

jonc123 03-08-2011 10:07 PM

95 f250 HARD shifting problem

hey all, I have a 1995 f250 7.5L 460. This thing shifts very hard from 1-2 and into R. I had the tranny rebuilt from a transmission shop and it still shifts very hard. Brought it back and they cant figure it out. they say that is just how it is.
Is there anything else it could be like a tranny module or something?
Any help would be appriciated.
Thanks
Jon

rla2005 03-09-2011 07:27 AM

The transmission is 100% electronic controlled, it would be my best suggestion to check for codes. Many times there can be a problem without having a Check Engine Light. Warm up the engine and transmission then do this: Ford Fuel Injection » How To Run a Self-Test or purchase one of these: Equus 3145.

Conanski 03-09-2011 10:22 AM

You have a sensor problem... pull the codes.

jonc123 03-11-2011 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by rla2005 (Post 10071855)
The transmission is 100% electronic controlled, it would be my best suggestion to check for codes. Many times there can be a problem without having a Check Engine Light. Warm up the engine and transmission then do this: Ford Fuel Injection » How To Run a Self-Test or purchase one of these: Equus 3145.

I just ran the codes twice and nothing, any other ideas?
would a speed sensor come up in the codes or transmission module?
Thanks

rla2005 03-11-2011 06:52 PM

Define nothing....At the very least you should get the 111/111 System Pass code.

The engine and transmission are both controlled by the PCM....Powertrain Control Module aka ECM aka EEC-IV

jonc123 03-11-2011 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by rla2005 (Post 10083165)
Define nothing....At the very least you should get the 111/111 System Pass code.

The engine and transmission are both controlled by the PCM....Powertrain Control Module aka ECM aka EEC-IV

Yes I got the 111 code. both with vehicle on and off.

rla2005 03-11-2011 07:32 PM

It is possible to have a TPS or VSS problem without triggering a code. You can test the TPS output with a meter to see if there are dips/ripples in the output signal. The VSS is a little tougher without an oscilloscope.

Use this as a reference for the TPS: Ford Fuel Injection » Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)

Many times when the VSS has a problem it will trigger a code, but for you that is not the case. If the TPS appears okay, then I would suggest trying a new VSS.

jonc123 03-11-2011 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by rla2005 (Post 10083285)
It is possible to have a TPS or VSS problem without triggering a code. You can test the TPS output with a meter to see if there are dips/ripples in the output signal. The VSS is a little tougher without an oscilloscope.

Use this as a reference for the TPS: Ford Fuel Injection » Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)

Many times when the VSS has a problem it will trigger a code, but for you that is not the case. If the TPS appears okay, then I would suggest trying a new VSS.

ok thanks so much, im going to look at the TPS, I think i replaced the VSS years ago. Ill report back

subford 03-12-2011 12:43 PM

You may have a bad EPC solenoid or a bad wire (shorted to ground) in the harness going to the solenoid.
Could also be the PCM Computer or as rla2005 said the TPS.

jonc123 03-22-2011 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by subford (Post 10085590)
You may have a bad EPC solenoid or a bad wire (shorted to ground) in the harness going to the solenoid.

It occured to me that I had to replace the instrument cluster a while back. What happened was that something in the cluster was making the truck sputter like it was running out of gas, i had a ford master tech come look at it and he said it was the cluster. after I got a new cluster from a junkyard it fixed the sputtering problem but tranny was hitting R and 1-2 HARD. If I didnt put a cluster in from the same engine and tranny would this cause the hard shifting? I got it from a junkyard and dont remember if it was the EXACT same engine etc. as mine
Thanks...

subford 03-22-2011 06:32 AM

I have no idea how something in an instrument cluster would make and engine have a sputtering problem.
You have no out going signals from the instrument cluster other then to turn on the alternator and the speed signal form the PSOM to the PCM.
I do not think your ford master tech knew what he was talking about.
If anyone can explain how an instrument cluster could do this please post in this thread.

On the other hand the PSOM in the instrument cluster can cause hard shifting in the forward gears as if the PCM loses the speed signal the transmission will go to max oil pressure.
I do not think this would have anything to do with "R" however.

jonc123 03-22-2011 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by subford (Post 10123149)
I have no idea how something in an instrument cluster would make and engine have a sputtering problem.
You have no out going signals from the instrument cluster other then to turn on the alternator and the speed signal form the PSOM to the PCM.
I do not think your ford master tech knew what he was talking about.
If anyone can explain how an instrument cluster could do this please post in this thread.

On the other hand the PSOM in the instrument cluster can cause hard shifting in the forward gears as if the PCM loses the speed signal the transmission will go to max oil pressure.
I do not think this would have anything to do with "R" however.

Well thats what I thought but when I replaced the cluster it was fixed. however I think I may have gotten one from a 5.8L. When I had this problem the Tac would jump arround out of control and it would sputter, Stall and act like it was running out of gas. The guy came by and disconnected the VSS and it corrected it but the tranny hit hard. He told me I needed a new cluster. I replaced the cluster, reconnected the VSS and it wasnt sputtering anymore, but the tranny still hit hard.
And ya R hits really hard, probably worse than the others.

jonc123 03-22-2011 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by subford (Post 10085590)

Hey, where is the epc solenoid and is there a way to test it?
Thanks

subford 03-23-2011 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by jonc123 (Post 10127523)
Hey, where is the epc solenoid and is there a way to test it?
Thanks

Yes, here is the test for its coil:
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g9...on/E4OD031.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g9...on/E4OD037.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g9...4OD208-308.jpg
/

Gerald Carrillo 06-01-2020 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by jonc123 (Post 10070927)
hey all, I have a 1995 f250 7.5L 460. This thing shifts very hard from 1-2 and into R. I had the tranny rebuilt from a transmission shop and it still shifts very hard. Brought it back and they cant figure it out. they say that is just how it is.
Is there anything else it could be like a tranny module or something?
Any help would be appriciated.
Thanks
Jon

. Hello Jon did you ever figure out what the problem was. Because I am having the same one