Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   92 F150 2wd 4.9 manual to auto trans swap (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1047287-92-f150-2wd-4-9-manual-to-auto-trans-swap.html)

iamscorpius 03-06-2011 11:14 PM

92 F150 2wd 4.9 manual to auto trans swap

first post here. I have spent the past 2 weeks doing some research and searching this forum for info.

i picked up a 92 F150 2wd 4.9 with a 5 speed in it. got a great deal. $200. heres a pic if anyones interested... ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting needs balljoints and tierods. doing this week. however, the trans is pretty much toast. i have access to quite a few donor trucks(friend has 13 of them) and I am interested in doing a manual to auto swap.

i was hoping someone on here had a write up of the parts that are needed. I'm not looking for a c6 or anything. just want to drop an auto with overdrive in. from what i have gathered on here(mostly from the auto to manual swap threads) i will need the following:

auto trans(i want an overdrive trans)(which is best recommended?)
auto trans lines and radiator
auto trans shifter
rear driveshaft for a 4.9 2wd reg cab long bed f150 with auto trans
auto trans mount for crossmember

where i'm hazy at is the following:

crossmember...was told need auto CM, but also told the manual CM can just be moved forward??
speedometer...have to have a working speedo, i have seen many people having trouble with this??
auto trans computer...is one needed??
lastly...the whole shifter...is a auto trans column needed? would prefer a column shifter but a floor shifter is fine too. I never have a middle passenger.

sorry for long post but just trying to be precise and not seem like a noob. I have no hesitation on doing the swap, just want to find all my info out first.

any members perform this swap or have links/write ups for this? any and all information is greatly appreciated.

70torino429 03-07-2011 12:32 AM

Only things I know is that you're going to need a computer from an automatic truck with the same engine as your truck. Id pick the E40D if I had the choice of trans. Yes you'll also need a column. Not sure if there is a write up as most people go the other way and are swapping from auto to manual.

iamscorpius 03-07-2011 04:49 AM

As far as ford auto trannys go i've heard of c4, c6, and aod. After that im clueless haha. Tonight will be the night of researching trannys. I'll have to research the e40d.

Torino...I know. Most people go auto to stick (as I have 4 times now)(2 71 dodge darts and 2 70's chevy pickups). That's what's making it hard for me to find most of the info.

I do have another 5 speed trans that is rebuilt in the garage but a lovely snowmobiling crash this winter has made pushing the clutch pedal a painful experience at times.

I'll keep searching but I think google and 11 other forums are no help. This forum seems the best chance.

Lazy K 03-07-2011 07:17 AM

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...auto-swap.html Have a read through this link for some good info.
That guy was swapping in a C6, very strong trans but no overdrive.
You would probably be better with the AOD. No computer involved but you would have to hook up and properly adjust a TV cable from the trans to your throttle linkage.
As your truck is `92 I would think you have the speedo run from the sensor on the rear axle so that should not be a problem. You would also keep your existing engine computer and wiring. Probably easiest to go with a floor shifter.
Hopefully some of the experts will give an opinion soon.

iamscorpius 03-07-2011 04:57 PM

Thanks Lazy K. I saw that post. The one guy seems to know what he's talking about. As for right now I have a complete column, radiator and lines, and another crossmember if needed. Sounds like the e40d isn't too bad of an idea... if just swapping in a different computer and light wiring work. Have to try and find a list of what cars/trucks with what trans so I can start looking.

Nitesaber 03-07-2011 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by iamscorpius (Post 10062250)
I do have another 5 speed trans that is rebuilt in the garage

Would you be interested in selling it? lol, i have a PERFECT E4OD im thinking about swapping out for a 5 speed performance grade tranny. Let me know.

iamscorpius 03-07-2011 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Nitesaber (Post 10064939)
Would you be interested in selling it? lol, i have a PERFECT E4OD im thinking about swapping out for a 5 speed performance grade tranny. Let me know.

Hell I'd trade off all my manual parts for auto parts haha. Rebuilt trans in garage was rebuilt almost 6 months ago only has about 10k on it, maybe 8k. Only thing it needs is a slave, pulled off to put on brothers f150.

Nitesaber 03-07-2011 08:40 PM

where you located state wise? maybe we can work somthing out. lol

iamscorpius 03-07-2011 08:49 PM

I tried adding the info but didn't work. Have to try again. Anywho im in north jersey 07882.

Nitesaber 03-07-2011 08:53 PM

Ouch, Mid Florida. Bit of a drive haha. I would but it will cost me just as much in shipping to get it here if i was to buy one if ya know what i mean. Thank you tho. Unless you have a solution? :confused:

iamscorpius 03-07-2011 08:55 PM

Snickies! Yeah. Shipping would be terrible. I don't know any other ways haha.