Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   New PCM Recal. 11B23 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1047380-new-pcm-recal-11b23.html)

Chief409 03-29-2011 08:05 PM

i had the update installed, but I have a question.

Shouldn't all the trip miliage settings, MPG, etc., reset to zero if it was installed. Mine didn't, I wrote them down to compare.

And to tell the truth, with a 2000 mile trip hauling the trailer starting this weekend, I'm not hot on the idea of new code being loaded just prior to leaving. I've been making my living in the computer field for 40 years, so unless there's no choice, I never would have gone in untill AFTER the trip for this update.

sawtooth 03-29-2011 08:28 PM

It would be nice if it fixed the " Trans Rev and Slam" thing that many of us are having. Mine hasn't done it in a while but i'm sure when i get in the right situation it will do it again.

sdrono 03-29-2011 08:34 PM

Chief you are right mine were reset. I filled up today and after about 80 miles and put in 5.5 gallons. You can do the math. On the way home from filling up LOM indicated 16.0 mpg. Guys I have very seldom obtained that mpg on the way home on this jaunt. As to recommending not having it done my dealership didn't seem to have any problem with doing it. Seems they done several. If this mileage continues and there are no other issues I will save my bucks on tuner till out of warranty. I plan to take a short trip this weekend and will fill up after that and report my results.

RoadJunkie 03-29-2011 08:52 PM

I went in to have the flash done today but, after talking to the diesel service manager, we decided to wait. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" was his philosophy. He also indicated he had one truck owner that was complaining about poor fuel performance following the flash. Also, there is no going back!

Chief409 03-29-2011 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by sdrono (Post 10156412)
Chief you are right mine were reset. I filled up today and after about 80 miles and put in 5.5 gallons. You can do the math. On the way home from filling up LOM indicated 16.0 mpg. Guys I have very seldom obtained that mpg on the way home on this jaunt. As to recommending not having it done my dealership didn't seem to have any problem with doing it. Seems they done several. If this mileage continues and there are no other issues I will save my bucks on tuner till out of warranty. I plan to take a short trip this weekend and will fill up after that and report my results.

Well, if they didn't do the flash correctly (or at all), when I get BACK from the trip the truck will be due for a 5k, and I'll have them check and re-flash the PCM then, if necessary. If the increased mileage is proven out, it'll be worth it.

DynamoDale 03-30-2011 03:11 PM

I got it done today finally and seems like it has more power, Has anyone else noticed that or is it just me thinking it does.

aquaman 03-30-2011 05:04 PM

I did mine last week and about 200miles ago. Most of my driving is 60/40 city/fwy. Compared to original flash, I first thought there was no difference, but as I'm driving the same 'usual routes' every day, I seem to notice:
- slightly higher boost on acceleration
- slightly lower steady state boost when cruising
- shifting seems a tad more refined...most notable is in 4th when the TC locks right around 35mph. It used to lurch a bit; now it's less obvious

Maybe it's all psychological... so it'll be interesting to hear what y'all are seeing...

I've been driving around with a near full DPF this whole time and I had an incomplete regen the other day, so I can't comment on mpgs yet since it's likely be be skewed because of it.

From reading other posts, it seems like the '08 guys are seeing the most improvement.

bnmccoy 03-30-2011 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by sawtooth (Post 10156376)
It would be nice if it fixed the " Trans Rev and Slam" thing that many of us are having. Mine hasn't done it in a while but i'm sure when i get in the right situation it will do it again.

My truck when new had an occassional 'slam' on the 2-3 shift; got the first flash following my complaining about the shifting; then it went to an occassional 'flair' on the 2-3 shift. Got my second flash which was the continual 'on' display of 'cleaning exhaust' message; and this flash did nothing to correct the occassional 'flair' on the shift.

Today I got the latest flash. Had a 20 mile interstate drive and looking for the improved mileage; I wasn't seeing it, maybe worse. About 5 miles from my destination the cruise control drops out and the dash alternates between displaying 'reduced engine power' and the wrench symbol.

I call the dealership, make arrangements to bring it in first thing in the morning. I had also been complaining about my very slow creep of coolant loss, they ask if I had low coolant, I say no, it looks as if they added some before I got the truck back; as I had looked prior to heading out of town on the interstate. (They say they found a small leak in lower right of radiator and $1,700 on my dime to replace, I had declined).

