Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   New owner of a '57 f100 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1047893-new-owner-of-a-57-f100.html)

my57ford 03-08-2011 07:15 PM

New owner of a '57 f100

Hey all, I am a new and proud owner of a 1957 f100..In order to get it road ready I know that it is going to need all new leaf springs, tires, and headers and exhaust. i would definitly appreciate any help on where I should start looking for these parts and should I go all new or just try and find some used. thanks for your help!

nice1960f250 03-08-2011 07:18 PM

any pics i love these year models

ibuzzard 03-08-2011 07:46 PM

If you are budget-minded, and have the original springs,you might consider having them re-arched.Both Sandersons and Red's Headers make quality Y- block headers,you can install them yourself and run the truck to your local exhaust shop.Also,both Jeggs and Summit Racing will have headers for Y-blocks.Good luck and Welcome to FTE.

windsor8689 03-08-2011 09:50 PM

like the buzzard said, if your on a budget get it running first, As for me I took the whole thing apart down to the frame, painted the frame,weld n fix the cab, cleaned and inspected all the suspension,steering, replace parts as I go.....

I am on a budget build and i figured my truck is gonna be well....... A TRUCK!, im gonna use it like a truck.. Alot doesnt need to be spent right away...Its al least taken me 2yrs to get where im at.....I cant wait to get it back on the road!

bobbytnm 03-08-2011 09:57 PM

Welcome to the board!

There's lots of options out there, spend some time here reading old threads, you'll find tons of useful info.

My suggestion is to get the truck up and running to where you can drive it, get to know it, let it get to know you. It will eventually let you know what it wants, wether its a complete bone stock restoration, mild custom, full blown radical hot rod, or justs a nice truck with basic upgrades to make it safe and nice to drive. As an added bonus you will make some great memories with the truck which will help carry you through the dark times...oh yea, there will be dark times...LOL. It happens to all of us, we'll get in a rut where we can't see any end to the massive pile of parts that is supposed to be a truck.
Those memories you created will help keep the motivation going

Post some pics when you can, we love pics

Good luck
Bobby

backntyme55 03-08-2011 10:21 PM

great choice you are in for lots of fun. i have a 55 truck but that one isn't ford. look up classic performance parts (cpp) and performance online for brake and suspension stuff. lmc trucks makes parts for it too.find a nsra event close to where you live and go to one. distributors come to those shows and you can really get rolling. i own 2 ford trucks too.