Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   New PCM Recal. 11B23 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1047380-new-pcm-recal-11b23.html)

teh4pwr 03-09-2011 08:45 PM

Good point. But, my concern is: what if they dropped the 560 LBFT of torque, what my 08 was advertised to produce. Shouldn't I get a rebate because its not what I originally purchased.

No matter. Its done. The recal can't be taken out....

By the way, during a regen, I can't get full torque... The boost gauge doesn't go over 30 PIS when its in regen mode.

Again, it all academic. It is what it is.

Tom H
08 F350 KR
Love the truck/hate the mileage!

cheezit 03-09-2011 08:47 PM

Tom I understand both sides and I feel for the end customer. If you had any idea of how well this engine has feed my family you would both run and cry.

Tom 03-09-2011 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by teh4pwr (Post 10075054)
Good point. But, my concern is: what if they dropped the 560 LBFT of torque, what my 08 was advertised to produce. Shouldn't I get a rebate because its not what I originally purchased.

First of all, not to be a wise guy, your truck makes 650 ft-lbs of torque!

Secondly, you would never see it happen. Just about any lawyer in the country could argue that each of us agreed to purchase a truck meeting certain specifications, and that the warranty requires that Ford stand behind these engines for a certain amount of time and miles to perform as designed. De-rating these engines after purchase would no longer deliver what was promised, and therefore could be considered a breach of contract. They have an obligation to meet, and they will do so.

No 6.4L flash, from the very first programming to the latest flash you just got produces peak HP and torque during a regen. This is the engine operating as designed, not a modification made by later tuning.

This flash won't affect the way the truck runs in any meaningful way, but it very well could save your engine. What's not to love?

cheezit 03-09-2011 09:00 PM

and the other upside is it really cant make the fuel milage go down :(

teh4pwr 03-09-2011 09:18 PM

Thanks Tom, I had forgotten 650... Big difference.

And you are very right. Good luck getting a settlement. Like I said, its all academic.

My truck never appeared reduced power during a regen when I first got it. I got min in May of 07. Thats when they would spit flames out the pipe. Way cool. Way dangerous.

It wasn't until after the second or third recal that it started. The boost gauge would go to ~34 even during a regen.

Now maybe your right, and it just miss indicated originally. Who knows.

Thanks!

Tom H
08 F350 KR

Eric326 03-09-2011 09:52 PM

No complaints out of the new PCM flash so far, it's too early to say for sure whether I am seeing increased mileage...but so far "lie-o-meter" is showing improved. Also I have not had a regen cycle yet to comment on any changes in that regards. Hopefully some other people can comment on the flash as they get it.

5thwheel-in 03-10-2011 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Eric326 (Post 10075391)
No complaints out of the new PCM flash so far, it's too early to say for sure whether I am seeing increased mileage...but so far "lie-o-meter" is showing improved. Also I have not had a regen cycle yet to comment on any changes in that regards. Hopefully some other people can comment on the flash as they get it.

glad some else posted this first....my lie-o-meter is definately showing about 0.8 to 1 MPG more for my drive to work. Now bear in mind that is only over 2 days and about 40 miles so it may not mean anything. Prior to the flash, my lie-o-meter was fairly accurate....not sur now...

5thwheel-in 03-10-2011 06:10 AM

interested in cheesit's thoughts on this.......the following is cut and pasted from a response on another forum....

"Anywho on to the reflash.... this is what it says it fixes...
"In some of the affected vehicles, customers could experience one or a combination of the following symptoms: illuminated Malfunction Indicator Light or Wrench Light, runs rough, reduced power, excessive smoke from the exhaust, fuel smell from crankcase, coolant loss, and/or unusual engine noise. These symptoms could be caused by concerns that may eventually result in significant engine damage and a lengthy, costly repair. Ford has developed calibration improvements to the PCM with improved fault detection capabilities that allows the vehicle to quickly detect and react to issues before damage occurs."

Also I noticed that the "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" message stays illuminated until it's completed like they used to.

I can't exactly remember what the Mechanic said but something that used to take its reading from the Exhaust Back pressure sensor is now getting its reading from 3 other sensors. "

Jims 08 stroker 03-10-2011 06:53 AM

Hi Guys has anyone with a programmer and a delete kit on their truck had the reflash I was wondering what they did since they have no filter and sensors. I have the mini maxx and 4" str pipe no cat or muffler and lovin it.

sdetweil 03-10-2011 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jims 08 stroker (Post 10076326)
Hi Guys has anyone with a programmer and a delete kit on their truck had the reflash I was wondering what they did since they have no filter and sensors. I have the mini maxx and 4" str pipe no cat or muffler and lovin it.

I think you would have to return to stock to get the flash on without throwing codes..

I am about to spartanize mine.. thinking of getting this flash done before hand.

Sam

senix 03-10-2011 07:45 AM

should be able to revert back (to stock) and get the flash and then benefit from the fault code enhancements.

If it still retains the cleaning exhaust filter message then I may go ahead and get it done.

Eric326 03-10-2011 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by senix (Post 10076519)
should be able to revert back (to stock) and get the flash and then benefit from the fault code enhancements.

If it still retains the cleaning exhaust filter message then I may go ahead and get it done.

As soon as I get a regen I'll confirm that.

RuralSurvivalGuide 03-10-2011 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jims 08 stroker http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...s/viewpost.gif

A tech was on another forum I believe from SCT, and said that they do not have the paramaters of the new flash yet.
He went on to say that if your truck is tuned and reflashed, it would revert back to stock and go into a perpetual regen. They are working on getting these new flash paramaters.
I believe this is the gist of what he was saying...my memory is goin.

He didn't have info on Spartan or H&S, I would call 'em before getting this.

smotrs 03-10-2011 02:29 PM

On one of the other forums, some tuners chimed in that they do not have the strategy yet for this flash. So it's possible you will not be able to re-tune your truck after this flash is applied.

Check with your tuner company before getting the flash.

sdetweil 03-10-2011 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by smotrs (Post 10078030)
On one of the other forums, some tuners chimed in that they do not have the strategy yet for this flash. So it's possible you will not be able to re-tune your truck after this flash is applied.

Check with your tuner company before getting the flash.

I forwarded on the Spartan for their feedback as I am about to spartanize...

sam