Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Competition (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum187/)
-   -   Alumidiesel? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1047333-alumidiesel.html)

vtmudder95 03-07-2011 07:40 AM

Alumidiesel?

ok, i had a crazy thought that probebly is a stupid one but here goes. we all know that diesels are awsome:-jammin. the power the fuel econ and the just lplain awsome factor. the onre thing thats not that kool(aid) is the massive weight:(. my thought is, would an aluninum block diesel work? or am i just crazy?

vtmudder95 03-07-2011 08:32 AM

i just think a light weight cummins or powerstroke with all the power of a normal one would amazing. then you wouldn't have to worry as much if you were swapping into a light duty truck.

vtmudder95 03-07-2011 11:05 AM

really no one cares.:(

snakedoc 03-08-2011 12:48 PM

i dont think it could take the high pis or temp, it melts at ~1200F

dcf4x4 03-08-2011 01:01 PM

A number of years ago my old boss saw a prototype diesel BMW(maybe) SUV with a supposed 500,k on it driven by some clean cut guys with exterior sensors and what appeared to be a satellite connection on top. It had dual turbos and a ceramic block, I don't remember any other info although Jeff spent his lunch time chatting with them as they were on theirs.

Never heard anything about it in the mags and never bothered to investigate as this was before internet. Didn't even think about it till you just asked about aluminum blocks.

vtmudder95 03-08-2011 01:03 PM

yah, yur right. o well.

vtmudder95 03-08-2011 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by dcf4x4 (Post 10068632)
A number of years ago my old boss saw a prototype diesel BMW(maybe) SUV with a supposed 500,k on it driven by some clean cut guys with exterior sensors and what appeared to be a satellite connection on top. It had dual turbos and a ceramic block, I don't remember any other info although Jeff spent his lunch time chatting with them as they were on theirs.

Never heard anything about it in the mags and never bothered to investigate as this was before internet. Didn't even think about it till you just asked about aluminum blocks.

huh thats weird. :cool:

SteveBricks 03-08-2011 02:03 PM

VW has some aluminum block diesels...so does Mercedes.

Between development cost and the limited number of potential buyers I can't see anyone producing aluminum blocks for diesel competition trucks.

vtmudder95 03-09-2011 10:03 AM

yah it was just something that poped into my head.

vtmudder95 03-09-2011 10:07 AM

yup, i've seen the mercedes.

patrickke 03-19-2011 10:12 AM

Talk w/ doug at gogo he can enlighten you on the possibilities

KEITH69RANGER 04-03-2011 09:12 PM

Detroit Diesel made some aluminum 6V53 blocks for navy in 60's, riverine boats. lister and deutz(aircooled) used alum. components. saw article in 80's for 6 cylinder deutz, large radiator for intercooler and water injection spraying onto cylinder jugs.

nitrogen 04-11-2011 10:57 AM

traditional aluminum would have to be so thick that the weight savings would not be what you think. however with some of the new alloys, and casting technology from europe i don't think its impossible. just more $ to develop and build. the new cast iron ford is using is supposed to save some weight too

Iversen-fords 06-05-2011 01:23 AM

If i can remember everything from my CAT failure anaylis class, it comes down to how strenght and properties of the block. Almost all HD Diesels are cast iron blocks. Cast iron is strong, its at a state where it will flex a bit, the carbon in the block allow some self lubrication, and its hard but yet brittle. I have no idea what kind of properties allummiunim has but i personally think it wouldnt hold up in a HD Truck engine such as Cummins, CAT and DD. Sure allumuinum is strong but idk if it could handle cavatation erision.

Just some thoughts that are somewhat resonable. If i had my CAT notes, i could very easily tell you but its 6 months since that class

Jax Rhapsody 07-03-2011 07:55 PM

If anything a steel block probably would be better than aluminum.