I get to my destination, open hood, no coolant issues. Turn truck off, then restart; wrench and message still there.

Hour later start truck to go eat dinner; wrench and message gone.

Not likely to be water in fuel; just changed fuel filters, transmission fluid, transmission internal filter, and oil & filter prior to taking truck in. I am at 59K miles.

The LOM was 12.n mpg when the reduced engine power message popped up. Interestingly when I started it to go eat dinner it was up to 16 mpg. I was still doing 60 mph on interstate with the reduced power; originally cruise control was set at 70 mph.

I am not staying at my primary home tonight so I don't have my scan tool and I haven't moved my autoenginuity over to this new laptop. I would sure like to know what code is set.

Guess I'll find out what the dealership says tomorrow; I did get a couple of pictures of the dash in case they think I'm blowing smoke and there is no code stored.

Bob

senix 03-31-2011 05:05 AM

When I had just bought my truck I had this 2-3 slamming. I had 600 miles on the truck. It would throw it in limp mode and the wrench light.

Bad TCM.

bnmccoy 03-31-2011 11:48 AM

Dealer called, apparently there was a code related to thermostat problem. I assume some difference between oil and coolant temperature but I actually only know they said thermostat problem. I can only hope that when they check the thermostats that they are hyper-extended; then as I understand the TSB for radiators the radiator replacement would be covered.

I know the technician did the previous test prior to the current measurement TSB where they compare oil and coolant temperature and there was no problem indicated. This was last year before they came out with the new TSB and to measure the thermostat with a rule......

My coolant temperature was about 12 o-clock when the reduced engine power message came on.

There was no message all the way to the dealer this morning; about 20 miles of interstate @ 70 MPH then 10 miles of urban driving.

I do think maybe the mileage is better when the RPM's are 2,000 and below; but, I don't see any difference at 2,250 RPM and 70 MPH with my 4.10 gears. This based on very short term experience and the message center mileage indication.

Bob

bnmccoy 03-31-2011 07:09 PM

The bypass thermostat was hyper-extended upon inspection; therefore my radiator is being covered under warranty.

I would say the new flash is better as it was capable of detecting the problem.

I am a happy camper. Truck was ready today; but, I had to be someplace else and could not pick it up. I will get it in the morning.

Bob

slowmans 03-31-2011 07:26 PM

the 2-3 shift flare is part of the shift pattern , It will never be what you want it to be.It was designed to do that.

bnmccoy 03-31-2011 08:21 PM

Well if it is part of the 'pattern' then one would think it would do it all the time not just every now and then, and maybe go a month w/o doing same?

Now if you meant to say it is part of the transmission adaptive learning strategy I might buy that as it has been posted that this might be what is happening by former Ford transmission engineer, IIRC.

The truck had no flare originally; it was an occassional slam. The torqshifts on my 04 and 06 never had this problem. Since the random problem changed after the first flash from a slam to a flare, I am inclined to believe it is related to the adaptive learning or at least the programming. I also believe finer tuning of the programming may correct same.

Bob

Chief409 03-31-2011 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by bnmccoy (Post 10165562)
Well if it is part of the 'pattern' then one would think it would do it all the time not just every now and then, and maybe go a month w/o doing same?

Now if you meant to say it is part of the transmission adaptive learning strategy I might buy that as it has been posted that this might be what is happening by former Ford transmission engineer, IIRC.

The truck had no flare originally; it was an occassional slam. The torqshifts on my 04 and 06 never had this problem. Since the random problem changed after the first flash from a slam to a flare, I am inclined to believe it is related to the adaptive learning or at least the programming. I also believe finer tuning of the programming may correct same.

Bob

In your normal driving do you normaly use "Tow Haul". If you don't try that and see what happens. I had a problem with the jerk with my '08 F250 work truck and tried that. It worked for me. Also the '09 F350 and a '05 F250. It seems the truck needs to "learn" both modes.

slowmans 04-01-2011 01:19 PM

My 06 did it too.... I don't know what to tell ya bud...... That's what I have been told by a few people and I believe it.